DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Dr. Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 pm 

A few years ago racer Dave Roper did something that will forever leave me in his debt. He introduced me to Dr.David Kieffer. I met Doc during the sale of some of his beautiful race machines that spanned a few decades of his racing. He kept them all! I flew to Denver and met my friend Seth and we drove up to Dr.Kieffer's Garage in Laramie, Wyoming, trailer in tow. Doc had decided to start selling off his collection and I was lucky enough to see them while they were still together. In a nondescript corrugated steel building in the middle of nowhere. With tumbleweeds blowing around a brown landscape, was a garage filled with bikes we only dream of, much less get to race. The bikes I was most interested in was a set of Harris machines. His original TT2 cantilever and a rising rate version as well. I had never met Dr.Kieffer, but his reputation was larger than life. He was an orthopedic surgeon that helped more than a few racers get patched up. He also had a passion for racing and Ducati's. I already liked him before I met him, but he didn't know me. Didn't take us but a few minutes of chatting about the his bikes that he let his guard down. After that the hours passed like minutes. Talking about his relationship with Steve Wynn, how many racers, driving cross country, would stay overnite at his ranch on their way to different tracks, racing in Europe. We could of talked all night, but sadly we had to leave. We loaded the two bikes and a bunch of spares. Doc treated us to dinner and we made our way back to Denver. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was the start of a 'motorcycle connection' between two total strangers. We became friends because of this little Harris TT2 that we both loved. I understood what the bike meant to him and that made him feel glad that he sold it to me. Over the years we would exchange pictures of the bike that we would uncover, then emails for the holidays and more pictures, not always of the TT2. One of my favorite pictures, of him and his wife Alex riding his bevel Hailwood. Most all the pictures I've seen of him at race tracks was of a man in deep thought. A few weeks ago I received a call, coincidently it was the day I was having some guys coming over to the shop. At first I couldn't understand the low muffled voice, then he said 'it's Kieffer'. I was so happy to hear from him but I sensed something was wrong, he said he was tying up 'loose ends'. He was going to give me a set of leathers and some of his gear to display with the bike. He hadn't had a chance to do it, so he wanted me to speak to his son Chris about them. He had become home bound. I wished him the strength in the New Year to get over his illness, I did not realize the seriousness. He said 'Lou, this isn't one you come back from'…I felt a lump in my throat, and said goodbye. I felt awful. I went to the shop to meet my friends and talk about Ducati's. All all of them knew of Dr.Kieffer and were saddened by the news. Dr.Dave Kieffer passed away today. It was an honor to know him, and a privilege to be caretaker of his beautiful Harris TT2. Rest in peace Doc. Lou http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Feb ... drdave.htm

Attachments:
get-attachment-27.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment-27.aspx.jpeg [ 451.68 KiB | Viewed 1703 times ]
9440299298_3a6cb65e7e_z.jpg
9440299298_3a6cb65e7e_z.jpg [ 171.29 KiB | Viewed 1703 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: RIP Dr. Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:26 pm 

Read this in Superbike Planet today, and the name was familiar, but not sure why. Sorry, to read this, but nice to know who (the Dr.) owned your Harris TT, and the one Mark has (I think). At least those bikes ended up in good ownership. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:10 am 

Dr Dave was a regular in the day! Thanks Lou for personalising the true gentleman and providing those of us out here with the tumbleweeds just a little closer awareness of an obviously genuine enthusiast and cognoscenti.

fmcd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:37 am 

Dr. Dave was one of those special individuals that had the ability to afford beautiful race bikes but could also ride them to their potential. On a personal level there was this ability to talk Ducati even with those of us who were still developing social skills (me).
-Cranky-
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ort ... effer-rip/

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:19 pm 

Very nicely said Lou.