DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source and Sizing for Oil Feed Banjo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 pm 

I give up.. I've been searching to no avail for an Earls or Russell braided line fitting compatible banjo fitting for a cam end cover. Best I could come up with was a turbo oil supply fitting out of Japan. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Source and Sizing for Oil Feed Banjo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hi Steve, I'm pretty sure I used Goodrich -2 and they worked fine. Let me know if this helps. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 am 

Hi Steve You must be referring to those stock caps with the 8 mm threads. I have also had trouble finding banjos in that flavor. Two options Ive used in the past. There is just enough room to punch them out to 10 mm but be carefull to choose a "delicate" version hose banjo. The way Ive done this is pirate the stock banjo (8 mm) from say maybe an elefant (that Lou left in my shop) and carefully weld -3 AN nipples too. I prefer -3 line with a retricter to the -2s. The -2 and -3 numbers are referrring to the inside diameter of the hose in sixteenth of an inch (-4 being 1/4 inch). I do remember that BrakeQuip gave a quote to make the -3 line with 8 mm banjo but in quantity.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:21 pm 

Hi Guys, let me start by saying the difference between a -2 to -3 is almost non existent for this application. As a matter of fact I use -3 hose when I make these lines ( I don't think there is -2 hose). The ferrule and the fitting is all -3 anyway. The only difference, and what my concern was in using it for cam end covers was the banjo end. All this being said the factory crimped rubber lines have the same size ID as the banjo feeding bolt. Much bigger than -3 anyway. If getting the maximum size oil line is your concern ( and in the case of the motor your building I understand), your best bet will be crimped lines with original size Ducati fittings. I have them from my old F1 if you need them. They will not be as sexy as AN fittings, but should serve your purpose. Good Luck. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm 

These guys http://www.spieglerusa.com can make some very nice lines for feeds to the cam cover. The oil passages are restricted at the cam and the at the block so there's no need for a big line.

-dan

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 pm 

Steve,If I remember correctly my F1 is using -3 lines with 10mm banjos. I can't recall if the bolts are 10mm or eights with a top hat spacer to centralize the banjo.The F1 is at Ducpond in semi storage/display along with the bevel 900 racer,Darmah and 750 GT[my garage is full of a Laverda and 60 Intl. Cub tractor at the moment]and I can't go out and look.Check out his video shop tour on Ducpond.com its a neat wall of stuff.
I seem to remember the earlyish 851,888, using the small banjo bolts on the oil cooler and maybe the cam blocks. I do remember making a banjo bolt out of a regular bolt that was 8mm to fix something on the 851 I had.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm 

This is becoming an interesting thread - thanks everyone so far for the input. I noticed that Speigler will build you a line with an 8mm banjo fitting specified, but I'm still hoping Gary P will chime in and tell us where he got the 8mm banjo fitting that's already on the rear cam block...

And Bill - good to hear from you!

I met Bill and his F1 at VIR in 2008 and it's FAST (even in its tired state). So's Bill..

Here's a pic of Bill's F1

And one of Bill and I entering VIR's Turn 1. The only reason I'm in front is that Bill's tires were albsolutely fried..

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:11 am 

Steve,

I'll have to look in the shop, I think I may have more 8mm banjos and bolts. I got them originally from Earl's out of Indinapolis, they are 8mm dash 3 banjos. I think I have the paperwork for the part numbers. I take it that you are changing the horizontal oil feed from a AN fitting to banjo. For the cam oil feed, you do need to restrict them to .080".

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 pm 

Hi Guys

i was looking for some aluminum 12 mm banjo bolts for my single and found this site

http://www.lantechsolutions.co.uk/produ ... leBolt.php

Eldert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm 

Hi Steve,
The Goodridge online catalog (http://www.goodridge.net/documents/down ... at_low.pdf) lists reusable M8 banjo fittings and bolts to use with their hose. I've used their stuff for many brake and oil lines, and found they work great. I go thru (http://www.carolinaracingsupply.com/) as they no longer sell direct. Hope this helps.
Bill