DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regulator and wiring question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 pm 

I would appreciate some help from the many experts of the Ducati electrical systems:

I have found that if I wire the later and bigger 2-phase Ducati regulator (SH 673-12) as found in the Haynes 2-valve and 4-valve wiring diagrams, which is two yellow wires from the stator to the reg and two red wires from the reg combined into one and sent to the battery thru a 30 amp fuse (and then grounding the two remaining wires) that it works. 14.5+/- V.

Using that same method for the smaller version, for the Paso, the 750 Sport, and probably others, it never works. Nothing but a draining battery. Some of these even come with the two reds already combined. Seems the same difference to me, and that the same wiring should work.

What am I doing wrong?

PS: I always ground them the same, but it makes no difference.

MikeV

Attachment:
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG [ 4.59 MiB | Viewed 3535 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG [ 3.97 MiB | Viewed 3535 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG [ 3.56 MiB | Viewed 3535 times ]

Last edited by 618F1 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Regulator and wiring question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

Hello, surely soon someone more 'expert of me will explain why the failure to work. I can tell you that I made the usual mistake. Paso current controller, 2-pole, 3-pole hypermotard current regulator. three poles does not work, you have to replace the rotor .... or change the wires to the copper winding by exchanging the wires and redoing the welds. do not ask me how to do it because I do not know how to do it !!! :D

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:11 am 

Mike, I too have had some electrical issues and switched to the newer style 3 phase regulators. ( I just cut one yellow and put shrink tube on it)
What happens if you take one of the reds on the older style and run it to a switch, the other to the battery?
Thankfully we have some bright lights on the forum that can get this sorted out!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 am 

huit wrote:
Mike, I too have had some electrical issues and switched to the newer style 3 phase regulators. ( I just cut one yellow and put shrink tube on it)
What happens if you take one of the reds on the older style and run it to a switch, the other to the battery?
Thankfully we have some bright lights on the forum that can get this sorted out!
Paul

In the most modern regulators one of the cables (red I think) works to excite the regulator and it works, with older ones it does not work because its construction is different.
Something similar happened to me with a ducati monster, I saw the controller of Ducati Paso was really similar and I wanted to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 am 

So, Paul, you simply ignored one of the yellow wires and something like I did worked? Then, I have seen your wiring and plumbing work, and it is fantastic, like Lou’s.

And, you could not get the Paso regulator to work Santi?

Thanks both,
MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:02 pm 

Correct Mike.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 pm 

Hey Mike...
The most common reasons for dead batteries is a bad ground, bad battery, bad regulator or bad alternator. Try running your grounding wire directly to the electronics plate with at least a ten or twelve gauge wire. All of my plates are grounded to a frame tab completely void of paint with a 3/4" wide woven copper strap. The mounting point to the plate coincidently, is one of the regulator mounting bolts. These regulators may be fussy in regards to grounding. While looking for problems with these reg's I came across some info, on strangely enough, aviation blogs. Seems a lot of flyboys think the Ducati reg's are scheisse. A lot of emphasis on keeping them cool.
Here is their recommended direct replacement for the Ducati part. Higher charging voltage and designed to work with any type of battery.

Attachments:
DSC02712.JPG
DSC02712.JPG [ 220.59 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm 

618F1 wrote:
So, Paul, you simply ignored one of the yellow wires and something like I did worked? Then, I have seen your wiring and plumbing work, and it is fantastic, like Lou’s.

And, you could not get the Paso regulator to work Santi?

Thanks both,
MikeV

I could not get it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 am 

Thanks flattop. I have heard about the grounding problem so many times that I now automatically put extra effort into it, and wiring, and ground it to the battery in addition to the electrical plate. But it makes no difference on the smaller 1980s version.

When I put on the modern one it does not even need the extra wiring. Works.

MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:09 pm 

Hi Mike...
So, not the ground. How about the battery? Does the problem persist with a regular lead acid battery, or could the older regulator not be compatible with the AGM battery?
Regards...
Flattop