DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What got you interested in TT's/F1's?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:00 pm 

Steve and any other Mods (too new here dont know who you all are!) if this is covered elsewhere please forgive me and either bin it or move it.

I was just wondering, seeing as there are so many avid admirers of these beautifull machines and so many who have the skill patience and dedication to build or renovate them...how did you get into them in the first place.

This question is asked on many a forum, I myself am a member of the British ducatisti forum and the question has certainly been asked there quite often!...but lets face it these bikes are so rare (especially the originals) that unlike any modern Ducati not that many of us can just buy one and ride off on it!

For some here it is a hobby/business for others purely a hobby...but how did you all start?

Post subject: Re: What got you interested in TT's/F1's?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 pm 

Hello, I'm Carlo Leoncini, I'm Italian, I have to tell the truth, I still I have not written the Ducati forum, actually I was writing my wife Antonella, I was disappointed at first, because I do not speak English and also because I thought that to talk about bikes, and listen to others' problems, it seemed to me to throw away my time.

I was wrong.
I was acting like a big part of ITALIAN, believing that much good, does not want to waste time with useless talk.

I could see that any ducats TT2, he is original, that is a replica, which is a bike made ​​with found pieces of convenience, this does not matter, because I see the desire to do more with an enviable enthusiasm, and this enthusiasm has to be preserved, because this desire to do, or expensive motorcycles of great value, and motion of less value.

All of this is magic.

I always try, to understand the problems that put their friends in the forums, I often can not answer, because I understand what the problem is, but I do not have the ability, to explain technical data in English.

I love this forum, although I do not understand everything.

I try the same.

Sorry for my English. Carlo

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:30 pm 

Hi George,
Can Rocker wannabe's answer this question too? I can pin point it exactly. I was sitting on my couch the evening the January 1984 issue of "Cycle" magazine arrived in the mail, and I read Mark Homchick's article "Messenger In Red: Ducati TT2 600".
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:56 pm 

Carlo dont worry about your English mate... I can't speak Italian..or a host of other languages so don't worry about it your English is enough to be understood beside this is an international forum which is a power to its credit I think.

I myself am European :P English Dad German mum, lived all over the world (Dad was a soldier) I then joined the british Army for 17 years and have had a German wife with a German daughter (whom incidentally I met for the very first time three days ago!!!! Long story and maybe suitable for an episode of Oprah... maybe not here :D ) I now live in the Czech republic with a Czech partner and a more-czech-than-English son (poor little chap!!!)..and I work in Germany!!! so how more European can you get???

Bill I dont quite understand the Rocker wannabees bit but sure you can post...you have been here a lot longer than I ;)

I can put my fascination down to Ian Falloons 'Ducati story' I fell in love with the 900SL when I first saw a brochure in the early 90's and when I got a 900SS decided in 2007 to turn it into a 900SL... bought loads of books for info and saw the F1 factory racer in Faloons book that was it I had to have one.

I went on the internet and searched for loads of info (which also led me to this forum) and I decided to build a replica, using a 1989 750 Sport frame at first, until I saw Roy Thersby selling TT2/TT1 frames on eBay and asked him if he did the F1 race frame..which he had just started to make...so I was one of his first customers with this new frame. Jarno's bike was a great source of info as his bike had more pics on the internet a couple of years ago than any other F1 racer (real or replica!)

Once my project is finished I will do another one, maybe a TT1 replica or even the very first bol d'or 748 i.e racer which spawned the 851/888 bikes! ugly old tank on it but fascinating enough to be worth a go methinks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:36 pm 

Quote:
Steve and any other Mods....

I thought you might be from the U.K. and this was possibly a "Mods and Rockers" reference, maybe having something to do with age?? Anyway, I always thought if I was a Brit back then, I would be hanging with Rocker types...cafe racers and all.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 am 

pantah_good wrote:
Quote:
Steve and any other Mods....

I thought you might be from the U.K. and this was possibly a "Mods and Rockers" reference, maybe having something to do with age?? Anyway, I always thought if I was a Brit back then, I would be hanging with Rocker types...cafe racers and all.
Bill

Good Lord that was far too subtle for me Bill! Yes I am English but the Mods and Rockers era was when I was a very small boy... and we lived abroad anyway! I have seen the film Quadraphenia a few times if that helps! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:49 am 

D'oh....Mods = Moderator. Think I'm up to speed now.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am 

pantah_good wrote:
D'oh....Mods = Moderator. Think I'm up to speed now.
Bill

yep :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 pm 

The bit was set when I watched Lucchinelli battle Gene Church at Daytona in '85 on a tiny bike that made a very big sound..

And then - back in 2000 I think - Fran McDermott invited me to ride his TT1 with him in the inaugural vintage endurance race at Mosport. I was racing a hot bevel twin at the podium level (although I'd never won a race) at the time and thought my bevel racer was the bees knees. But I went out on the TT1 and was instantly converted.
Attachment:
frantt.jpg
frantt.jpg [ 53.8 KiB | Viewed 3933 times ]

I was literally unbeatable for two years on that machine and because I couldn't find a TT1 to buy fast enough, I bought an F1 and sold the bevel racer.

Hot-rod, factory or replica - I love 'em all.

Although building my TT1 is driving me slightly crazy at the moment....

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:21 pm 

I only decided to build a works F1 replica 'cos the club I was in at the time restricts the class to 2 valve and air-cooled and i didnt want a 4 cylinder as everyone else has one of those!
Until this I wasnt really interested !

But...I am actually falling for the old racer as we make it, I mean, 100hp and 140kg should be fun no matter what and I cant wait to hear it run !! :D