DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member for Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:42 am 

Good morning all,

Thank you for having me in your forum. A friend of mine and myself have just finished a 1990 750 Sport (hopefully a picture is attached to this post). You guys have help me several times in the past few months. As a guest I would check in on you guys for direction. I look forward to gaining more insight from all of you.

Ray

Attachments:
File comment: 1990 750 Sport
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG [ 711.74 KiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Member for Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:05 am 

Hello Ray, nice machine you've got there .

salut,

Dick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 am 

Hi Ray and welcome,
Very good looking Sport. Love those megaphones! What is the story on those?
Bill
p.s. Are those the original tires?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 pm 

Those megs look like the Raymond Roche replica high pipes that were made for the 851s. Years ago I got a set from Reno and adapted them to my 900ss. I would almost give my left testicle for another set as they sound soooo good. The supply seemed to dry up in the mid 90's and I've been looking ever since. The set I have are kinda twisted and flat in spots, Gravity Cavity at Road Atlanta 100+ claimed them.
Could be a nice project for Mr Munroes pipe maker?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm 

Hi Wdietz,
Gravity Cavity at 100+.... I'm impressed! What a track. I've only done it at dork speed. I think you mean the beautiful '89 Lucchinelli Replica (see photo), the last year for 851 reverse cone megaphones. The Roche replica had cans. But you're right about everything else. Very desirable, none out there, and they are gorgeous. Ray's look to me like they're designed for a Sport, and I'm guessing maybe they're Bubs. Bub used to make a lot of really nice megaphones, but they are strictly Harley crap makers now. They won't even talk to you about making any of their old stuff, I've tried. And I also think you are right about there being a market for old school looking megaphones.

Coincidentally, I just brought home from our welder a set of Crankyroller/Mike Weber designed "megaphones" for the '88 Adamo 851 racer I'm slowly rebuilding to get back to the track. Mike also designed the Steve Munro F1/TT "megaphone" pipes that work so well. Once they're black, finished, and actually hooked up to a working engine, they should look pretty close to real megaphones and I'm hoping they sound good too.
Bill

Attachments:
canvas.png
canvas.png [ 489.47 KiB | Viewed 4981 times ]
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 924.81 KiB | Viewed 4981 times ]
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 846.97 KiB | Viewed 4981 times ]
010.JPG
010.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 4981 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:12 pm 

pantah_good wrote:
Coincidentally, I just brought home from our welder a set of Crankyroller/Mike Weber designed "megaphones" for the '88 Adamo 851 racer

Nice pipes Bill.

Do you still have the 16" Marvics? Can I please have first dibs on them if you ever decide to sell them? :roll: ...another of my fetishes... I have red F1 bar ends to trade 8-)

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:04 pm 

Sorry Mike, they were 17's anyway. You now need to talk to Cranky. We got more serious about a lot of items when the AHRMA Next Gen Superbike class came on line.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 pm 

Yeah, 100+ HURTS! It also took out 3 ribs and my right collarbone. In the 1st practice at a CCS race. A guy [I think it was A Yates] took out my front wheel just as we started down the hill into the cavity, slammed the ground and slid almost to the bridge abutment while hearing bikes footpegs whiz past my head. Ruining the pipes pissed me off the most! The 851 system looks great. I wonder if that was the same bike I saw in Renos basement with carbs on it? Something about not being able to get good chips from that other Ducati tuner is what I heard.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:02 pm 

Yates burnishing his reputation? Yes, this is/was the carburetor bike. I don't suppose you had your camera with you? Please let me know anything you might remember about the bike when you saw it.

Ray, you should probably get your thread back. The only direction I would offer you, besides taking good care of those pipes, is to mount a set of fresh tires - if those shown in the picture are the old timers.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:38 pm 

Yeah Ray, Sorry about the jack. We old farts tend to forget where we are and what we were talking about[at least I do] +1 about the tires. They were crap when they were new and unlike wine they don't improve with age.