DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wtb Race cams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:27 am 

Im looking for a pair of cams that suits racing better than my standard alazzurra cams,

Regards Claes

Post subject: Re: Wtb Race cams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:29 am 

You might want to consider 900ss cams.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 am 

Hi Bill!
Absolutly if anybody has a pair of front 900ss cams i am interested. 900ss, ST2, montjuic, basicly anything thats better than what i have. :D .

Claes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm 

The 900 cams will go in easily. Old racing Spare Parts in Italy still shows a racing cam for sale; I would like to know if anyone has bought one from them recently. MikeV

http://www.oldracingspareparts.com/twin ... tt600-tt2/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 pm 

It kind of depends on how serious you're going racing (and engine build) as to cam choice. I've got 900ss cams in my basically stock Ally engine and there is something there, but it's on the civilized end. Fine for me. Robbie's 750 full race motor has #7 cams, and it will sorta idle, but it wants to be pinned and spinning up the rear. He likes it that way, and has the necessary race skills.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm 

Hi guys!
I have seen that oldracingspareparts has cams and i also believe that megacycle has
cams but there are no email adress on megacycle website. I was hoping that someone
on the forum had a pair hopefully a little bit cheaper than brand new ones. My engine is a 650 ally with 750 paso cylinders and pistons, ported head 35/41 valves, gives just under 60hp on the rear wheel. I was hoping to change cams this winter and switch from 36 to 40mm dellorto and hopefully gain a little bit more. Do you have an idea about how many hp 900 cams gives compared to stock 650?

Claes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm 

Hi Claes,
No, I don't know, I've never had mine on a dyno in its present state. There are too many variables to give you a reasonable answer, and yours is not a stock Ally. My bikes previous engine, a properly built race 750 with the 900ss cams made lower mid 70's hp. I'm not an engine builder, so if someone who is wants to jump in here, please do. What is your chassis? Are you a beginning novice or a fast expert? If you are nearer the novice end, there is a lot more time to be made up into and thru the corners than on the straights, and that's all chassis, rider skill and experience. 900ss cams would probably be best in that case. If you are passing everybody in the corners and they are getting you back on the straights, then work on the engine.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 am 

Hi Bill!
Im far from a fast expert but i have been racing classic bikes for quite many years and on this bike i can keep up quite good in braking and cornering but
on the straights alot of guys passes me :cry: . I have talked to other guys that races pantah and they claim alot more hp on there bikes. I raced a TT1 a couple of years ago and that engine was almost the same as the one i have now exept for 40mm dellorto, lightened flywheel and dual spark and that one gave 65 hp.
That engine also had standard cams so it feels like there should be alot of power to gain there.
This year the chassies was a standard alazzurra with steeper steering angle and dual öhlins on the back. but this winther its getting a new pantah racing frame
and a mono shock swing arm. Im also getting harder springs in the fork as it bottoms out.

Claes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 am 

Hello Claes,
I have a road TT2 rep that has similar mods to your bike with higher compression and 2 front 900ie cams. It goes very well, idles from cold and the engine spins up very quickly.
You will definitely notice a fair difference with better cams.

Regards
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hi Graeme!
A road tt2 cool! must get a lot of looks when driving down the street.
It's good to hear that changing cams would make a difference.
Now I just gotta find a pair ;)

Claes