DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brembo calipers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:25 pm 

Hi Clinton yes have had the same problem with anodizers did'nt think about ceramic coating will be very interested to see the photos and your assesment of how close to original colour it is
Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 am 

I have had excellent luck re-anodizing calipers. I have done colors and converted gold units to black.
Check out the pair of AP's I had done in satin black, and the purple set of Brembo's (was for a customer)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm 

Speedmade,
Let us know if you can re-anodize matching the Brembo goldline color. If so I suspect you will have some customers waiting in line for your services.

Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm 

So much for my dreams of a play for black market VIM :(

Seriously, nice work.. I've had some rough castings anodized locally and it showed promise - you appear to have the process nailed.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 pm 

I use a local anodizer that actually hates doing car/cycle parts. I've been going to them for years, so they still do my stuff.
Every time I take in a batch, I have to sign a waiver that they don't guarantee the outcome when they refinish used parts. I've been very lucky and only had several parts turn out bad. The problem with cast parts is they either turn out beautiful or they come out ruined.
Because of the varying alloys, you can never be 100% sure how they will turn out. It's a risk I've been willing to take.
They do have the correct color gold for the Brembo calipers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hi Ducfan,
Maybe I can add some info re the calipers. Yours do look like the P432A units (with the exception of the Zinc passivate bolts) which had black finish bolts originally and were cast magnesium. The P432D units were of the same external appearance but were cast alloy, black finish with Zinc passivate bolts and were developed from the GP units but were for road use and may, but I'm not certain, have piston dust seals which were not present on the P432A units. If they are P432A they should have a number stamped on the inside face of the caliper body and also in prominent raised lettering "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" (although someone may have ground this off in the past). It can be confusing identifying magnesium from alloy as the weight difference is not that great - only about 1/3rd lighter. Please don't try to anodise them unless you know for sure they are not magnesium!
The correct service kit for P432A is 120.2779.40 which contain 4 piston seals, 2 "O" rings and 4 new black bolts.
The equivalent kit for P432D is 120.2779.60.
I'm not sure for certain but would guess that the seals and "o" rings would be identical for both kits. The P432D service kit should still be available.
I had to service my P432A units around 4 years ago and was able to get the correct 120.2779.40 kits from Motomecca Spares here in England. They definitely still list the P432D kit and may also still be able to get the P432A kits. In any event they should be able to advise you re interchangeability of parts in the 2 kits. Their e-mail address is enquiries@motomeccaspares.com
As for the super lightweight organic disc pads that went with these calipers I'd be very interested to know where they can be obtained!
Richie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm 

Good info Richie. About 4 or 5 years ago, I snapped up the last 4 #120.2779.40 kits that TAW had on hand, undoubtedly the last available in the U.S. I just used the last of those on the "Garage Find" racers' calipers. Actually, earlier this year, I rebuilt a pair of P432D calipers, and I should have checked to see if the piston rings and o-rings were interchangeable, but didn't think to do that (damn!). And as for re-anodizing, (IMO) I doubt that faded and slightly worn gold color could be duplicated or improved upon.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:45 pm 

I agree with Bill, clean them and use them as is. The originals were not that nice. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 am 

Ducfan wrote:
I have a pair of Brembo P432A calipers
Attachment:
IMG_0610.JPG

I have conflicting info as to whether they are alloy or magnesium can anyone enlighten me please?
If they are magnesium what is the accepted proceedure for restoring them?

I pray, kneeling before you, and I tell you, you leave them in original condition.
Not be found! :lol: :lol:

ciao. Carlo Leoncini

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 pm 

Next question, I intend to use a period Brembo 15mm (5/8 inch) master cylinder for these calipers can anyone speak from experience about the "feel" that can be expected with this combination there doesn't seem to much choice of m/cylinders if you want to remain period(TT1) correct. Bruce