DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitsa in the guise of a TT2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

Sam wrote:
......I could possibly take the ctr of the tube to the ctr line of the headstock..............

This is how my frame is! And on my frame those tubes welded to the headstock DO seem to be splayed a bit more than yours................ Your top tube total lengths seem to be a bit on the short side, so I've jotted-down the lengths between bends on my frame.........in mm! And starting from the REAR:
Rear to last bend (about 5deg)......255mm
Last bend to "middle bend"..........212mm
Longest section.......................470mm
"First bend" to headstock............180mm (longest measurement)

At least this will give you the total length........ ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:48 pm 

Hi Poison,

Could you please measure from the rear of the headstock to the ctr line of the first bracing tube then ctr to ctr for the width then distance back from that to the ctr of the oval tube / shock mount and ctr to ctr on the width again.
That way I could draw it out and take angles from there, I bent the top tubes to 60 deg, the tubes will look short as I will construct it in the same fashion as the F1 with a Separately fabricated subframe.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 am 

Sam wrote:
................Could you please measure from the rear of the headstock to the ctr line of the first bracing tube then ctr to ctr for the width then distance back from that to the ctr of the oval tube / shock mount and ctr to ctr on the width again................

Hi Sam, I'll do these one at a time, so there's no confusion (not confusion for ME..........!). Anyway, from the rear of the headstock tube to the centreline of the cross-piece is 66mm, perpendicular from the axis of the headstock.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 am 

Your next measurement centerline-to-centerline of the top tubes at the cross-piece bracing tube I measure as 275mm. Not SO easy to measure as the cross-piece is welded-in right in the middle of the bend......................! Incidentally, I reckon by mere observation that the included angle of the top tube bend at that spot is LESS than 120deg............my estimation is that the included angle is not as small as 110deg, but maybe 115...................... This is the tightest bend in the whole frame.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 am 

The next one is the easy one. From centreline of the front (round) cross-piece to the oval central cross-piece, I measure as 409mm. All my measurements, incidentally, I am trying to keep accurate to the nearest mm!
That oval-section cross-brace-plus-shock-mount tube, incidentally, is very un-ducati-esque..................I've never seen such tubing used in any other Ducati frame!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 am 

I can see a difference already, I measure 280 ctr to ctr and 75mm from stock to ctr @ 120 deg so by sharpening the angle 115/110 this will reduce the distance from stock to ctr of the cross brace, by the time I scallop the tube ends (may have to trim back a little) to fit the stock this should bring the width in.

Poison wrote:
Your next measurement centerline-to-centerline of the top tubes at the cross-piece bracing tube I measure as 275mm. Not SO easy to measure as the cross-piece is welded-in right in the middle of the bend......................! Incidentally, I reckon by mere observation that the included angle of the top tube bend at that spot is LESS than 120deg............my estimation is that the included angle is not as small as 110deg, but maybe 115...................... This is the tightest bend in the whole frame.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:31 am 

Thank you for the sizes! I suppose the oval looks better than box gives more strength than a single tube I was going to run two tubes side by side and a plate welded through both ctr lines as I do not have any oval tube but may squash a 2" / 1 1/2" piece of round in the pressbrake to see if I can replicate. I will draw these sizes down when I return from the physio. :) Thank you once more!

Poison wrote:
The next one is the easy one. From centreline of the front (round) cross-piece to the oval central cross-piece, I measure as 409mm. All my measurements, incidentally, I am trying to keep accurate to the nearest mm!
That oval-section cross-brace-plus-shock-mount tube, incidentally, is very un-ducati-esque..................I've never seen such tubing used in any other Ducati frame!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:42 am 

For the last measurement, centreline-to-centreline of the top tubes measured at the middle of the oval-section cross-piece..........is just 150mm, measured with my brand-new-digital-vernier-calipers!
On MY frame that oval-section piece is welded-in in a visibly skew-whiff manner, as is the small piece of flat bar a bit further back.......makes you wonder how well the jigs were made for these replica frames.............!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:45 pm 

Sam wrote:
...............................I was going to run two tubes side by side and a plate welded through both ctr lines as I do not have any oval tube but may squash a 2" / 1 1/2" piece of round in the pressbrake to see if I can replicate...................

Sam, you may be better off just welding two pieces of round tubing together length-wise, then shaping the ends - on this frame the top tubes are splaying in at approx 5 deg - and then welding the thing in place........it IS the top shock mount, after all, and has to bear plenty of stress at this point! Plus, this WAS the first monoshock chassis that Taglioni ever designed, so he was bound to be cautious as as far as keeping the thing as strong as possible is concerned. ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 am 

Managed a couple of hours on the bike today fitted and tacked the bottom tubes after making new engine mounts large enough to accept a socket also fitted and bent the top tubes, wont tack them until I find out the top rail height and availability of shock length. I have a couple there but one is too short and the other too long sods law.

Attachments:
IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1103.JPG [ 2.22 MiB | Viewed 1083 times ]
IMG_1102.JPG
IMG_1102.JPG [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 1083 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next