DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting and decals on restorations or replicas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:47 pm 

This is something that is not clear to me: Most all bikes, even the racers, have a certain number of decals placed on them from the maker (DUCATI), often covered with a clear coat over the color. Then, the numbers and sponsor decals (Dellorto, Campagnolo, Castrol, etc.) get stuck on them by the owners. Is there any good rule about what is proper when restoring or building new? Should we clear coat over everything, since some decals are getting scarce, or do a mix for authenticity? This should be better than the debate about the proper way to oil a chain. Thanks, MikeV

Post subject: Re: Painting and decals on restorations or replicas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 pm 

Well Mike, this can open a can of worms but I'll give this a shot. Almost every original fairing I have seen has had no clear coat over the decals. I actually think many of these ( and I am referring to TT's) were painted with single stage paint meaning no clearcoat. Keep in mind at that time Ducati was clearcoating the F1 decals. The painting that was done on the TT's was not what I would call 'show quality' and I am guilty of maybe over doing it on some of the paint jobs. A few years ago I bought a TT1 that came with NOS painted bodywork. I couldn't believe how poor the paint job was. White pinstripe around the blue was 'very' hand painted. No decals and no clearcoat. Now the fuel tank might be a different story. It is in more jeopardy of being damaged by fuel so I do have what I believe is an original tank and it has clearcoat. Absolutely do not clear the livery decals if you are doing a 'correct' restoration. Sponsors changed and teams changed. It's a lot easier to peel off Fast by Ferracci decals and install Team Leoni decals without repainting a fairing. It just looks right to me. All this being said if it's not an 'original' and you are going to ride and enjoy it, do what you want. A TT can never be ugly! Lou

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Painting and decals on restorations or replicas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 am 

Thanks for the good start Lou. I learned some, and you confirmed some. Maybe I can paint my project after all. I know Steve M used to paint his bike with "rattle cans", and I once painted an entire Fiat SCCA racer using spray cans. MikeV