DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Ozzie Ducati TT2 Racebike Build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am 

G'Day, everyone.
I thought it best I start a new thread on my Ducati TT2 Race Bike build.
I'll try and show as many pics as I can and probably as as many questions as well !!! :lol:
My goal is to get the bike ready for racing sometime this year for the Period 5 Forgotten Era class here in Oz, or at the very least running and on the track. Fingers crossed and here we go.
First pics the bike as bought.

Attachments:
IMG_2102 Compressed.jpg
IMG_2102 Compressed.jpg [ 363.65 KiB | Viewed 4621 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Ozzie Ducati TT2 Racebike Build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 am 

OK, I've started to disasemble the bike and here's a few more pics of the bike with the fairing off. And also with the seat unit off. When this came off it was obvious that in it's past life it had the seat unit raised 25mm or so with some crude steelwork. So that came off, and I hand finshed it off. Also it's had some damage to the Left handside seat rail tube, so I cut that off and made a new tube and welded that into place as well.
The rest of the frame was not too bad. I checked it over and it's straight, just a few little dings that needed cleaning up. and so on with the disasembly. :)
Hopefully I'll have the frame ready and stripped soon and it's off to get some colour on it.

Cheers,
Lee.

Attachments:
SNC00470.jpg
SNC00470.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 4613 times ]
SNC00469.jpg
SNC00469.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 4613 times ]
SNC00464.jpg
SNC00464.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 4613 times ]
SNC00440.jpg
SNC00440.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 4613 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm 

Thanks for posting the photos. We all learn and see something new on projects like this, and I wish more would do the same. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 am 

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I love reading about peoples builds as we do all learn something, and it's kinda cool to see something that was worn/tired etc... being brought back to life.

I'll try and get some more pics up tonight.

Cheers,
Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am 

OK, I got my Yamaha TZ250GP wheels back from being blasted today, all the new bearings have turned up so I'll be dropping the wheels off to my painter this weekend. The colour I'm going with will be a Metalic Gold.
Now the good news, I got a phone call from my painter this morning, my frame is finished and I've attached a pic of the frame on the motor with the the Alloy Swinging arm in place. I needed to mock up the frame and Swinging arm as I need the shock length. I'm going to go with 370mm. This might seem like a lot, but I think I've got my sums right.
The paint colour we went with was Porsche Guards Red, and I reckon it looks pretty good.

In the next few days I'll have finished machining up the triple clamps and the front end can go in. So far things are progressing well.

Corsa.

Attachments:
SNC00525.jpg
SNC00525.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
SNC00524.jpg
SNC00524.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
SNC00527.jpg
SNC00527.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:10 am 

Hi, Thanks for posting the photographs and the comments regarding your TT rebuild. As Mike has already said it is exciting to see a "TT" reborn, and we all learn something new. Please keep us all informed with regular updates. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:03 pm 

G'day, Pat.
Yes, I'll do my very best to keep pushing on with the rebuild and pics, I feel a bit nervious now, knowing that you are following this thread!!! I'll try and do everyone proud as there are some truly great builds on here and people who have so much history with these great bikes. The pressures on!!!! :)

Cheers,
Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 am 

Hi Lee
Great thread, I am following your rebuild with much interest so thanks for posting.
Re. shock length......what is the length of the shock that was fitted? I think your swingarm is from the '89 to '90 750 Sport which has the shock mounting point about 40mm further back than the steel TT swingarm.
Even taking this into account 370mm does seem a tad excessive, it's possible you will have problems with the chain and swingarm wanting to occupy the same space.
If you haven't already read it, there is a very informative thread posted by forum member Graeme all about setting up a TT.
Keep up the great work, mate!

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:35 am 

Hey, Joe.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm still really excited to head out into the garage most nights, I'm hanging out to get the old girl running!! lol..
The shock that was in it is 340mm Eye to Eye. I was hoping to get a bit more rear ride height as I'm fairly heavy at the moment, (But on a Big health kick so that should change!! lol..).
I think 370mm is right on the limit, maybe even a tad too much but I'll know for sure next week when I get some more time to work on the bike.
Yes, I've been trauling the threads for info on shock lengths, Greame has some cool bikes. I'll be talking to the Ohlins importer soon to see what he has or can get.
I did see a TT2 at the Island Classic bike meet a few weeks ago that ran a Wilbers remote reservoir shock, what does everyone else use? I really want Both Comp and Rebound adjustment.
Ideas?
Cheers,
Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Hi Lee,
I don't want to come off like a set-up guru and I might be miss-reading your posts, but I think you want to be dealing with your weight with spring rate and sag settings, not geometry. When you mentioned your "sums", was that from measuring rake, trail and swing arm angle with the existing shock and wheels on the ground?

Wilbers shocks: A few years back I was shopping for twin shocks for my bevel 900ss. Wilbers had/has a very good reputation, but were pretty pricy. At the time Ed Milich / Guzzitech was selling YSS shocks. Supposedly, an engineer or two had left Wilbers, designed their own shocks, were making them in the far east, and were priced much better. I ordered a custom set, and am very happy with them. So, YSS might be an option for you. Link below.
Bill

http://www.yssusa.com/index.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next