DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Racing valve springs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 am 

Any thoughts on installing the lighter tension valve springs. Easier maintenance, performance, reliability (as in do they break easily)?
Flattop

Post subject: Re: Racing valve springs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:57 am 

Funny you should ask. I have two of the “correct” Ducati spring installation tools. One works better than the other; one is a joke, and one works after some grinding on it. But my fingers still suffer from the snapping they get from assembly. I developed my zip-tie method, but have finally quit that.

Have also found there are two tensions in stock springs, but the weaker ones seem rare, and do not know where they are from - they are wider when open, but bend closed much easier. Even with just my fingers. They are workable.

So I have bought a number of sets from Jan, at Red Fox. They have less tension (smaller diameter wire), but seem good quality. Easy to install. I think they are now in both the TT2 and the TT1/F1. A couple of years in both with no problems.

Having read that some racers, in the past, removed the “helper” springs it seems something much less than stock spring tension is safe. Some said that compression will close the valves that last .001”. And, after all, we are supposed to cherish adjusting our shims to perfection.

MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:20 pm 

I have a very particular technique, I take the original spring and with a tool I turn it to close on itself, after this operation I can insert the closing rocker with the fingers of the hand. ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:12 pm 

Gentlemen... My first thoughts about these springs were how they might be easier on the hands and fingers. I now see that I'm not the only one who would appreciate the benefits of a lighter spring. On the reliability side. There must be a reason why Ducati decided to use the gorilla springs in the first place.
Thank you for the replies...
Flattop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:52 am 

flattop900 wrote:
Gentlemen... My first thoughts about these springs were how they might be easier on the hands and fingers. I now see that I'm not the only one who would appreciate the benefits of a lighter spring. On the reliability side. There must be a reason why Ducati decided to use the gorilla springs in the first place.
Thank you for the replies...
Flattop

In the head desmo RT, or Desmo 450, in bevel couples, closing springs were mounted, the same as those of the traditional head without desmo camshaft, I believe that they too had the doubt ..... but will it work ??? ? The springs on the closing rocker, only serve to keep the valve still that does not vibrate on the release point of the rocker, when I was a mechanic in a team of the superstok 1000 we had the 999, the springs were not present, but because all the competitions we controlled opening and closing.
I don't measure the closing of the valve on my racing bikes, I only have to grasp it by turning the cam axis and feel the effort it makes to turn. This is what I do, it may not be right, but my 500 desmo that I have competed in Climb for many years, I have always done like this, like all my other bikes, pantah tt2 or tt1.

Profile Personal album