DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daytona photo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 am 

Very interesting .............. thanks . liked the film clip showing the twin-plugged heads !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 am 

general article on the event (i think)

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com ... aytona.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:08 pm 

Hello friends, hello Lou, is very nice when we find the documentation that refers to the originality of OUR motorcycle, we are proud to see what has made the motorcycle before being entered into possession.

I believe that those who have the passion, and the foolishness of spending so much money in motorcycle racing, you should consider a custodian or guardian, because our job is to stand the test of time, those wonderful feats performed by our heroes, people fantastic as Adam, Reno Leoni, Patt Slin, and many other Italians and non-Italians.

Great job ... Lou! Your friend Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

Carlo, you know a good one when you see one.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm 

Thank you Carlo, I feel the same way you do. Important motorcycles need to be saved and documented for future generations. In the automotive world Ferrari's and the like are restored, preserved. Their history lovingly documented. I agree, (insert pantah good name) racing motorcycles should be raced, that's what they were built for, but as we know racing motorcycles, unlike racing cars have a limited life span. They are crashed harder and more frequently than the equivalent race car. Major parts are changed and originality be damned. Is the history of any Maserati Birdcage more important than the Slinn/Rutter TT2? I say no, but the Maserati is worth over a million US dollars. So people are more diligent in restoration and documentation. Finding the provenance of my bikes has been difficult, but important to me. I try so hard to be accurate and learn how NCR and Ducati built these machines for future enthusaists who want a correct restoration and the knowledge of how things were done back in the day. I may not always be right but with the help of others on the Forum I hope to succeed. So yes, it is up to us lunatics to document history and preserve some bikes. We can build accurate and safe replicas and race them to the edge. Sorry to go on a little bit here. Lou

Attachments:
reno.jpg
reno.jpg [ 198.35 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am 

You should "go on a bit" more, and more often, Lou; it's one of the main reasons we view this site.
There are so many members that contribute and share their detailed knowledge and love of these bikes that it's a pleasure to log on, learn and laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm 

Lou you and Carlo are so correct, the history of our TT's is so important not only for our own interest and satisfaction but for future generations. Tony Rutters TT 2 was very special to me I spent hundreds of hours working on that bike over a number of years. After every test session, practice and qualifying session and race the specification was documented in duplicate, I was required by the Ducati factory to send them copys of each document, EG, Engine and cycle spec, carburettor jets, sparking plugs, gearing, ignition timing, valve timing. On the cycle side included was tyres make and pressure, frame geometry and details of any work done on the bike. Included with this documentation were race records, lap times, number of race miles covered and fuel consumption etc, It is a long story as to what happened to that bike and where it went to after TR/Ducati UK racing was closed after TR's accident in 1985, all my records and indeed a lot of parts and a couple of F2 engines disapeared with it. After about twenty five years the machine sufaced. I asked for my records but I was told that I had no right to have them, I later learnt that the records have disapeared. A couple of years ago I asked Ducati if it would be possible for me to have copys of my original documents, however to my amazment I learnt that Ducati have lost all their records from the TT 2 days. I find this so sad as a very important machine in the history of Ducati and the F2 world championships, european and British F2 championships is still hidden away and without orthentic documentation. Sorry to have gone on !!, Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm 

Dear Pat, I have read many times your message, as you know I do not understand the English language, but my friend Pat, he is fluent in his native language, and my simultaneous translator translates quite well (the credit is Pat).

The story that you've told us, it gives me a deep sadness, there are Italians who have made ​​history, but unfortunately, very often, the behavior of those who should protect the image of a product does not do his duty .

Two years ago, I went to France, to a gathering of dell'aniversario, DUCATI FRANCE.

The President told me that the French club, is the first in the world.

In France they did the club DUCATI DUCATI before the same.

The leaders DUCATI occurred after many years, saying that they could not do the club before the ITALIAN.

The French responded that daughters do not give a damn.

I say: If I was an executive DUCATI, I would have been very proud of we shall see what they are capable of organizing the French.

They bring out our Ducati, and we Italians do we do?

Let's say it to them, they can not do rallies or demonstrations.

I love my country, but many times, I'm a little tight.

Spheres that the concept has been understood.

I end by saying that in order to know the history of an Italian bike, we Italians, we must go to tell us about what we did ...... in the ABROAD. Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am 

Hello Carlo,
This happened with other countries too, Norton, Honda, etc. not just Ducati in Italy.
The passion for these racing bikes was not passion but profit by the factories.
Only now after many years the passion is there.

Pat, Lou, Carlo others, your stories are too short not too long, please say more from those days.

Graeme

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:08 am 

Came across this old post. My first inclination was that the #4 bike was not Fabians or even a Cortez Replica, as they were pretty tricked out bikes that looked all business. For most of 1990, Jimmy & I pitted next to the FBF truck & Fabian & I became good friends. He used to truck up to Jersey & hang out for the weekend every once in a while. As i read the articles attached i could not believe that the follow up to it was not attached. You won't believe me if i tell you, so here it is. http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2012/05/ ... wn-ducati/

Fabian was a wild man & got involved in some heavy stuff after racing. Seems that things are going ok for him these days which I'm very happy to see after i heard some stories 10-15 years ago. For those that may not know, Ferracci had almost zero interest in running a lightweight bike at the time, but in 1989 had heard one Kevin Erion talking a bit too much as to how fast his hawk was & how much HP per liter it put out. Eraldo had heard enough & decided to put "Lanny" on the bike, who, as you can see is a slight man in his 40's, who was even slighter than than in his very early 20's. I watched the first GP2 race from a vantage point in turn one at Daytona that they no longer allow you to get to (very close to the pavement, behind a fence). For a reason i can't exactly recall (either a points thing or a mechanical in qualifying), Fabian started last row & Erion was gone. I took a pic of Erion & Fabian every time they came by in turn one. After a bunch of laps, the gap closed. Then they were both in the same shot. Then Fabian was ahead & just walked away from Erion. Erion was FUMING on the podium & said "yeah, well, i gotta go to work in the morning". I'll try to get some time to scan some pics.