DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tt2 600 to 750
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 am 

I ve just returned from the manx gp where our tt2 suffered a damaged piston and bent rod during practice, but was still running. The regs allow the use of 750,s next year,so this is the way we will go. Can anyone offer advice on the best way to achieve this and point a finger to suppliers of the parts needed. From which model or supplier might i obtain a crank, pistons,cams etc. I,m looking to end with a competetive bike but with reliability,arn,t we all? Any hints or tips on a spec would be much appreciated. The bike has good suspension,brakes etc, but was only putting out 50 hp as a standard 600 with Verlicchi exhaust. The engine was from a 600 sl 1983 with hyd clutch and 3 dog gears. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: tt2 600 to 750
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm 

After speaking with the guy who is going to build my engine, it appears that i now don,t have to collect and supply the required parts as most are available from his stocks, i wrongly assumed that parts were in very short supply. Also,the guy,RT,is a font of info and experience, what he don,t know ain,t worth knowing, but as i started this thread any info would i am sure help others who might be wanting to follow the same route as myself. The tt1/tt2 bikes are coming back big time with the regs changes for post classic racing. Right pleased i didn,t part with mine when i was tempted a couple of years ago, also the endless amount of people from various parts of the world stopping by to take a look ,photo,chat etc about the little cati shows just how much these little bikes are, dare i say loved. Pity she only managed a couple of practice laps round the island, but lessons have been learned and noted. She even caught the eye of Micheal Rutter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 pm 

Loved is the right word...and a couple laps around the IOM? Only in my dreams.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:31 am 

Yes Bill, hold onto your dream. The reason for our engine failure seems to be a piece of the inlet valve guide had broken off, chipped the outer edge of the valve from the inside ,then done it,s work on peppering the piston, but the head and barrel were relatively undamaged, all at 9000 rpm. Lucky for us that the damaged parts were to be ditched anyway. I,m thinking now that because i have 2 original heads, forward exhaust, could i maybe build these onto a later 600 monster type engine, there,s plenty of them about at the right price. This would make a nice motor for parades, track days, etc. I seem to be on a steep learning curve at present but allways grateful for any advice. Cheers.