DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marzocchi Pulsar shock model recognition
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:24 am 

Does anyone have any info re. the Marzocchi Pulsar shock? I can't find a single page.

Also how do we tell if its a PVS1 or PVS3 or other variants if they exist? Steve at Loudbike has seal kits for PVS1 & 3 but I can't tell him which version I have.

Mine has a 16mm rod, pic attached. Any help gratefully received

Mike

Attachments:
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 1261 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Marzocchi Pulsar shock model recognition
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:47 pm 

Hi Mike, I have enclosed two pages from the PVS1 manual that should help. The only difference I've seen between the TT1 and TT2 PVS1 is length. Your shock appears to be the longer length as are all mine. The NOS shock I have is the shorter version. If you read the January 1984 Cycle magazine article 'Messenger in Red' they mention that The TT2 has a PVS1 with an 11.75 inch eye to eye measurement. This is the shorter length. The article also mentions that 'Marzocchi offers a kit with the internal parts to alter damping rates, though this kit is not included with the TT2'. The article is pretty involved and probably worth the few dollars you would pay on ebay for it. Hope this helps. Lou

Attachments:
page 2 of 2.jpg
page 2 of 2.jpg [ 295.45 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
page 1 of 2.jpg
page 1 of 2.jpg [ 252.05 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 pm 

Hi Mike, one last thing for some of the guys on the Forum. Item #61 called an adjusting screw on the side of the shock body has to be machined down a bit, if not it will hit the frame tube and prevent fitment. The shock is under pressure so this is best done during your rebuild. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm 

Thanks Lou,

Great to get the parts diagram & list, I'll send it to my "shock man" & print it out for my "TT2 Textbook".

I think my unit started life as the short one at about 11.75" / 30cm and was slugged out to 320 at the spring end mounting. You can just see the welded extension in the pic. One item not shown in the parts diagram is a grub screw just under the eye of the lower mount which may have been added when my shock was extended.

So have I got this right? If my shock is the short model its a PVS1?

Interesting also to see the hex nut damping adjuster. That was locked in position on my shock. Is that meant to be set once only as the shock is rebuilt or is it something one can adjust like a modern shock as the mood/conditions dictate?

Sorry for all the Qs but I really want to keep this shock on the bike & in use so I would like to know as much as possible about its construction & setup as possible. Its too easy to go & buy a modern multi adjustable unit for £500 & lose a valuable part of the bikes history.

Thanks again
Mike

Profile Personal album