DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie TT2 track bike build
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:44 am 

Vive la difference !!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 am 

wdietz186 wrote:
My rods have a groove machined into the rod covering approx. 30deg. on each side of the center hole and the bearing gets the small hole 20 or so deg. advanced of TDC. Same as idea as Sports,different execution.

photo?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 pm 

Sorry Brad,They are deep inside my 900 With no plans to disassemble anytime soon. If I remember correctly the groove is about 1.5-2.00mm wide and 25ish mm long.Mr. Carrillo said it was EDM machined which I take as a better way to remove metal without inducing stress risers in the metal as cutting tools might do. I think he said it took a couple of hours to spark away the hole through the length of the rod. It is said Carrillo rods are forever and in my experience they really are. The ones in my F1 are from around 1987 and have survived more than a few piston failures and one small end was tweaked slightly for quite a while.I sent them to Carrillo for refurbishment and for about $250 they straightened,magnafluxed,shotpeened, rebored the big end, and bushed the pin,good for another 20yrs. Wonderfully quick service too!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am 

:shock:
Sorry folks, I got a little lost for a while there...
But, I'm happy to report that I have been slowly assembling the engine together whilst still waiting for some parts coming from overseas. Photo's shortly...
Suffice to say, the engine cases have been cleaned, new helicoils reinstated, all bearings and seals replaced, the crankshaft and conrods with new shells installed... So, I just have to pull my finger out and clean the gearbox shafts and install them all in to the cases and then check end float. Just for reference, zero end float for the crank, 0.2mm for all the other shafts as per the workshop manuals. Yes, there are 2 of them with sometimes differing info. Then, when all is ok and shimmed, I can replace the setup gasket with a spare new one I have.
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble sourcing piston ring kits, but have been scouring the web looking around.
Just out of curiosity, do I need to restrict the oil passages to the heads if I'm installing an oil cooler with dash 3 oil lines into the cam bearing covers? I figure with these small oil lines, there won't be too much oil flow resistance coming up from the oil pump throughout the engine and up through the oil galleries to the heads....

Photos coming soon.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:51 pm 

I have a 1mm restriction for the cams and the newer type main bearings (if you used them) have a preload in the newer type bottom....
Jarno

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 pm 

Steve, The commonly accepted preload on the crank is about .1mm [.004"] The crank will have some drag when turned but will fall of it's own accord when the heavy part of the flywheel is 90 deg. from BDC. If you are going to the trouble of checking and shimming all the shafts,why bother with a gasket? Sealer works just fine.
If you are feeding the oil to the heads through the cam blocks you don't need the passages in the cyl/head at all. The ones in my F1 are plugged with set screws in the block and the heads. It also eliminates a possible oil leak source and the head/cyl. junction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 am 

Ok Gents,
been very busy these last couple of months.
Thanks to everybody's suggestions and advice. Taken onboard and locked in.

Slowly I have been assembling parts that I'd put off for far too long. Always waiting for minor parts that never seemed to arrive.
Anyway, the first components to assemble are the forks. Again, I would have loved to purchase some of Gil's magnesium replica's but they'll have to wait. I checked the front spring lengths and decided to use them again. I'll eventually chase down some stiffer springs since I'm no longer petite...
Standard 35mm Marzocchi forks...
Attachment:
Forks1.jpg
Forks1.jpg [ 103.68 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

Then the calipers I doctored earlier...
Attachment:
Forks2.jpg
Forks2.jpg [ 121.17 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

Then I got some other parts that the painter decided to finish....
Attachment:
Assembly9.jpg
Assembly9.jpg [ 182.88 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

And....
Attachment:
Assembly10.jpg
Assembly10.jpg [ 166.82 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

So, next up is the engine assembly! FINALLY!
That was the single biggest hurdle I've endured. Don't ask why. In my earlier posts, I'm still doing the garden/landscaping and now that it's winter here...it's bike time!
That's next.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 am 

" I'll eventually chase down some stiffer springs since I'm no longer petite..."

Maybe not so light anymore, but your bike is !
Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:10 pm 

You've done an excellent job! Keep it up! ;)

Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 am 

Thanks Graeme & Carlo!
Every bit of encouragement goes a long way!

Now, I have a query regarding the pressure plate.
I researched my disassembly photos of where the pressure plate is positioned to no avail. Does it bottom out on the bosses of the hub or is there some clearance to the hub? The workshop manual is most unhelpful.

Please review the photo attached...
Attachment:
Clutch plate.jpg
Clutch plate.jpg [ 154.06 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

This is where one of the photos showed me the pressure plate. But, I can't recall if I'd already started to loosen the bolts.... :roll:

Appreciate your guidance.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next