DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: building a replica around a fuel tank
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

Another couple of pictures of an ongoing project. Years ago I bought a twin filler TT1 fuel tank on ebay. It was so unique I decided I would build a replica around it using parts I've accumulated over the years. I tried to have it ready for Barbers but sadly it was just a dream. Having deadlines helps to get projects completed but not this time. She seems to be moving along now and should be at the 4th Symposium in New Hampshire. Nice Campy wheels, proper swingarm, and forks. NCR embossed catch bottle (hard to see) QR Brembos. As well as some parts from our awesome parts man Carlo. Steve D'Angelo matched what appears to be the original paint on the tank and shot all the other bits. She is really a looker. Some oil and rear brake lines and a little wiring and she should be ready to go. How's that Mike V? Lou

Attachments:
SDC10407.JPG
SDC10407.JPG [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 6544 times ]
SDC10410.JPG
SDC10410.JPG [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 6544 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: building a replica around a fuel tank
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am 

Hi Lou,
Please, just once, build a dog. Could you tell me about the steering damper and the tires? Are those Campy's tubeless? Also, why would it have the two fuel fillers?
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:54 am 

That is beautiful Lou. I will be studying these photos for a while. I remember that tank too! MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm 

As always the old Lou Saif never ceases to amaze us!

He is out of the hat, very fine parts.

I bow before such precision and beauty.

Congratulations Lou, you're very good.

I have made you a question: how do I replicate the designs of blue on the tank and fairing you to create a template or a Secureties Placing drawings to replicate optimally?

Lou for President!! Carlo

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:42 pm 

OK, Bill the tires are Bridgestones 18" and 16". 160 rear, 130 front and tubeless. The damper is an NGK. I use these for the TT's because they are period and look like the originals. If I were racing in 'anger' I would use a better quality damper and 17" wheels. I am building a racer so I can play with my friends next year. Two fillers is anyones guess, I would think in endurance racing they would want to fill that 'giant' tank of our favorite little bikes as quickly as possible and not all sanctioning bodies allow 'drybreak' type fuel fillers. I really appreciate the kind things you guys say, it always helps to motivate me to keep trying to do a better job. TT's are the hardest 'simple' bikes to build. Carlo you make us all these parts to make life easier. Can I make you some patterns for the tank paint? My painter Steve D'Angelo usually does them 'free hand' which I like because they are kind of asymetrical. Probabaly like the originals. I don't think I have ever seen two TT1's with the same paint job! So when I build a replica I always try and do a different layout. Let me know which one you like and I will send it to you. And as far as the presidency goes we have enough 'knuckleheads' in the running here we don't need another one! 4 TT tanks in the picture and no two the same. Lou

Attachments:
DSC00812.JPG
DSC00812.JPG [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 6438 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 pm 

" I am building a racer so I can play with my friends next year"
Are these words coming from Lou? We would defintely welcome not the President but THE KING OF THE TTies. Your hiness has built some beautiful thrones!
As for 2 holer endurance tanks one hole is for gas in and the other is for air out. Keeps the sloshing down. Not as fast as a dry break but not bad for old school.
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:31 pm 

message received !!!!!

Grazie Lou! ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:00 pm 

About the dual fillers; Roadracing World had a recent article about the TZ750s with dual dry breaks, one on each side, so that they could fill from either side---depending on which way the track went. Maybe that was the thinking?

Great backdrop to the first photos, with all those exotic parts on that TT and wheels all over the place!

LOU: I do not see provision for oil lines from the engine or the oil cooler to the cam caps. Are you using the inline-engine system? MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm 

Yes Mike, that has the 'standard' oil system. It is a motor in a mild state of tune. I would like to build an NCR type motor for this bike. It is a replica but has a lot of nice period parts so the motor should be a 'good' replica too. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hi Lou,

The photographs of those bikes look so very very nice, they almost bring tears to an "retired" spanner man ! I saw your work for myself at Barbers last spring, it was inspiring, you have the rightful place on the throne.

Ducati F1 & F2 fuel tanks were always a source of amusement to me. We, TR/Ducati UK racing had four fuel tanks, I had to modify two of them to carry enough fuel for our F1 machines, 24 litres. The F2 fuel tanks were s'posed to be identical, however they, including the F1 tanks were all different as far as the pattern on the tank, and the paint colour was concerned, and their capacity's were also different. The IOM TT scrutineers were so strict that if your tank held even one eggcup more petrol than 20 litres for the F2, and 24 litres for the F1, you were, if you had finished in the top three disqualified from the results. However these small discrepancies in Ducati's spec helped to make these machines so unique and very special, and that is one reason why I love e'm.