DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ducati pantah 'NCR" on ebay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm 

Personally I think this guy is a great story teller and probably believes everything he wrote, but this looks like an NCR chromemoly pantah frame kit that used a standard road bike for parts. They sadly cut down the full fairing. I have never heard of an aluminum Pantah frame . DM makes an aluminum one based on their TT style frame. If anyone knows about these 'special alumaframes' please let me know. Ebay #261189003821. Lou

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: ducati pantah 'NCR" on ebay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:37 pm 

This is supposed to be an alumaframe NCR Lou. This photo is from the Superpantah site, but I have read about it in detail somewhere else. MikeV
Attachment:
gpm_tt2_01.jpg
gpm_tt2_01.jpg [ 36.37 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 am 

even if the story is correct.....the price...uhmmm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 am 

I asked the ebayer to send me some pictures of the frame so I could see the welds. He did and it looks like a mig welded chrome/moly frame just like the one I used to have. I am sure it is not aluminum.
Does anyone have close up frame pictures of the 'alumaweld' frame? Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 pm 

Wow, he'd have to move that decimal point one space to the left before I'd be interested in it.

He's only 2 hours from me...want me to go put fingerprints all over it Lou?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm 

Take a magnet with you.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 pm 

I'll take both kinds.

A regular magnet, and my special aluminum magnet..... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:26 am 

618F1 wrote:
This is supposed to be an alumaframe NCR Lou. This photo is from the Superpantah site, but I have read about it in detail somewhere else. MikeV
Attachment:
The attachment gpm_tt2_01.jpg is no longer available

I actually owned this bike some years ago. Here is a pic of what it was like when I owned it. Since your photo somebody had added an F1 fairing painted the frame and wheels and installed a very nice muffler. It also came with the competition muffler, which was very loud. At the time I couldn't find out much about it, was anectdotally told it was from Bob Brown, however it had an Al frame, magnesium forks etc. Should not have sold it in hind sight. :)

Attachments:
Picture 040.jpg
Picture 040.jpg [ 94.68 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]
Picture 043.jpg
Picture 043.jpg [ 173.06 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]
Picture 039.jpg
Picture 039.jpg [ 129.75 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]
5a_1_b.jpg
5a_1_b.jpg [ 29.46 KiB | Viewed 983 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:01 am 

Nice bike, really nice and you probably shouldn't have sold it. Unfortunately we can't keep them all. At least I can't. We have an expensive hobby! Now for the bad news, this is not an aluminum frame. Just by looking at the welds you can tell this is a steel frame that is mig welded. I had one of these frames, I have seen close up pictures of the frame that the seller sent me (I can't down load them otherwise I would post them). Pat Slinn wrote to Marc Poels, who then wrote to Sauro Collini, none of these gentlemen (experts) have ever seen or heard of an aluminum pantah frame. They are aware of the bike with the blue frame on the pantah site and said it is a steel frame.That being said, this is a beautiful and surprisingly light frame. It is in the NCR catalog. If this is indeed Shmokica's old bike, it had the components on it that would have been used by NCR. As it is now, you have a nice frame with some standard components. The fairing is not F1 and looks like a cut down version of what NCR had at the time as well as the right exit pipe. Sorry guys, just trying to be accurate with history. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 pm 

Hi Lou, Thanks for the update. The bike I owned was the blue frame bike, which like me is located in Australia, so I would say it is not the Ebay bike. After that picture was taken with the blue frame etc, it was purchased by a guy in NSW, who repainted the frame and added the f1 fairing. I purchased it from him, and when I picked it up, it had a complete exhaust, with a cutdown reverse cone in black and the SS fairing as pictured. It was, ironically, my only road going bike at the time, and was not nice to ride at low speed, as the engine was not relaxed, it was cramped and the suspension was very wooden. However, as you would expect at speed through the twisty roads near where I like it was very nice indeed. Yes an expensive hobby it is, I have always had to sell a bike to finance the next. My F1 project is proudly sponsored by the sale of this... :(

Attachments:
28052011052.jpg
28052011052.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 936 times ]