DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Team Leoni, Jim Baker, Brad Turner race bike
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:17 am 

I just had the pleasure of dealing with Eric Webster in the purchase of a former Reno Leoni prepared race bike. From what Eric has provided and I can gather around the internet, the bike had a few owners, Eric, Brad Turner, Jim Baker, Reno. I'm trying to fill in some blanks and get the bike as close to it's previous race livery as possible. For me it's going to be a track only bike and I'm trying to line up some vintage events in my area.

Right now it's at MCC in Villa Park. Greg Mellinger, one of the owners, knew Reno from back in the day. Greg is helping me get some of the trickier jobs taken care of. He's got a magic screwdriver that can synch and tune the carbs better than I can. He's also got a dyno! :D I'm looking forward to seeing what it can pull. I'll be tinkering with a number of other jobs until spring.

If you have any information on it's history I'd really appreciate it. If you have pictures of the bike from it's previous days that would be fantastic.

Thank you,
Jeff

Post subject: Re: Former Team Leoni, Jim Baker, Brad Turner race bike
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39 pm 

Very cool - congratulations! You probably could run it at a track day pretty much now, but it would need work to get thru AHRMA tech. See their rule book. A safety caution about those handle bars - they tend to crack around the welds. That's a really nice old radial master cylinder, and unfortunately, even an easy slide on the right side would probably trash it. It's really hard to know where to draw the line as far as setting stuff like that aside on an old race bike that you want to run like it was meant to. You want to keep all that great character, but make it safe too.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 am 

The bikes been here for a couple of weeks and I'm starting to get into a bit. It fired up and ran pretty well. MCC checked out the key components and we did a baseline dyno run. Not sure if this is good power or not but it runs smooth.

I'm going to get the tank clear coated to preserve Reno's signature. I'll need to do a few things, confirm brakes, clean it up, fresh fluids etc but for the most part it's rideable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm 

The first thing I see is that maxing HP is around 7500, and by 8000 it is heading down hill! Something closer to 9000, or more, would seem normal for a well-built small (750) race engine. Even the stock F1 supposedly makes maximum HP at 8900 RPM. Something seems amiss (or missing) to me. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:38 pm 

Greg, at MCC, admits his dyno is a little low, but your points are well taken. It runs smooth and for fresh off the back of a truck I'm pleased. I'm thinking I'll check a few other things Palmer mentions in my dyno thread, mount an AFR, and post results there. I'll run it some this summer and might end up getting really into it in the off season for next year. Right now I'm psych'd to get it to the track (as soon as the snow thaws).

Jeff