DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TT2 battery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:57 am 

Hi all,

I have a TT tail section that has the battery "dent" molded in, so I figure I'll use a battery that suits (rather than a modern "supercell" hidden in the tail). Does anyone know what the correct battery is for this and if it can be had as a sealed/AGM battery?

Here's my tail (the dent measures 14.5 cm wide x 8.5 cm deep x 9.8 cm high, which is approx. 5.7"x3.3"x3.8"):

I'm not against cutting the bottom out and supporting the battery on the frame to fit something taller, like this: http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.php?bID=B45&vID=4283

But if anyone knew a size that worked, that'd be great.

Happy New Year!
Scott

Duc 900SS-FE #181

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: TT2 battery
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:44 am 

Not sure on that one. I am gutting a period look battery and sticking a light weight mini pack inside to keep the period look but reduce the weight

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 am 

Try the Yuasa YT14B-BS. Just double check the dimensions on there web site. Good luck. Lou Saif

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 pm 

Hi Scott,
For what it's worth, I've always used an Interstate Cycle-Tron (Yuasa) #YB9B in my Harris (which has the battery located in the "proper" location), and they've never let me down for ignition and starting, even when I used to run total loss. I do keep it on a 2amp charger when in the pits. It would fit the opening in your seat, but might be a little tall at 140mm. It's also old school construction, meaning heavy. I was going to look into something lighter for next year and I'm also going to need something for the Adamo 851 I'm rebuilding. In the Feb. "Motorcyclist" that just came, on page 8, there is an ad for Shorai Lithium batteries that caught my eye (maybe it was the model in a bikini) and checked their website (below). For a Ducati 748 they list two, a regular and a racing model which is even lighter and for less money. Does anybody know anything about these? They're not cheap, but nothing extra light is. They look almost like a traditional battery, so they might not look out of place on an older bike with great style, like a TT.
Bill

http://www.shoraipower.com/default.aspx

I just looked up the Shorai replacement for a Yuasa YB9-B. The race version (#LFX07A2-BS12) weights 4.83 lbs. less than the lead-acid YB9-B at 1.01 lbs., has 102 cranking amps, costs $99.95, and is a smaller package: 113mm x 58mm x 89mm tall. Hmmm....I likey.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:40 pm 

Ah yes Bill ... page 8. I've studied it carefully. :shock:

The Shorai sounds like a nice option for hiding the battery inside the shell of an old battery (good idea TT2 ...crankyroller suggested that trick to me too, so that's 2 votes for that route). Or hiding it inside the tail like Lou's doing with his street TT. But that requires me to get a new tail (or glass in the dent), which I should probably avoid since I have some other bike expenses to cover first.

I have some old batteries laying around - maybe I can try the hidden battery trick.
Thanks guys,
Scott

http://www.shoraipower.com/images/model/ShoCalDec2010-1000.jpg

Duc 900SS-FE #181

Profile Personal album