DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need 96mm 851/888 pistons
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:22 am 

We are looking for 96mm (64mm stroke) pistons for the Adamo 851 rebuild. Bruce thought he had a pair on order from Wiseco, but now they're saying they are out of stock and want an order of (12) to make more. These would be for a 926cc 851/888 engine, not a 955. I'm waiting to get the pin diameter from Bruce and when I get it I'll edit this post. Sorry this is not a TT/F1 issue, but these things are getting scarce and any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Bill
p.s. Soon as I get a chance I'll get up a TT report from last weekends VIR races.

Just got this from Bruce: "20mm wrist pin 28.5 mm height from center of pin to flat top of piston. Any thing within .5mm will work"

Post subject: Re: Need 96mm 851/888 pistons
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:50 pm 

Have you tried Ferracci? He may have some stashed away out of his normal stock. You would probably need to talk to him directly rather than the parts people. IIRC the 955 used 96mm and a longer stroke. Also in the maybe memory dept. I think JE has a four piston mininum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 pm 

Hey, Bill - not to hi-jack the discussion (although I did turn the warehouse upside-down looking for pistons) - but good to see you back..

Are you bringing your F1 down to Barber?

Regards,

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 am 

Hi Wdietz, yes I checked there first. I know Hoak there, who is very old school FBF, and it was he who came up with the cylinders for us. I could clearly visualize a pair of pistons on the shelf next to where the cylinders were, but it wasn't to be. The 916/955 pistons won't work in a 851/888 engine. I believe it's the wrist pin location and maybe even the pin diameter (I'm pretty much an engine idiot). I did find a pair in Germany for 714 Euros, but by the time they got to Bruce in New Hampshire they would be worth way too many US dollars. We're still looking.

Steve, thanks for looking. No, I hadn't even thought about bringing the F1. Robbie's trailer already has five race bikes and a scooter set to go in, plus all the shit that they require. Besides, I still haven't put the L/H fork tube back together from getting repaired before Mosport. That poor thing must hate the TT.
Bill