DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aus racing TT2 or pantah
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:55 pm 

Hi All

Im new to the forum. just have a few questions for the Australian racers. I have just purchased my next project bike, a 600sl pantah with the idea of starting classic racing. I have always loved TT1 ands TT2 and see this as a great chance to build one, but as fare as I'm aware a 600 TT2 will have no chance in its class, period 5 unlimited. not that I'm looking to be competitive, just wouldn't mind racing in a class where the bike is not nearly 100 HP down on half the competition. with this in mind I thought I could turn it into a 500 and fit in the 500 class. dose anybody now if I could built a 500cc TT replica and still race in the 500 class? or would I need to keep it in a pantah frame to compete with the 500s. I have gone and watched a few classic events and always thought I 500 in a TT frame would be a great bike for the class, just wondering if anyone has ever done it.

thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Aus racing TT2 or pantah
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:40 am 

Hi Josh, Back in the day - mid 1980s - I raced my 600 Pantah with the Hartwell club in Victoria. I was delighted to discover that being a 600 four stroke I was able to mix it with the 250/350cc two strokes AND race in the upto 750 class! ;)

That said there has been a lot of water under the bridge since I 1987!

Here is a link that may help: http://www.postclassicracing.com.au/fil ... 2MAY14.pdf

Contact the PCRA for more details, I am sure they will be very obliging. :)

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 am 

josh457 wrote:
I could turn it into a 500 and fit in the 500 class.

I can sell you a 400 F3 engine for AU$900 that you can make into a 540, and probably a 500cc.

You can probably get $2,000 - $3,000 for your 600cc and finance your project with the profit. ;)

The engine is with Ian Gowanloch presently - you could get him to make it into a race engine for you.

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:39 am 

athleticroman wrote:
josh457 wrote:
I could turn it into a 500 and fit in the 500 class.

I can sell you a 400 F3 engine for AU$900 that you can make into a 540, and probably a 500cc.

You can probably get $2,000 - $3,000 for your 600cc and finance your project with the profit. ;)

The engine is with Ian Gowanloch presently - you could get him to make it into a race engine for you.

Cheers,
MikeA

thanks for the offer, but I think ill keep the 600 just in case I end up building a TT2 replica, and it is really easy to turn my 600 into a 500 with barrels and pistons, as long as the rules allow you to use 600 cases? I think I should just contact a few of the classic racing associations and ask what I am able to do.

thanks josH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 am 

Mitch Mulligan races a Verlicchi framed 500 Pantah in the P5 Senior class, which is up to 500cc, and he is very competitive. I should point out his riding ability has alot to do with it. You have 5% tolerance on capacity, so max capacity is 525cc's. You would need to run 18 inch wheels in the up to 500cc class.

Having run my 600TT2 in the unlimited class against the 1300cc monsters, I think the 500cc path will give you more satisfaction as the the bike will be a competitive platform from the outset.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:09 am 

josh457 wrote:
I think I should just contact a few of the classic racing associations and ask what I am able to do.
thanks josH

Hi Josh,
Yes, get good and familiar with the rule books and ask lots of questions in the pits before you start. I'll bet you will be impressed with how helpful people who are already racing will be with someone who is getting started. Tech inspections generally are for checking safety issues, not legality. That is usually left to fellow racers to protest, and that really only happens if you all of a sudden start kicking their butts in championship battles. My best advice would be to get your Pantah safely on the track asap, whatever class it falls into, and learn the basics. You will be on a steep learning curve so keep the bike simple. It will still be lot of work and surprisingly expensive, but by the time you are getting comfortable on it that way, you should know for sure what to do next. But most of all, have fun!
Bill