DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michelin 160 x 80/ZR16 Rear tyre
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm 

I have for sale in the UK 1-NOS (never fitted) Michelin M89X rear tyre in 160 x 80/ZR16 size which is correct for Montjuich, Laguna Seca or Santamonica and probably some others models that I don't know about. I purchased it around 4 years ago since which time it has been kept in dark, dry conditions. It came from a tyre dealer so has, presumably, been stored correctly before that. Its date code is 3300 (so mid 2000 manufacture). Its a "spare" spare for my bike and at my current mileage, realistically I'll never get round to using it! So---if anyone needs one its available for £60 + cost of carriage. To save on carriage it could be collected/delivered in any area close to Cleveland or Lincoln or could deliver to Stafford show (Sunday). If interested please e-mail me on rgotech@yahoo.co.uk.

Post subject: Re: Michelin 160 x 80/ZR16 Rear tyre
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm 

Would that tire be a 160/60ZR-16?

An 80% section height sounds too tall IIRC....

Post subject: Re: Michelin 160 x 80/ZR16 Rear tyre
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:14 am 

Hi Dukerdr,
To answer your question the rear tyre I have for sale is 160 x 80ZR16. Back in 1986 the dealer I bought my Montjuich from, agreed to swap the factory fitted slicks for suitable road tyres (a good deal for him??) and fitted the nearest equivalent sizes which, at that time, turned out to be 160 x 80ZR16 rear and 120 x 80ZR16 front, Michelin Hi-Sport. By 2007 the original tyres were still only 1/2 worn, still reasonably soft but showing sidewall micro-cracks and so they needed changing. I had some previously bought rears in the original size but the only front Hi-Sport I could get was 130 x 70/ZR16 which I fitted - rolling radius is about the same and seems to handle no different.
I think only the Montjuich came with slicks as standard, so would be interesting to know what tyres sizes the factory originally fitted to Laguna Seca and Santamonica. These 80 aspect tyres do look a bit clunky before you fit them but once on the rims look more in proportion - or maybe its because I've got used to seeing them. I've never had a handling problem with the Hi-Sports but couldn't really comment on how the M89X would be as my only (brief) experience of these was when I had some fitted to a DB1,
Richie.