DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: original unrestored TT2 in UK
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:00 am 

heh heh belt boy,nice one,BUT I,m note sure about the nose ring.It,ll add weight, :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:58 am 

Unless it's Ti maybe...

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:48 am 

if it,s an original ,DONT,but if its a replica then why not. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am 

I must apologize, I do not speak English very well.

If the bike was assembled in 1980 as it does to be a replica?

is a motorcycle at the time, and this causes it to be a right bike.

Maybe it will be of 1982-1983.

If I asked a stupid thing it is because I can not capture every nuance of your speech.

Greetings to the whole company.

carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm 

All the “is it original or not” discussion seems to assume that these bikes are like Manx Nortons where every machine was recorded; engine & frame numbers known; production per year known; upgrade dates known, all OE parts recorded & numbered in a parts book etc. All genuine machines of the long period when the Manx was produced by Norton (53-63 roughly) can easily be identified by access to these records via the owners club or Vintage club in the UK. The spec of each year is well known down to changes in nut & bolt sizes.

Hundreds of Manxs were made in the 50/60s, many more 100% replicated for racing 20 years later - & to this day. There can be no confusion of the two periods due to these records existing. No doubt some dubious “originals” have been constructed in later years – old engine , new frame - but that will always happen.

The TT2/1 is totally different. A very small number of “Ducati factory” TTs were made – for convenience lets use “the 40” figure quoted in this thread – over 4 years. If any records of frame & engine numbers (let alone spec sheets) exist of “the 40” those holding them are keeping them very close to their chests.

TT2 “Originality” isn’t easily definable by numbers, records & spec but appears to be left to the memories & notes of those about & involved in the period. Can any of our experts produce a dating certificate for a TT2 frame which would be acceptable to licensing authorities in the UK for instance? I can confirm that you can for a Manx frame as I am about to register one for the road here in the UK. Written records of fact are required to issue such a document not opinion or memories no matter how accurate.

At the time the factory were making the “originals”other TT2 frames appear to have been available – is it not true that Harris replicated a Verlicchi/Daspa TT frame in this period not 20 years later as in the Manx case? Others made & raced their own versions of the TT2s alongside the original 40. Thersby, Harris, Maltry (and indeed non-Ducati sourced Verlicchi) all appear in the results at the same time as “the 40”.

So we are in the position that replica TTs existed alongside the factory-made originals on the same grids. Built using the same Verlicchi / Daspa frames in many cases (or other contemporary copies), using similar production based engines, the same Marzocchi forks, Campag wheels, Pulsar shocks & fibreglass tanks,seats etc.

The point of all this is to illustrate that unlike the Manx example where “original” & “replica” are easily defined we have “original factory” (the 40); “original period replica” ( those built & raced against the 40 in the TT2/F2 series period) and “replica” (those built to this day using Harris/Pierobon/Thersby frames).

If those of us, experts & enthusiasts, interested in TTs of all periods (I count myself as one of the latter) could agree on the terminology to be used when describing machines, for sale or otherwise, then perhaps we could avoid further confusion w.r.t “original” ; “original period replica” & “replica” & further unhelpful comment such as this thread has unfortunately produced.

A discussion worthy of one of our experts opening a fresh thread?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:43 pm 

From your advert,the tt2 is correctly described,as an original build,and not being branded as one of the 40 or so. The forks were probably fitted to give it an edge on the factory built bikes and as such probably makes it a better bike.I don't pay too much attention to originality if I end up with a better bike. My tt2 has the same forks as yours,and I,m pleased about that,they are just fine. My own bike came to me via sports motorcycles,sold by sports in 1984 ,and passed through a couple of guys before ending up in my shed 20 years ago. It,s every bit as good as any of the originals I,ve come across and is still being thrashed around the tracks.I would be proud to sit her in my shed,and set her around the tracks ,now how do I raise the cash,that,s my problem.It sure stirs the soul .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am 

norvin998 wrote:
All the “is it original or not” discussion seems to assume that these bikes are like Manx Nortons where every machine was recorded; engine & frame numbers known; production per year known; upgrade dates known, all OE parts recorded & numbered in a parts book etc. All genuine machines of the long period when the Manx was produced by Norton (53-63 roughly) can easily be identified by access to these records via the owners club or Vintage club in the UK. The spec of each year is well known down to changes in nut & bolt sizes.

Hundreds of Manxs were made in the 50/60s, many more 100% replicated for racing 20 years later - & to this day. There can be no confusion of the two periods due to these records existing. No doubt some dubious “originals” have been constructed in later years – old engine , new frame - but that will always happen.

The TT2/1 is totally different. A very small number of “Ducati factory” TTs were made – for convenience lets use “the 40” figure quoted in this thread – over 4 years. If any records of frame & engine numbers (let alone spec sheets) exist of “the 40” those holding them are keeping them very close to their chests.

TT2 “Originality” isn’t easily definable by numbers, records & spec but appears to be left to the memories & notes of those about & involved in the period. Can any of our experts produce a dating certificate for a TT2 frame which would be acceptable to licensing authorities in the UK for instance? I can confirm that you can for a Manx frame as I am about to register one for the road here in the UK. Written records of fact are required to issue such a document not opinion or memories no matter how accurate.

At the time the factory were making the “originals”other TT2 frames appear to have been available – is it not true that Harris replicated a Verlicchi/Daspa TT frame in this period not 20 years later as in the Manx case? Others made & raced their own versions of the TT2s alongside the original 40. Thersby, Harris, Maltry (and indeed non-Ducati sourced Verlicchi) all appear in the results at the same time as “the 40”.

So we are in the position that replica TTs existed alongside the factory-made originals on the same grids. Built using the same Verlicchi / Daspa frames in many cases (or other contemporary copies), using similar production based engines, the same Marzocchi forks, Campag wheels, Pulsar shocks & fibreglass tanks,seats etc.

The point of all this is to illustrate that unlike the Manx example where “original” & “replica” are easily defined we have “original factory” (the 40); “original period replica” ( those built & raced against the 40 in the TT2/F2 series period) and “replica” (those built to this day using Harris/Pierobon/Thersby frames).

If those of us, experts & enthusiasts, interested in TTs of all periods (I count myself as one of the latter) could agree on the terminology to be used when describing machines, for sale or otherwise, then perhaps we could avoid further confusion w.r.t “original” ; “original period replica” & “replica” & further unhelpful comment such as this thread has unfortunately produced.

A discussion worthy of one of our experts opening a fresh thread?

Hello, first I want to thank you, because your English was translated very clearly from my friend Simultaneous translator.

I am very agree on your position, I do not know if I'll have to say what I think, I'll try and tell you the story as I know.

Hi, guys,
this is what I know (sorry for my english..):

I spoke a lot with Rino Caracchi about TT2's history.
He told me that in 1982, the Engineer Taglioni commissioned Verlicchi 20 frames , which were assembled in the workshop of the NCR because , at the time, Ducati wasn't going to do racing bike but only road bike.
The first 20 frames and the engine case, haven't serial number because they were obtained from the assembly of PANTHA DUCATI 600 then relieved, and deliverables

In 1983, the Ducati has done new production of 25 bikes TT2, with 16-inch front wheel.
The new production was given the serial number of the frames, with Ducati's invoice, there was mounting the engine Ducati and they have been referred (italian "moto clienti") customers bike.
This has to do with the TT2 history.

In 1983, the frame builder of Livorno (city of Italy in Tuscany)Domenico Moretti designed a chassis with the rear shock, removing the annoyng problem of chattering , wich manifested itself on the official Ducati TT2.

In 1983, Becchetti Ugo, Ferdinando De Cecco won with a frame Moretti.
At the end of the bike championchip, the Becchetti's bike has been tested in the Mugello by the great Walter Villa, always surprise by the chassis frame of the Ducati TT2Moretti.
Then, the Ducati asked to Ugo Bechetti if he could bring the bike in the Ducati factory: from there came the basis for Ducati 851 superbike.
You can see the likeness of my frame, with a frame Moretti Ducati 851. It was released in 1982 with all the features of a modern motorcycle ( I think).

I know Rino Caracchi very well, and Ugo Becchetti married my sister, so I know him better.
and when I bought my TT2 Sakamoto , I went along Ugo Becchetti to Bologna from Caracchi because we wanted to see my bike to him,and on this occasion, he told me the story and I believe him.

Thank you for your attention.

Carlo Leoncini

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hello Carlo,

What happened to the original Moretti TT2 ?
Does it still exist?

Graeme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 am 

graeme wrote:
Hello Carlo,

What happened to the original Moretti TT2 ?
Does it still exist?

Graeme

Hello Graeme, the motion of Becchetti De Cecco, I am no longer able to get news, I think it's in Germany or the Netherlands.

I'll show you the frame that was published in a Japanese magazine, the photo below is beccheti ugo, ex-husband of my sister, if you go down in the annals Where are the victories of Ducati, you will see that Becchetti won in 1983 Italian Championship TT2, and in endurance, along with Ferdinand De Cecco.

ps.great job with the oil pump! ;)

Attachments:
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg [ 263.9 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm 

I think that search total originality in a racing bike is a utopia.
from the first moment every owner will seek the way to adapt this for best performance.
There will be some essential parts of origin and others as a minimum should be parts of the time used in racing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next