DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DUCATI GPM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 pm 

Dick le Dog,

I've tried some of those modifications but not the bleed off hole drilling one. Our Steve has made the modification to his track day ride I most intend to try, more modern forks. Works a treat. Proven results.

That said, M1-Rs are period and can be made to work adequately, some wag described having his forks gutted and replaced with cartridge kits.

Geoff Baines & friends have a very interesting history and the blanking plug idea sounds appropriate in my experience. Did you say that's what you did?

Boing-boing,

Fran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 pm 

Salut Fran,

I got some info from Moto One in Oz , but the valve elimination was John's idea after I had spoken to him about my forks.

The bottom line is; send your forks to Maxton Engineering for a result which eliminates ancient hydraulics, and gives suspension which makes your motorbike behave as it should.

Having said all that, I had 35mm Marzocchi forks on my Verlicchi TT2 which set a standard which I have yet to find elsewhere, and they are over twenty years old.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:14 pm 

............must also add that I replaced the springs with Hyperpro progressive springs weighted for a 750 Paso.

A vast improvement, but if you could have seen what was in originally........little surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:45 am 

............ahem, that was in the M1Rs I mean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 am 

Quote:
Is that lovely Adamo 851 mostly production-based and in the 370 lbs range DW? Will it be track ridden at some future time? A vid would be well worth planning for. Any actual rebound with those M1-Rs?

Hi Fran,
I'm not sure "lovely" is appropriate just yet. Let's just say it was raced very hard, and I'm sure a lot of work was done to it while under pressure to get it to the grid before the green dropped. I'm still trying to figure out it's real history. Haven't weighed it, and it absolutely will be returned to the track. I'm hoping to do most of the chassis work before I give Bruce the engine when he gets back to New Hampshire in early spring. This is my first shot at M1R's. Maybe three years ago I had Eric Colbath go completely thru the set that was on the bike. One of the tubes was bent, and Franks' didn't stock that size tube. I was able to get a n.o.s. Tricolor set and clamps from Ian Gowanloch, and we transferred the new springs and set-up over to those. I know I have all that initial set-up and spring info some where, but haven't found it yet (maybe Lou can tell me where to look). Thankfully, all I have to do to my TT is put the race tires back on and gas it up, I'm really locked in on this 851, it's pretty cool.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:00 pm 

Hi from Italy :)

The three types of chassis, Verlicchi, Moretti, and GPM are the same as weights.

The problem of chatter on the frame Verlicchi factory Ducati, rear cantilever is caused from the shock.

At first, we tried to solve the problem, mounting a 16-inch wheels.

The frame and chassis Moretti GPM works very well because the rear shock is straight.

The chattering is caused from the shock of the frame Verlicchi back. it is he who puts a strain on the front.

The Double System shock is still used on modern bikes.
Quote:
It should be possible to adjust ride height with a linkage suspension and a straight-rate spring would be better, correct?

Could you explain better, please? I do not understand very well.

As for the Marzocchi M1R, is just right and correct what he wrote Dick The Dog.

In general, in fact, to eliminate the chattering, you must loosen the springs and do plumbing work.

Thank you very much

Leoncini Carlo

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 pm 

fmcd92 wrote:
Ciao Carlo,

Any actual rebound with those M1-Rs? I had to do 20w on rebound side which had two consequences, predictably.

Thanks heaps, both of you!

Fran

It's not that Fran and I haven't spent countless hours engaged in deep and rigorous testing and and modifications with the M1Rs... From way back in the loudbike blog archives (June 2005):

"The M1R responds well to tuning, and is an excellent fork for the contemporary vintage racer. It's known for a few foibles though - most notably, the completely useless rebound adjustment knob on the right side fork leg. We loudbike-types generally set ours to the 3rd out of 4th position - if only for the appearance that we wouldn't have to resort to the 4th position to make our forks work.

At the past Mosport event, I found that the new and improved F1 was feeling a bit on the wooden side of stiff, so after moving down to an Ultralight fork oil in the left ( compression) leg with no major improvement, I decided that an adjustment to the spring preload was in order. It's a fairly simple process really. First; call Fran over. He's the man when it comes to track-side precision hacksaw work. Next, debate the pro's and con's of jacking the front of the bike up to unload the front end. Decide against this approach, gash your right thumb when the loaded fork caps springs off of the top of the fork, and go off in search of a band-aid.

With the fork tube spacer in hand, find a suitable surface, debate the actual amount of material to be removed from the preload tube, and scribe with a vernier caliper.

Carefully balance on the top of the toolbox while placing as much weight on the tube with your right foot while giving Fran just enough room to work - and try to act nonchalant while striking such an awkward pose. It's important to give Fran just the right amount of encouragement while he attempts to cut a relatively straight path though the preload tube. Too much and he'll slap you upside the head. Not enough and he'll lose interest and go off in search of tea. Marvel at the skill and speed displayed by this seasoned professional.

Find a third party to load the socket while you and Fran wrestle to fork cap onto the loaded fork tube and spin the cap into position. Adam's really good at this kind of work. Repeat the process (except for the thumb bashing bit).

Stand back, have a smoke and remember (quietly, to yourself) that all this work has little if any effect on actual spring rate."

I should add that the preload we stumbled upon that day 5 years ago turned out to be perfect and after swapping out the tiny spring in the rebound adjuster circuit, I was able to dial in a set-up that worked brilliantly with Ultralight in the compression side and 20wt in the rebound side.

Attachments:
M1R.jpg
M1R.jpg [ 334.49 KiB | Viewed 1975 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:25 am 

...here it is possible to be seen on sale

http://www.stileitaliano.com/index.php? ... ategoria=3

http://www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/duc ... 520803.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:41 pm 

Hi, 750 tt

yes, the bike is for sale. Italy is very small place :)
I went to see it with one of my friend. He was going to buy it, but then, he prefered to buy an TT1.

CIAO, Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:17 pm 

Hi Carlo, what TT1 did he buy? Was the GPM original? Do you have more pictures of both bikes? Lou

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next