DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J Precision no longer working on Pantah heads
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:12 pm 

I am trying to formulate my plan for race bike winter upgrades. I called up J Precision to get some prices for their race port, big valve 750 conversion and to my surprise, I was told they no longer offer this service. The ONE guy who did this work no longer works there and in their infinite wisdom, they failed to train a replacement. I was told they might resume this service in a year or so......maybe.

Are there any other reputable shops that can perform all of the services necessary (cnc) to do this same conversion? Or are we relegated to small specialized tuners doing hand porting?

Dave

Post subject: Re: J Precision no longer working on Pantah heads
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm 

SH***T! Procrastination costs me again. What to do with a set of 350 Pantah heads? MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:47 am 

In my view, Patrice Juteau's explanation does not hold if J-Precision continues porting Harley heads (they must continue otherwise the shop would close). They have a specific program to port Ducati heads on the CNC 5-axle machine and it should not be that much difficult to run the program.

There may be another explanation to the current situation :

The know-how for porting Ducati heads was developped jointly by Guy Martin and Patrice Juteau some years ago (10 to 15 years). They had an aggreement that they would share the profit from porting jobs as a return for the time and work spent in developping the know-how.

Two years ago, I told Guy Martin that I went to J-Precision for a porting job (reshaping combustion chambers, reshaping inlet manifolds, new tulip shape valves, new valve seats, etc.). Guy got furious and told me that once again Patrice had gone alone without giving any royalty to Guy. In my view, the problem comes from the fact that Patrice Juteau is no longer the owner of J-Precision. His sold it around five years ago with a commitment to work at the shop during ten more years. I think it is difficult for Patrice to take a part of the incoming money from porting jobs and pay royalties to Guy.

Guy Martin may have had a good conversation with Patrice Juteau and told him to either pay him royalties or stop porting Ducati heads.

If I were you, I would :

Contact Guy Martin who surely has a solution;

or ask advice to Bruce C. Myers who is still active since he prepares engines for Walt Siegl;

or contact Jan de Vos (Redfox Grinta) who has the same kind of porting jobs done on his side of Atlantic sea.

Gilles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:34 am 

"Our very own" Carlo (Leonchini) does Pantah head conversions. I have an upcoming job with him, just need to gather the necessary parts (and €€€..) first.. 8-)
He reshape the combustion chamber to the newer "triple doom" shape from the Monster, fit bigger valves and convert to small spark plugs. I have only limited experience working with a lathe and milling, but to me Carlos work look top notch.

http://www.motofficinaleoncini.it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:33 am 

Thanks for the tips guys. I will reach out to Bruce as I have a previous relationship with him.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:28 pm 

Patrice sold Jprecision close to 3 years ago, the design of the ports and combustion chamber was not a collaboration of Patrice and Guy.
Someone else was responsible, the last time I spoke to someone at the shop Patrice was the only one doing the conversion to the pantah heads, that was 2014, l believe the market is very small for such work here in North America.
This will only make Bruce busier than he already is!
Carlo is also a great option ;)
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:20 pm 

Interestingly I just spoke to JPrecision yesterday also. I was a bit pissed off since I'd had Zero reply from my three website enquiries.
Anyway, the story I got was that they still do the machining for MBP/ Guy Martin, but the only head work they do is Testastretta work. No Desomdue or Desmoquattro.
I wanted to drill down deeper in case it was just a welding issue etc, and I learned the guy they had who created this work left, and took all the intellectual property with him. They have no files to work from. Presumably they still have the fixtures.
So it's back to old fashioned hand porting until someone gets organised.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 am 

i can advice this one http://www.redfox-grinta.com/ located in Belgium