DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veetwo cam shafts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:29 am 

Hi all, I've acquired a set of veetwo cam shafts. They have V228 stamped on them.The box is labelled F1/alla650. Does any one have the specs for these cams? Where do they come on the pantah camshaft range? Thanks. Boucher.

Post subject: Re: Veetwo cam shafts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:00 am 

Hi Boucher, visit the page below - it has links to a VeeTwo cam catalog/specification service bulletins and VeeTwo website. (though the numbers on your cam do not seem to be listed)

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10768

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:25 am 

Hi I emailed brook Henry and he said that they changed the numbers at one stage. These are v2-03-214 cams.Has any one on the forum used these before? Boucher.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm 

I can't find that number listed anywhere either. I wonder if he could just give you the usual specs ---duration, lift ? MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm 

Hi MikeV,
Follow the link in my post below, after the jump you will find another link " -- camshaft -- " which jumps to the specifications page for about 20 VeeTwo camshafts. You will find the specifications of Boucher's 214 listed there.

Let me know if you cannot locate the document.

Cheers
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:15 pm 

You're right Mike --- there it is. And it is the one with a whopping 13.1mm of lift on the intake, and 11.5 on the exhaust! Not much more duration than a stock cam. Designed as a high-torque cam. This is very close to the DP 09 for the 900ss; many have said it is hard to work with that thing. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:38 am 

Hi Mike,
Are there any Pantah cams in that list that would have a profile the same as the Montjuich P cam?

What are your thoughts on the 216 Daytona cam profile?

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:25 pm 

Honestly, the true expert here is Bike Boy --- Brad. His charts have it all (except for some of the changing V2 numbers), and comparisons between most all of the available 2-valve cams can be made there. Missing would be those still available from ORSP and those that were from GiaCoMoto. And. I guess, the "secret" cams from Ducati back in the day.

Since no one else replied I was simply saying that the very high lift on most of the V2 cams are difficult to work with. Why do so many who are knowledgeable builders use 900SS or ST2 cams if they can't find NCR or Montjuich cams?

The end. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 pm 

Guys,

Ducati cams are an interesting topic in themselves, Montjuich cams are mid 80s technology and the Vee Two cams can have quality issues. I did like the grind of the Vee Two 212/216 cams but they were hard on the valve train and required a lot of constant attention. One other point of interest was the Vee Two changed the grind of the 212 cam late in production cycle to mimic the cam they made for the DS 1000 motor but kept the 212 part number. These cams are too big for the air flow a 750/800 head can flow. I actually still have a set sitting in my tool box, they lost 4 horsepower to the 216 grind. The reason most engine builders like the 900ss fuel injection and ST2 cams is that they are more inline with airflow and cylinder head designs and technology of today. With Montjuich cams you generally have to sink the valve into the head a ways to get valve to valve clearance which usually causes valve shrouding and hurts airflow at lower valve lift. They can be made to work but do require port and chamber work to get the most out of them. It's to bad there aren't more choices in cam selections for Ducati 2-valve motors.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:02 am 

what he said.

the days of sticking in 300 degrees and calling it "full race" are over.

an 840cc 2v motor making over 100hp with production cams is pretty cool. these days the power comes from good heads, and you can have midrange too.