DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US racing in the 80:s
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:10 am 

I am a bit curious, how serious and professional was the US national road racing scene in the eighties really? For sure, all japanese brands had factory support to a smaller or bigger extent, I suppose, and the teams were run and mainly funded from the importers headquarters. What is more interesting are the smaller brands, naturally specific of course Ducati/Cagiva and Leoni.

Looking at the bikes they fielded it looks impressive, but from the videos from the days showing the infrastructure in the pits, it is evident it is a small team. But behind the scenes, how was it REALLY?

Was Jimmy Adamo a professional racer, actually being paid enough for racing to live from it, pay the bills and raise a family? Or did he have to have a regular job for the base and with an understanding employer being able to take time off from work to go racing and maybe if lucky top the income?

Did Reno had a normal motorcycle business, as so many others likehim, that he based his cost taking on? Where bikes, parts, tires etc all supplied free of charge? Or was there, as often, wealthy enthusiasts in the background that actually paid it all because they wanted this to happen, without ever fronting?

Is there anyone of you who were close at the time who knows? Again, just curious! :D

/Björn

Post subject: Re: US racing in the 80:s
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:08 pm 

You ask some interesting questions. Serious? Yes. Professional? Not like a factory race team. Ducati never really put the money into Team Leoni nor Tony Rutter Racing and Pat Slinn. I think they helped with technical support and supplied some parts, but I know with Reno and Jimmy a lot of what they did came from the money they made doing bike work and selling parts. Jimmy was a Giocamoto parts distributor, and Reno had a shop at his home in NJ. Early on Reno worked for Berliner.They were they US distributor for Ducati. Reno was like the tech support from Italy and would go to dealers and help them in training and how to deal with problems. Reno came to the US with his wife and I think 5 year old son. They promised him a lot to stay in the US with his family, but as usual promises always fall short. I would think you could categorize them as a privateer team with factory support. More so than a full factory team. When Cagiva came in they definitely came with some money, but it was short lived as the four valves came in. Reno hadn't much experience with the injected bikes and Taglioni was giving up power to Bordi. Bordi's alliance shifted to Ferracci, who came from his home town in Italy. Ducati was always a small factory in comparison to the might of Japan. When you look at a Team Honda bike and see all the mechanics, big rigs, tools and spares. There is no comparison. Pat Slinn will attest to the power of the big factory's. He can tell you how Honda basically sponsored the Isle of Man and when it came to checking the Honda for illegality , they were allowed to skate past tech. Then they made Pat, in second place, tear down his whole motor for no good reason. In the case of Jimmy, he lived for racing. He had a wife, who was a machinist, and two baby girls. He lived in a house on his parents property. When Jimmy was killed, his family was left with nothing. He worked to race and raise his family. Probably in that order. I'm not speaking ill of him, just stating what I believe is true. So yes, I believe these teams all struggled financially, which makes their accomplishments all the more amazing! I hope all my facts are correct. This is just stuff I've learned from talking to the players and listening to a million stories, and what I have seen, in restoring some of the machines that were used. Some enthusiasts would help out financially as well as tire, fuel and oil sponsors. Everybody loves an underdog, Reno and Jimmy were charismatic guys, and knew how to talk to people. Jimmy was a handsome guy and the ladies loved him. So they made their way to do what they loved, no matter the cost. No umbrella girls, giant tool boxes, and tires stands. Just look at the posted pictures. Reno's wife on a lawn chair, while he works on an old piece of carpet. Hope I satisfied some of your curiosity. Lou

Attachments:
reno.jpg
reno.jpg [ 198.35 KiB | Viewed 5946 times ]
get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg [ 77.25 KiB | Viewed 5946 times ]
get-attachment-4.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment-4.aspx.jpeg [ 86.5 KiB | Viewed 5946 times ]
24933323410_d3b5d719f0_b.jpg
24933323410_d3b5d719f0_b.jpg [ 96.4 KiB | Viewed 5946 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:42 am 

Hi Lou!

Thanks for the answer and insights! This is just what I was looking for, and partly also suspected! Great!

/Björn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pm 

It was an accelerated version of what happened so the timeline isn't exactly accurate, but you get an idea of what was happening. I'm sure some others on the Forum can chime in and correct me if needed. No offense will be taken! Let's say 84-85 was when Cagiva came in. They were more interested in getting into GP racing and winning races in Italy with the F1. The states were not a priority. As I said, when it became a priority as in World Superbike. FBF got the nod. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 pm 

I can go back to the mid seventies with Reno. I'd buy parts from him to race my 750SS and later 900SS. He worked out of his garage and I'd make the trek to New Jersey to drool over his bikes. At the time he had Mike Baldwin and Kurt Lieberman riding his round case bikes. He was a great guy and offered tips to keep me on the track with my bikes. One must note that Baldwin won a National at Loudon on a Reno prepared Guzzi. I was there and would never forget it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:02 pm 

Lou pretty much covered everything you asked. I can add a few things. I've added photos of 1980 Yoshimura pit, Team Leoni pit at Laguna Seca 1986, our team Trailer that we bought from Cagiva North America's Duane Summers and our trailer next to the Box Van that Duane bought to replace the trailer.
Only a few riders made a living racing back then. Usually racers worked to race. There were many contingency programs back then so Oil, Tires, Spark Plugs were free but most riders either knew someone near the track and stayed there or camped at the track. I was surprised at how many riders stayed at the track in their Van or Truck.
An funny story is that in 1987 we were told that the Cagiva North America group would be staying at the Hyatt Hotel (memory serves me). So we reserved rooms and checked in early. I immediately asked for the room across from Marco Lucchinelli. Our team and my friends hung out all weekend in my room with the door propped open and THAT GUY NEVER ENTERED THAT ROOM. I'm not sure where he stayed at but CNA paid for his room and we never saw him.

Attachments:
garyducati3067.jpg
garyducati3067.jpg [ 299.5 KiB | Viewed 5844 times ]
garyducati3050 copy.jpg
garyducati3050 copy.jpg [ 259.27 KiB | Viewed 5844 times ]
z cooley pit.jpg
z cooley pit.jpg [ 570.48 KiB | Viewed 5844 times ]
laguna335.jpg
laguna335.jpg [ 221.3 KiB | Viewed 5844 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:38 pm 

Even more amazing Frank is that those two Guzzi's still exist. My buddy Fritz owns Kurt Liebmans bike and Mike Baldwins bike has been an urban legend in NYC for many years. I am told it is in pieces in a basement in Queens, NY! They look the business and went like stink! Mike wasn't quite as fast on this bike! Lou

Attachments:
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG [ 89.62 KiB | Viewed 5841 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:42 pm 

The combination of an 850 Lemans, Mike Baldwin and Reno Leoni, along with a road test by Cycle magazine with Cook Nielsen riding one on the cover, and seeing a brand new one at an AFM race at Sears Point, is why my do-it-all bike for 26 years was a 1978 850 Lemans. Let it go in 2005 when I traded for a yellow 2000 Ducati 996 monoposto; they were both locomotives!

I only have two autographs; Pat Slinn’s on a British bike magazine featuring the IOM-winning No. 8 Pantah, and Leoni’s on the victory poster for the Louden race. I had lost that poster when we moved in 2006, but Leoni brought some originals to the Adamo celebration in New Hampshire in 2013 (36 years after the race), and he signed it. Lucky me. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 am 

Quote:
An funny story is that in 1987 we were told that the Cagiva North America group would be staying at the Hyatt Hotel (memory serves me). So we reserved rooms and checked in early. I immediately asked for the room across from Marco Lucchinelli. Our team and my friends hung out all weekend in my room with the door propped open and THAT GUY NEVER ENTERED THAT ROOM. I'm not sure where he stayed at but CNA paid for his room and we never saw him.

I've been to quite a few races over Europe (GP and Endurance) and met Marco a few times. Seen him smoking, drinking and "chasing" pretty women.
Wouldn't be surprised if his hotelroom stayed empty while he was "out there somewhere".

To stay on topic : I'm sure some of the racers had relatives that worked and contributed substantial effort for them to race (or stay alive at least).

And close to that one :

Attachments:
Walter Cussigh.jpg
Walter Cussigh.jpg [ 281.45 KiB | Viewed 5828 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:56 am 

My portly posterior on the ex Berliner, Reno Leoni, Kurt Liebmann, Moto Guzzi Le Mans superbike circa 1978-79.

Attachments:
013A88~1 (2).JPG
013A88~1 (2).JPG [ 250.5 KiB | Viewed 5818 times ]
012683~1 (2).JPG
012683~1 (2).JPG [ 299.15 KiB | Viewed 5818 times ]