PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:04 am 

Maybe of interest to someone:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUCATI-TT2-H ... 1c23c20038

Clinton

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Harris TT2 on Oz ebay
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 pm 

Let's get it right !

A Ducati TT2 has a verlichi frame,!, nobody else's.

A Ducati TT2 has a 600cc motor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 am 

So what is it then? Is this another garage built special? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not a TT buff.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 am 

The Harris Framed bikes were quite famous, I am like Clinton and dont have a detailed knowledge, but I do remember the Harris TT as something desirable from the 80's.
This one looks quite trick with some nice mods to the motor, clutch, etc plus runs on Marvics and has an option of a nice front end. Would not say no to it in my garage, I could always buy those cheesy Verlichi stickers on Ebay and get some 600CC stickers as well so as not to offend. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am 

Hi Sumfun and Ozzy,

Sumfun, your Harris framed Ducati looks a nice bike and the specification sounds great and whoever is luckily enough to own it will have a lot of fun with it. However I am a stickler for the correct information and history to be preserved especially when it comes to the Ducati TT's.

Basically, a Ducati TT 2 was produced by Ducati between 1981 and late 1984, in response to to the FIM'S regulations for World championship F2 racing within Europe, and many more F2 events around the world.

The maximum permitted engine size for a formula two four stroke was 600cc. Ducati used a production based modified 600 cc pantah engine, that was in a very light tubular frame manufactured by the Italian company Verlichi, however a very small number of "factory" racing machines used a Italian manufactured Daspa frame. The front forks were 35 mm Magnesium shrouded Marzochi racing units.

The very well respected Harris brothers in the UK who manufactured racing and road frames for various models were given a Verlichi TT 2 frame to copy, this happened because Ducati for various reasons, would not increase their production of TT 2's.

Because people were finding it very difficult to purchase a Ducati TT 2, the Harris frame became very popular and people were installing their own modified 600cc Ducati Pantah engine into it and fitting various suspension units and wheels etc to enable them to race in the F 2 events. Many Harris framed road registered F2 Ducati engined machines were built.

It is worth pointing out that the only Ducati machines to win the Formula two world championship four times, 1981/2/3/4, and 3 IOM F2 TT races and many British and European BOT championships used Verlichi frames, Marzochi forks, and Campagnola wheels.

Pat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 am 

I have ridden that particular 680cc Harris Ducati. Back in 1995 I had a barely run in CBR900RR Fireblade, and luckily Jim the owner let me take it for a scoot. It felt so narrow and small it was almost push bike like. What wasn't pushbike like was the torque and sound of this thing.

I have some piccies of it when we all went riding through Cairns for a Bevel and Bullshit run, oooh those glorious mountain roads up there and the bellow of the TT, an Alchemy, a bevy of bevels and bunch of 2v belts not to mention loud 916's and 851's glory days...

This is the bike that started my whole TT2 fever, for years I hounded him to sell it to me, but he always changed his mind. Unfortunately personal circumstance is forcing him to sell both his monster and Harris, which is a shame.

This bike was originally built as a BEARS racer and even raced at a one of event in Townsville. If memory serves me well it had a mechanical failure, the then owners realised they over capitalised on this race bike and sold it. Not sure if Jim put it on the road or the race lads.

At any rate its had a lot of work done to it, its a pain to tune but by golly does it fly when its on song. I'd love to see it get back on the race track where it belongs. Whoever buys it will be a lucky owner, and could they please get in touch with me as I want to borrow the NCR dry clutch case to get a mold made of it.

I'm but an exhaust away of finishing my TT2 and almost done with what I consider to be the modern TT2 a highly tuned 1080cc RAD02, thinking about splashing some TT2 or TT1 paint on that.

Profile Personal album