DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ignition system with only one pick up and 24-2 rotor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:25 am 

...some time ago I tried to implement an Ignitech ignition which is only operated with one pick-up in combination with a 24-2 rotor in my 750 cc motor. I've had developed this together with a friend; we both tested it in our bikes. His system performed pretty well but with some flaws. Mine did not work at all - so I skipped it. While trying to get it running, I've toasted one ignition coil as well as the TCIP4 itself. In the first place, this ignition unit was meant to be used with two pick-ups and a one lobe rotor. In the aftermath, I used again the two pickup system (together with a newly acquired TCPI4) which works very well.

This summer I send my defect ignitions units to Ignitech in the Czech Republic - actually, they do repairs! In the communication with the firm they pointed out, that for the use of a 24-2 rotor it is necessary to use a special prepared TCIP4. I was not aware of that - I've always assumed that I had all degrees of freedom to program what I like - this is obviously not the case. Good to know. As soon as I've finished preparing the motor and springtime will have arrived I will test the new set up.

Kind regards

Wolf

Attachments:
24-2.JPG
24-2.JPG [ 152.78 KiB | Viewed 4575 times ]

Post subject: Re: ignition system with only one pick up and 24-2 rotor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 am 

....the original starter sprag of the Pantah motor is in my experience not very reliable. The parts of the 750 Sport do fit, with some adjustments. The hole pattern is different (I think an improvement) and has to be adjusted. Doing so it is also recommendable to balance the ignition rotor which I've did by boring some additional holes in the ignition rotor. Waiting for spring...

Attachments:
sprag.JPG
sprag.JPG [ 108.69 KiB | Viewed 4497 times ]
balance.JPG
balance.JPG [ 70.52 KiB | Viewed 4497 times ]

Post subject: Re: ignition system with only one pick up and 24-2 rotor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:43 pm 

Looking good Wolf!
Paul