DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitsa in the guise of a TT2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:36 am 

Sam, what a job. You made a frame in less time than it took for mine to arrive from Italy. Now an alloy tank! I'll keep watching with admiration. Graeme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:20 pm 

Hello Sam, I'm Carlo Leoncini ITALY, I have watched your progress of your work, and I must say that you're very good.
I will make you a question, I do not want to criticize your work, I do not I would never do:
Question: have you tried to make a very strong braking with the front brake?

from the photos that I've seen, it seems to me that braking with the front brake, the front wheel goes to touch the head of the engine block horizontally.
You notice the difference of the distance of the front wheel in this picture, and you see the difference with your bike.

It seems to me that the inclination of the headstock is too closed.

I will say this just because 'you control for your safety.

With friendship, Carlo.

Attachments:
japanbuch_04.jpg
japanbuch_04.jpg [ 53.31 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:05 am 

Hi Carlo thank you.

The headstock was set to 26deg but when I checked it after welding it was more 25deg with a 54" wheel base the 900ss swing arm was the same length than the pantah.These forks from a ST2 were considerably shorter than the std units also running 17" wheels.

Yes! I did break sweat when I assembled the front end and noticed how close the tire is to the head. I will be using a lower profile tyre a 160 instead of 170 but at the moment bouncing the front forks (dont have the brakes bled)it looks as if it will be clear but close not sure how much travel the forks have under full load tho still have the st2 springs but will be re-valved and re-sprung to suit the lesser weight which in turn could cause me more concern. Sam

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:15 am 

Hello Sam, I used a 750 SS as the doner, 748 forks and triple clamps. 750 swing arm and 17" SS wheels.
I had the frame checked for straight and the steering angle is 24 degrees with the engine writing (Ducati) level.
The 748 Showa forks are similar to your ST2 forks. The swing arm and wheels also similar.
I used a 70 profile front tyre which clears the front head.
a picture for reference,,

I found from the guidence from the gents here that I needed 12 degrees of swingarm sag which meant either lifting the front more than I could or extending the rear shock. I did both, although the forks could be 10mm longer. Doing what was suggested turned my replica into a different bike, and I thank those who helped. In the picture the swing arm is about 8 degrees and the forks are at the bottom ring, it was raised by about 25mm later. (I know because the sidestand is about 25mm short)
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:32 am 

Hi Graeme,
I used the cooling fins on the crank cases as my level with 12deg droop on the swing arm and wheel spindle set in the centre to give me a guide for the wheel base. If all else fails I can either get another set of yokes or move the steering head. This is a dry build as I do not have anything to gauge against only many pics,I would be doing great if I got everything correct first time around but I am only human this is a learning curve for myself. :) Sam

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 am 

Hi Sam, please don't take this for criticism at all. I wish I had your skills! I bought a frame and it took longer in transport than you took to make yours (as I said before) but I thought I could help after reading Carlo's post. I hadn't noticed the front wheel before. What triple clamp do you have on the bike now?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 am 

I was not taking it as criticism I am old and wise enough to listen and learn, ;) I am using std. st2 Yokes or triple clamps as you guys call them. Things are close but nothing that cant be changed.
graeme wrote:
Hi Sam, please don't take this for criticism at all. I wish I had your skills! I bought a frame and it took longer in transport than you took to make yours (as I said before) but I thought I could help after reading Carlo's post. I hadn't noticed the front wheel before. What triple clamp do you have on the bike now?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:27 pm 

Managed to escape and get an hour in the workshop this afternoon so knocked up an oil / breather catch tank.

Attachments:
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 1231 times ]
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 1231 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:46 pm 

Sam wrote:
Managed to escape and get an hour in the workshop this afternoon so knocked up an oil / breather catch tank.

Ohhhh, if you have one more hour to lost......would be perfect for me....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:27 pm 

Hey Sam, where are you up to with your build? Haven't heard for a while. Graeme

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next