DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Philip Island
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:28 am 

A great looking pair of bikes Glyn , nice to see some good photos of them .
Wishing you good luck at Philip Island for both you & your riders .

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:49 am 

Thank you Glyn, close-ups of your craftsmanship are always fun to study. If you get a chance at some point, I'd love to see how you handled the rear brake set up. I did a cross over for my buddy Robbie when we built his bevel 250 single racer. On both my Pantah race engines (with alloy swing arm), the swing arm spindle wants to work it's way out the r/h side. Have you experienced that on any of yours? That could be trouble for the shifting mechanism.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 pm 

Thanks for taking time to answer, Glyn. Like Bill says, these kinds of photos make the mind work, and encourage experimentation. And, I also wondered about the gear change mechanism too, because the swingarm pin in the TT900SS want to go in either direction depending on whether the track is left- or right-turn. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm 

The bike we run,originally a 600 but now a 750,came from Sports in 84/85.It ran the same gear change set up as shown on Glynn,s bike,the rods being welded up and steel through shaft and linkages used.The rear brake master cylinder was bolted to tabs welded to the frame,it could be used either side,but left side braking was common back in the day. We have reverted to the left side gearchange which my son prefers as this is used on his other bikes,frightening if you forget in the heat of battle!! I don't recall any problems with the changing of gears,nothing sloppy,and we had no problem with the spidle moving. The bike is now fitted with an alloy s/arm, again no movement problems. I,m not sure when Glynn was at Sports but maybe he may have modded our bike at some time. The frame is Verlicchi. I have noticed from various photo,s of tt,s that had the tabs welded both sides to suit the riders preference Our bike can still be used either way,tabs left on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:14 pm 

Oh and by the way,i agree,what a lovely pair of tt,s Glynn has turned out ,and painted with passion.I wish them a good and safe meeting,hell I so wish I could be there to see,smell,and hear them go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:50 am 

Hi Bill and Mike,

I have never had the issue of the swing arm creeping out. Maybe my 8mm allen keys have a much longer stem than yours.!

I am using an alloy arm on the F1 with no problems. Maybe a solution would be to machine a small internal 1.5mm wide groove into the s/arm bore say 5mm or so from the outside face of each side. Fit two circlips and treat the s/arm spindle much like a gudgeon pin. That'll fix it.
Steve came round last night to help me load the crates, one into the van and one onto the trailer. Finished at 1am, set off at 7am today. The bikes are locked inside the container in Auckland now (just got home) so can't take piccies of the rear brake set up till PI.
28 bikes went inside the box destined for PI today, --- and that's just from little old NZ !!

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your kind words. The Saxon frame on 'Baby' has rear brake lugs on both sides. Unless requested otherwise I do the same set up on my own frames. I also make the lugs with 3 holes to suit either short (modern) or long (ancient) master cylinders.

I an effort to avoid confusion I never actually worked at Sports mc's for Steve. We must have known each other for 30 years or so but I have always had my engineering business since I was 21 years old when I kicked off in my dad's barn with a lathe, mill, drill and a bandsaw and dug a 300 metre long trench by hand for the 3 phase cable. It still hurts. The trench did get somewhat shallower during the last 50 metres. ! The Ducati thing came along and bit me shortly after in the from of a black and gold 900ss. I suppose I am firstly a precision engineer, but the results of my labours happen to be Ducati shaped in nature. Somehow gravity took me to where I am today, 56 now and Incurable.

I supplied loads of parts for Steve for various projects over those many years and we enjoyed doing a lot of development stuff together. In a totally unexpected gesture, Steve suggested I take hold of the baton. A truly magnificent opportunity, but an equally huge burden of responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 am 

Hi Glyn

Beautiful bikes lots of great bits to look at on them, hope you have a great meeting at PI

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:51 pm 

If Picasso built race bikes, would he have taken them into battle?
Art...Envy...Awe...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:54 am 

Wow, ! I never heard that one flattop. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 pm 

Congratulations and Happy New Year Glyn, they are works of art for sure! Good Luck! Best Regards, Lou

Profile Personal album