DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BUILDING A TT REPLICA RACER
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am 

Hi all

my name is Tom and i´m new on this forum. I´m located in south germany and already have posted a short introduction and pictures of my TT inspired single racer in the general interest section ( just need to be approved by the admin).
Started this thread to log the built of my TT Replica.
Since 5 years i´m racing withing the "grab the flag" events. For more information check out here: http://www.grabtheflag.de.
Since last year the rules allow toothbelt Ducatis with TT or Pantahstyle frames.
So i made up the plan to built a weapon for the open class, which currently is dominated by some fast TR1´s and SEGALE KAWASAKIS. PLan is to built a performance oriented racebike and not a true replica. So parts availability ( for easier replacement after crash) and performance are key.
Did purchase a tuned DS 1000 engine with reworked combustion chambers (optimised squish bands) and Ducati performance camshafts. Already have ordered a set of FCR 41 splitt carbs which have been delivered to a friend of mine in Frisco, where i will pick them up during my summer vacation. They will be mounted on short adjustable intake runners from "JAKO PERFORMANCE" with the means of malossi rubbers. Plan is to have a flatt bottomed TT Tank ( don´t need that full volume) and building a pressurized airbox instead of the original lower tank part. The airbox will be fed with the means of a modelled CFK part which will serve ath the same time as the front holder for the original TT fairing. Fairing, Tank and seat will be made of CFK by KS Kunstofftechnik in Germany. Perfect quality and nice and lightweight ( tank without gascap is 1300 gr).
Exhaust wiil be a 2 into 2 system with megaphones ending left and righthand side. Iginition will be fully programmable IGNITECH which is a direct plug and play with the original DS 1000 Pickup
Frame will be built by KS as well: Swingarm is Ducati Hegemann made Aluminium tubular construction from his bike called CHIARA.
Attachment:
schwinge2.jpg
schwinge2.jpg [ 127.59 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]

Front fork is a Yamaha R6 2003 ( last right side up). Brakes are 320mm EBC with Brembo P08
and Vesrah SInterpads.
Rear shock will be a YSS custom made unit. Wheels are 86 Suzuiki GSXR , 2,5" x18" front and 4.00X18"rear. They will be shoed with COnti Road attack 2 tires in Cometition compound. As ASTRALITES are going to be produced again ( i´m in direct contact with the former new manufacturer) the wheels wil be replaced with Astralites in 2013.

Thats it so far. Completion of bike is planned for the first race in may 2013. Target is 140kg including oil and about 90 rw HP.

Thanks
TOM

Post subject: Re: BUILDING A TT REPLICA RACER
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 am 

FIrst pictures:

Engine : now without the backside belt covers. Will run it open, this allows the two frametubes to close around the vertical cylinder head much closer, compared to running with the covers. Looks more like on original bikes.
Swingarm mounted with the 4x18" technomagnesia wheel. Would look for a 2,5x18 front wheel in the same design in good condition, if somebody knows one for sale, would appreciate the information.
Attachment:
PICT4590.JPG
PICT4590.JPG [ 439.26 KiB | Viewed 3782 times ]

Attachment:
PICT4589.JPG
PICT4589.JPG [ 439.28 KiB | Viewed 3782 times ]

Also a closeup of the nice short intakerunners of JAKO Motorsport. They can be turned into each desired mounting position.
Attachment:
PICT4591.JPG
PICT4591.JPG [ 374.82 KiB | Viewed 3782 times ]

Attachment:
PICT4592.JPG
PICT4592.JPG [ 442.26 KiB | Viewed 3782 times ]

Thanks
TOM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:25 am 

Hi Tom,
That is definitely going to be an interesting bike, and I'm looking forward to progress posts. Could you tell us more about Astralites being made again? I couldn't find any information about that.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 am 

pantah_good wrote:
Hi Tom,
Could you tell us more about Astralites being made again? I couldn't find any information about that.
Bill

I´ve been in contact with Tony Dawson for some topics on the SCITSU Tachs he is producing. Turned out that he was also the guy manufacturing the Astralite wheels. He informed me that a former employee of him started to rebuild the tooling with the plan of remanufacturing those wheels under license. He forwarded the contact informations to me and i went in contact with PAUL ALLENDER: This is the original answer ( he also answered on prices, but i prefere that he answer this by himself) i got from him:

"We are working on the wheel and are well on the way to getting the tooling for the first wheel sizes. We are looking at making 2.5" x 18" front and 3.5" x 18" rear to suit the TZ250/350 and 4.0" x 18" rear to suit the larger bikes, TZ500/750, RG500 and the P&M F1 bikes.

Time scale for full production will be towards the end of this year, the tooling is well under way and we are ordering the first batch of material this week. Lead time for delivery of the material is six weeks. This takes us into September and then we have to process it.

Hope that answers your questions. If you require any further information please contact us on the numbers below.

Regards

Paul Allender

Contact numbers

Rennstar Ltd.
10 Smithy Moor Lane
Stocksbridge
Sheffield
+44 (0)114 283 0727
+44 (0)7584 994 825

additionaly i got that info from Paul

"The wheels are the latest type with the rolled over edge and 40 rivets in the front wheels and 45 rivets in the rear wheels.
The front wheel bolt pattern to suit the TZ Yamaha is six bolts of 8mm spaced at 80mm Pitch Circle Diameter. The original Yamaha discs have an offset of 19mm and an overall diameter of 298mm, the location diameter in centre is 64mm.
The sprocket set up for the P&M F1 bikes will include a cush drive (drive damper) based on the RG500 design, but using six bolts instead of seven.
The chain line dimension can be anything from 75mm from centre line of wheel to inside of sprocket to as wide as 102mm.
Any three or six bolt rear disc can be accommodated easily; five bolt rear discs are best avoided. Five bolt front discs are an option we are considering for the future; this will include the Suzuki RG500 and GSXR750/1100.
Our wheels are supplied for racing purposes only and are not intended for highway use.

Thats the status so far,

TOM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am 

Thanks Tom. I've always admired those wheels. Hopefully they will be successful early on, and that they have 17 inchers that are more easily mounted on our little Italian friends not too far down their list.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm 

Hi Bill

mhhmmm, 17" is most of the time not allowed by sanctioning bodies for vintage or classic racing. There are plenty of choices in 17" for nice and lightweight wheels. The issue is there is very limited choice for nice wheeels in 18". There are the new Campagnolos made by Marvic :
http://www.marvic.it/images/elements/Marvic%20vintage%20210x297.pdf
a similar style wheel made by PVM, very nice; forged aluminium completly CNC Milled, available in a street and a race version:
http://www.pvm.de/w1/de/produkte/raeder/pvm5spneoklassik/details.html
also available in 17" if you want.

But non of them have that raw racy look of the Astralite´s. Except the PVM the adavantage of the Astralite is defenitely that it is made of Aluminium and not magnesia.

Thanks
TOM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm 

Quote:
But non of them have that raw racy look of the Astralite´s

That's for sure...picture one or two on an AMA mile dirt tracker a few years back. They are very cool. The vintage rules here in the U.S. have loosened up in the last few years, so any size wheel is ok now. Wheels are always tough to get right though. Keep us posted on the fun you're having building your bike.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am 

EGLITOM wrote:
They will be shoed with COnti Road attack 2 tires in Cometition compound.
Hi Tom,
Yours is the only post mentioning the new Conti 18" race tires that I can find on this forum. They look pretty interesting, maybe with the potential to breathe new life into TT's with 18" wheels. Do you have any experience with them or know anyone racing with them? Or how they compare with the 18" race Avon's? Not surprisingly, I can't find a source in the U.S. that's offering the whole range of them like they are in the U.K.
http://conti-bike.co.uk/default.asp?spid=57
How's your project coming?
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 am 

Hi Bill

Actually quite a lot of people racing the CONTI´s over here. Most of them in 110/80/18 front and 150/65/18 rear. It seems to perform good in dry and wet. Although i have to say that most of them running them on bikes more heavier than our Ducs ( Tr1´s, Superbike´s, so all 185+ kg). They usually switched over from there previous Bridgstone BT012SS or Avon AM22/AM23 combination.
I have bought a set in the mentioned dimensions (110/80/18 RA2C and 150/65/18 RA2CR), they will be mounted today.
I know the Productmanager of Conti and could ask him about distribution in US if you are interessted.

THat´s also the status of my racer. Rims ( GSXR 1100) are powedercoated and Tires will be mounted today. Supposedly i will receive my frame tackwelded end of next week. I have all the other parts collected ( brakesystem, carbs, IGNITECH Iginition, Front fork ) so as soon i get my frame i will start to mock up everything. Only thing not procured yet is the rear shock, but i will wait for that one after i get the frame and see what length i need to order.

TOM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 am 

EGLITOM wrote:
I know the Productmanager of Conti and could ask him about distribution in US if you are interessted.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to let him know there is interest in good 18" rubber in the U.S. And if he's really receptive, mention the "millions" of F1's and TT's world wide with the 16"/18" wheel combo looking for a good matched set of tires.
Thanks, Bill