DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Continental presures
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 am 

Hi folks,
Just fitted some Continental classic race tyres. 130/80 and 110/80.
Just looking for some suggestions on tyre pressures?
Thanks,
Richo.

Post subject: Re: Continental presures
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:24 am 

I would contact Continental for their race pressure recommendations. There is also info on page 267 of their technical manual. Let us know how you like them.
Bill
https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/20710/abaa6267089e0f16d873d3d9f2cd7034/technical-manual-2015-data.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am 

Hi
I use this tyres in same size on track.Bike 150 kg,Rider 84 kg.Front preasure 2,1 bar. Rear praesure 2,0 bar.Measured by cold tyre.
Hot weather 0,1 bar less preasur on both wheels.
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm 

It's not as simple as a single number works for all, but be very aware not to use too much pressure in a radial tyre.
We have been using the Continental 2CR on the 750 TT1 in the NZ home series this last season. Rider, Tim 'Cannon ball' Barnes.
Allow me to impart some very important advice to save an expensive day out resulting in an unwanted trip to hospital.

Radial tyres rely on flex in the carcas/ tyre wall to create heat rather than tread distortion as on cross ply tyres such as the Avon am22 or 23.
The radial conti's were designed primarily for the big multi cylinder F1 classic's which are in the 170kg region. This means on a lighter bike such as our beloved TT's the Continental's respond well to far lower pressures to generate the heat. Through some thorough testing we have found the best results to be 30psi in the front and 25 in the rear, and that's a HOT pressure taken either with warmers on or as the bike comes back into the pits. These two temps should ideally match. Clearly the track conditions and riding style can influence either pressure but the theory is they should be at the same pressure coming back into the pits as they were when the warmers came off before the race.

It's a matter of re-training your mind to think "hot pressure" and the cold pressure is only a consequence.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm 

Cannon ball..?...uh oh. That's great feedback Glyn, thank you. It might also be helpful if you let us know what size tires and wheels you were using, and how you think these newer Conti's might compare with other race tires you may have recent experience with? We only want all your secrets. Is that with the IOM bike that is crazy light?
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm 

Thanks heaps for the replies,

Just the info I was looking for, someone had to be using them.
I knew the pressure would be different to the cross plys, just looking for a starting point.
I ended up with very similar pressures to you Glynn, probably a little higher (31F 28R), will experiment a little more next outing.
I did really like em, felt I could be getting a bit more heat in the front, but they performed really well so I didn't change em too much.
Thanks again,

Cheers.
Richo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 pm 

Remember the scary low pressures I'm quoting are psi Hot inside the warmers. We are on 18" - 110/80 front and 150/65 rear.

I know some folk are interested so, - Isle of Man, briefly.
Practice went well all week but on race day a number of small issues conspired against resulting in an overheated the rear piston.

Issues being;
Unfortunately Chris got his finger out and was going somewhat faster than any practice laps. He mentioned after the event the Goldie he raced earlier on the same day was running leaner than expected, as were many bikes from other reports. - Info after the event. The piston manifested itself at Ballaugh bridge which is after a long flat out section of maybe 4-5 miles at near enough sea level. - weaker mixture again. Using the front mounted carb had a drawback with the air filter masking some air flow to help cool the rear cylinder. - my fault. Also with hind sight not enough safety margin on the jetting, - again my fault.
It certainly ruined the day for us, but definitely didn't spoil the week.

However, some better news is we brought some of the new radial construction 18"Avon Storm tyres home to test. Not on public sale yet but all the indicators from Europe look good so far.
As I write this I still haven't got the IOM bike back yet, but should be picking it up from Auckland next Monday when it's cleared customs. That's a mere 5 1/2 months from beginning to end. It'll be so much easier in the workshop with all my spares and tools back home !

Already identified 11 things to help resolve the overheating, and ways to quantify whats actually happening.

A big thanks must go to Tim 'Cannon ball' Barnes for all his help in the IOM. (The fool actually volunteered to go with me !) I simply couldn't have done it without him.

Lastly but by no means least, a massive round of applause to Jan and the Redfox team. Forget the fuel tank thingy, that's just nonsense and it had no impact at all on the achievement from Jan's efforts rewarded by Michael's riding. Well done fella's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:14 am 

Great effort Glynn!!!

Thanks heaps for filling us in on that!

Cheers.

Will we be seeing you back at the Island Classic?

Keep us informed on the radial Avons. I hadn't heard about them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm 

Yes, Philip island is booked for another visit in Jan. I may be helping Kevin Grant with his 888, or maybe take the Spondon across, - or maybe even take it easy and attend as a member of the general public for a change.