DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the forum but not to Ducatis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 am 

Hello,

My name is TJ and I'm a long time Ducati owner/lover and a short time F1B owner. I have owned two rubber band 900ss models, and currently have a 95 916, (which I raced in AFM for several years), a 91 851 a 66 MachOne replica, and a 65 Mk III Diana project bike. The F1 in question belonged to a dear friend of mine who died a couple months ago. His wife asked me to handle the sale of his motorcycles. The F1 previously belonged to another good friend, and has been in my life since 1994, so I chose to become its new custodian. It's by no means a concours example, but is not horrible either. It has 40K km on it, and has been generally well cared for, with the only serious deviation from stock being 4 pot Brembo front calipers, and a side stand rather than the factory center stand. It also sports a Verlicchi race exhaust, the headers of which are cracked, have been welded several times, and which need to be replaced.

It had been sitting for several years in a storage locker when I got it and needed only a new battery, a good cleaning of the carbs, and some fresh gas to get running. She needed new tires desperately so I just spooned on a new set of Avons Roadrunners (fine for as hard as I'll push the little thing) and today I took her for her first real ride, through the Santa Cruz Mountains and up to Alice's. I must say that I was more impressed than I expected to be with the way the machine handled. I'm coming off a twice broken clavicle (dirtbike crash last Spring) and my normal streetbike is a KTM 990 Adventure, so it definitely took some time for me to get comfortable on the F1, with it's (ahem) firm suspension, and 16 in. front wheel. After 10 or 15 miles in the twisties I started to get comfortable and trust it enough to push it a bit, and it was truly a revelation. It's amazing how so very different it feels from the 916 and 851. In fact, it feels closer to the MachOne than either of the more modern super bikes. The handling is just telepathic, and despite the very serious nature of it, it's very fun to ride. My only complaint is that the exhaust is just too loud, and I feel old even thinking this, after all, my big Katoom has Akrapovic exhaust and neither the Termignoni outfitted 916 nor the old single are what you'd call quiet.

I'm hoping to clean up some of the corrosion and other cosmetic damage that the machine has collected over the years, and perhaps some day I'll treat her to a complete restoration. For now, I am happy to haul her out on weekends when I want a bit more sport in my ride than the KTM offers. And it's always fun pulling in on a motorcycle that there aren't any other examples of in the parking lot.

The attached picture is from the parking lot at Alice's this morning. I rode it with the lower fairing off due to a small crack in the header.

Ciao!
-tj in Los Gatos

Attachments:
IMG_1986.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg [ 603.31 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

1992 900SS
1991 851
1987 F1
1966 Mach 1 Replica
1957 Alfa Romeo 1900C SS
1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Veloce

Post subject: Re: New to the forum but not to Ducatis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 am 

Hi TJ,
Welcome to this excellent forum, many very helpful F1 people here. Your riding revelation reminds me of mine. After getting used to it a little, you realize the thing is really fun to ride. And it gets a whole lot better with the suspension squared away. The forks are really very good, just need proper springs and set up. If you've raced, you know the drill. Take care of the fork seals though, direct replacements are not available. A couple of us here are presently working on fixes for that problem. The stock shock needs to be replaced if you ride the bike at all. Ohlins no longer makes a model for the F1. I luckily got one before they stopped, and was treated to a very pleasant second riding revelation with the bike. It was transformed. Someone else here may know of a currently available good replacement, but I suspect a special order shock may be the only choice now. Worth every penny. Ian Gowanloch just sold a n.o.s. header http://www.ebay.com/itm/170699934545?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and muffler http://www.ebay.com/itm/170699930567?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 and he could very well have more. Well worth inquiring to him direct (italspares@gmail.com). Loudbike Steve Munro (on here) may have something as well. Great to see the picture of your F1 at Alice's and being ridden. They are very special bikes.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 pm 

Hay Pantah-goddie If yuo had actaully visited the Ducstock area at Barber ( less then a mile?) then you could have chatted with the Ohlin guys right next to us. Aparently they have a universal old school shock available that can be easily made up for the F1s.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:43 am 

CrankyRuler,
If that's the case, why were they keeping it a secret when we were trying to order one for Jane's F1 maybe a year ago or so? Swedish sleazeballs...WAIT...I'm 1/2 Swedish. Anyway, if anybody wants to try going that route, the following numbers are as they appear on the Ohlins box mine came in, which my give them a heads up on how they made them previously.
Bill

DU 7434
Duc 750 F1 86-88 #46HRC**
OHDU 7434

and

DU 7434
DUCATI 750 F1 86-88 #46HRCS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 pm 

Hey TJ,
Welcome to owning an F1. You'll love it because it is a special bike. You will be glad you decided to keep it. ;) I'm the original owner of one I raced for 8yrs, then retired to the street for 9 yrs, now back to track-days. I also have a 996, like your 916, and it is so much fun, too, but not old school and basic like the F1. And nothing handles, looks and sounds quite like the 2-valve air-cooled F1.

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the info about a rear Ohlins. I need to replace my White Power shock over the winter since going to the aluminum swingarm, it needs the longer shock. I'm not sure whether I'll go with a Penske or Ohlins. Cranky talked to those Ohlins guys and they said no problem building one up, they just don't stock them anymore. The Ohlins on my 996 sure works well...but I've heard the Penskes are good, too.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 am 

Hi Rich,
I've had a special order Penske with TI spring on the TT for years now, and it's been very good. Even was able to easily get from them a longer rod end when I needed to replace the old school Verlicchi arm with a Sport version. It was pretty pricy at the time, but a completely hassle free order. Nowadays with the exchange rate and probably several layers of "bureaucracy" to go thru to get an Ohlins made exactly as you want it, a Penske may be a good choice. Have you looked into altering your White Power? Please keep us posted on this - very interesting.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 am 

CrankyRoller wrote:
Hay Pantah-goddie If yuo had actaully visited the Ducstock area at Barber ( less then a mile?) then you could have chatted with the Ohlin guys right next to us. Aparently they have a universal old school shock available that can be easily made up for the F1s.

I've spoken with Matt Sage @ Ohlins North America. He states that they have all the pieces/parts on hand to assemble a type 46 bodied shock for a Ducati F1 or other cantilevered swingarm Ducati. They simply don't list it since the demand has dropped. However a quick phone call (and your credit card) and you can have one to your door in short order.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 am 

Hi Bill,
I hope we're not getting off the subject too far of TJ's new bike, maybe he needs a new shock, too. But anyway, I didn't investigate making my White Power shock longer. It has worked great for >20 yrs(!) but when I just had it rebuilt this spring, my local guy had trouble finding new seals and such. He had to get them thru KTM. Then when that really cranky guy tried to get his same shock rebuilt just a month ago, my good guy (Rob @ MotoWorx in Hatfield,MA) couldn't get the new seals from katoom. So the new plan is to sell my current just-rebuilt WP shock to that really cranked-out guy for his Harris TT1. He can be pretty picky, or should I say prickly (if its not done perfectly then don't do it!).

It seems from your post and crash's that I can pick either the Penske or Ohlins and be pretty happy. It was great to see you and your TT2 going so fast down at Barber. Congrats again on a nice finish.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 pm 

Rich, I think we are getting a little off thread, but I'm sneaking in one more. I'm beginning to think Mr. Cranky may have worked out some sort of commission deal with the Ohlins guys. That's o.k., he'll spend it very wisely. At least we know there are two very good shock choices for us. And just so there is no misunderstanding here, that wasn't me making my TT go fast. That was Mr. Nigl. I was the one making it go slow.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:46 pm 

Hey guys,

No worries regarding my new toy. I went out and had a very leisurely ride up Basin (probably the last one of the Fall as weather is coming and the days of warm mornings are likely gone till next year) which I captured on video here:

http://youtu.be/OtPH4nWfAos

I used a GoPro mounted to the side of the tailsection and didn't get it extended quite far enough, so the frame contains a bit too much of my arse. At least the sound is good. It was a beautiful morning as you can see but only the second time I have ridden her. I am still recovering from a twice broken clavicle (within the span of only 3 months) and I was wearing an Aerostich, so I was definitely taking it easy. Still, that bike is so damn fun to tip in to a corner. I'm starting to develop the feel for it. I'm already looking forward to next Spring.

I am definitely interested in an Ohlins shock some day, but right now the most pressing matter is that header. I've contacted Gowanloch but they currently do not have any available. I may have to have one fabricated locally.

Ciao!
-tj in los gatos

1992 900SS
1991 851
1987 F1
1966 Mach 1 Replica
1957 Alfa Romeo 1900C SS
1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Veloce