DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TT2 Race Tires
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:27 am 

G'day, everyone.
Here's the problem I have.
Restoring my TT2 for Historic racing here in Oz. And I'm trying to decide what wheels I should use.
I currently have a Creaky old set of 16"Front and 18" rear Campy's that I'm restoring just for show etc.. And the bike currently has been modified to run early Yamaha TZ 250 3.50x17" F and 4.50x17" R. (Great for modern rubber).
Now, I have to fit the correct brembo discs to my bike to get a logbook for Classic racing, so do I sell off the TZ wheels and get some more Campy's? And if so, what size works best for a TT2?
Can we even get sticky rubber for a 16" front wheel anymore?
Do I go 18" front and Rear?

Please let me know what my options are.
Cheers,
Corsa.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: TT2 Race Tires
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi Corsa,
Why not keep using the TZ wheels? IMO those are the best sizes (with a 160 series rear tire) for a TT. The early TZ rears w/o a cush drive can be a little hard on the sprocket mounting, as I found out, but will work. Wheels are a little easier to get squared away now that more replicas are being made, but they're not cheap.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 pm 

Yes, using the TZ wheels was the plan, but I've just been talking to the Governing Body for racing over here and I have to change my Rear Brake Disc as it's of a later period, (and too small), so I have to try and fit a Brembo onto it, and I was thinking maybe it's easier just to use the correct wheel sizes from the get go? But I'm not going to be a front runner, so I wasn't too worried about going to a different wheel dia. But having said that, I already have the wheels, just have to make the Brembo Rear disc fit.
Does anybody use a 16" Front slick on their TT2's?
Also, Does anybody have the dimensions of the 280mm front Brembo Front rotors and the rear, (260mm?) eg. Mounting hole dia, Bolt circle dia, and the offset.

Cheers,
Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:05 am 

Hi Lee, do you have a picture of your rear wheel? Early Ducati TT's did use the Yamaha rear rotor with the 6 bolt pattern and smaller center bore on the rotor. Carlo has these in different sizes and they are quite nice. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 pm 

Lee,
Measured up some rotors with a scale, so numbers given are only nominal ones.

280 & 300 fronts: 80 pilot dia, 102 bolt circle, 21 offset

(2) 260 rears:
#1: 60 pilot, 80 b.c., 14 offset
#2: 80 pilot, 102 b.c., 21 offset

I have found some subtle yet important differences between Yamaha and Ducati wheels. On my TZ 3-spoke Marvic rear, the one w/o a cush, the rotor pilot dia. is 83mm, not 80. I opened up the Brembo Ducati style rotor carrier I used on that wheel. Also, I bought a used 3-spoke Marchesini mag. front, thinking it was the same dimensionally as the 3-spoke Marvics I'm used to. Turns out, while the rotor b.c. and pilot dia's are the same, the distance between the rotor mounting surfaces is 7mm less than on a Ducati type wheel. And the length of the pilot shoulder is too short to add spacers and still have the rotors pilot properly. I'm kinda stuck with that wheel, sure is nice and light though.
Hope this helps.
Bill

Last edited by pantah_good on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm 

Pantah_Good,
Brilliant!!! That's just what I needed, thanks, Heaps!!
I can now measure up everything tonight and see what I'm up for.
I'll also take some pics to explain what I have/plan to do.

Jeez, I love this site,
Thanks again, everyone.

Lee.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: TT2 Race Tires/Wheels
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am 

OK, here's what I've found out so far.
The Campy Mag wheels I have are 3.00x16" and 3.00x18"
The front Pilot hole/boss is 63.80mm (so I'm guessing that will be for a 64mm hole in the disc),
and the bolt hole PCD is 80mm.

The Rear Disc side Pilot hole/boss is again 63.80mm, and the bolt hole PCD is 80mm, with the sprocket side 73.80mm Pilot hole/boss and a Yamaha TZ Sprocket slides right on and the bolts line up perfectly.

So, I'm guessing what I have is some Campy TZ mag wheels? (The ones in Grey Primer). And I have the 17" TZ wheels that were on my bike and these have the same bolt pattern for the front discs and the same Sprocket fitment too!!. So, I should be able to mix and match something.

One question, Did TT2's ever come with 260mm Front Discs? And if so, when did they change over to 280mm? and which forks had the 260mm and the 280mm?

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments:
SNC00479C.jpg
SNC00479C.jpg [ 145.59 KiB | Viewed 2361 times ]
SNC00475C.jpg
SNC00475C.jpg [ 141.91 KiB | Viewed 2361 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:18 pm 

Hi Lee, yes they did come with 260mm rotors and FO5 brembos and when it changed is anybodys guess. You sometimes see FO5 calipers with 280mm rotors as well. Then they moved up to the FO8 calipers and the 280mm rotors. The forks that had both types of spacing are the magnesium Marzocchi forks you see on most TT's. Hope this helps. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:01 pm 

Lee,

The best single reference book for our favorite bikes, at least until Lou finishes his, is Falloon's "Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins". The title says it all. Actually I just checked Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0760306974/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1324395269&sr=1-1&condition=all to check availability. There is ONE used one listed, yours for only a mere $1,033.62 USD. I guess I should take better care of mine. The one page he devoted to TT's says rotors were 280's. But, I'd bet $1 that no two TT's were ever exactly the same. It looks like all the Pantah's thru the Alazzurra had 260 fronts. An unscientific quick way to tell if the forks were for 260's or 280's is to measure the distance from the center of the axle hole to the center of the lower caliper mounting hole. An Alazzurra slider measures approx. 70mm, and a F1 slider measures approx. 80mm. The Pantahs/Alazzurras used F05 calipers and F1's used F08's, so there may be some difference there, but their mounting hole spacing looks the same at about 108mm.

Be careful mixing Yamaha front wheels with Ducati forks, as the rotors might not line up with the calipers. I say that from what I found with the Yamaha/Marchesini front I have. Probably could be worked around, I just don't like screwing with front brake set up very much.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:32 pm 

Oh, mr. pantah good, I have been waiting for others to comment: The bolt holes on those cute little 05s calipers are 95mm apart. Still, it is certainly safe to tell him to mix and match what will fit in this case. My only concern is the lack of a cush on the rear wheel; is that a source of possible gear failures at some time? MikeV