DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Palmer / Munro F1 Hot-Rod Build-Off
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 pm 

The bike looks fabulous, Gary. Bravo!

So, what happens to the Shorai if the charging system delivers more than 14.4?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 pm 

Hi Palmer,
First off, I'm not an electrical whiz, but can pass along some basic regulator experience. When I got my F1B the former owner told me it was over charging, and had dumped some battery acid on the rear end. I found out that was an issue with the stock regulator. Replaced it with this regulator, no problems after.

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bike ... ifier.html

When I put the charging parts back in the Alazzurra engine in my TT for a 3-hour endurance race, I put that same regulator in the system. I checked the output with a volt meter across the battery, and I remember it being about 13.8 volts. I had some installation wiring questions, and the Electrosport tech help guy on the phone was good. They could probably tell you what the max output is. The two mounting bolts are a little farther apart than the stock F1's regulators', but not a problem.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hi Bill,
Thanks, I e-mailed ElectroSport and all their regulator/rectifiers cutoff voltage is 14.8 volts.
Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:30 am 

Steve's bike was VERY impressive at Mosport...WOW! I couldn't stop looking it over. He seemed rather pleased with how it worked. Well done!!
Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:52 am 

Great to hear Bill! Hope you guys are having a great time and thanks for reporting back to us. Congratulations to Steve, enjoy the reward for all the work! Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:38 pm 

The congratulations should really go to Gary for developing such an amazing package. All I did was make it look prettier than it was. It worked right out of the box; superb handling and brakes, and power that left my old 853 many bike lengths behind on Mosport's long uphill back straight. I spent the weekend making small tweaks to the suspension settings and trying to find the right tire pressure for the Bridgestones (I'm going back to Pirelli). The machine is amazing.

Bar was out on his TT1 a few times and after going out on the Yellow Bike; pronounced it on of the top 3 machines he's ridden around Mosport. Fran was missed (his TT1 still in pieces), but Michel Robie was tearing around on his TT2 and Bill made it 3 TTs with the his toned-down Harris. It was a treat meeting Bill in person and having him in our pit. Sort of a prelude to Barber (where we now have Bill, Carlos, Paul Robbins, Gary and me planning on racing in the BOTT class).

Speaking of Paul - he was flying on my old 853 and has me thinking he might be the man to beat in the VRRA P4 F3 class this year.

Heading down into Turn 2..
Attachment:
DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG [ 4.58 MiB | Viewed 1380 times ]
Attachment:
DSC01728.JPG
DSC01728.JPG [ 3.06 MiB | Viewed 1371 times ]
Attachment:
DSC01729.JPG
DSC01729.JPG [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 1371 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am 

Hey Steve,
Don't forget Bruce. Standing around listening to you fast guys talking about Barber, I could see a good Pantah "race within a race" in BOT3 shaping up. Could be the best Pantah race we'll ever see for a long time, considering all the bikes likely to show up. Serious bragging rights at stake. Thinking about it on the long drive home, I decided Robbie is too good a friend to make him stand in the pits, while I run around back-marking at the track and on the bike, all be it with different engine and front end, that he narrowly clinched the 2006 BOT3 championship with. So I'll dub around on it in the other stuff, but Robbie gets the ride in that one. I'm guessing you are smiling as you are reading this, I hope you are anyway. The more fast guys and fast Pantah's the better, I say. I'm hoping somebody steps up and offers Roper a good ride.....well, maybe not TOO good. I'm busting Weber's ass to get his "street" bike ready in time. This summer is already starting to fly by, and we need to be ready for Barber. It's no fun sorting a bike in the trailer on the way down.

Thanks again for yours' and Bars' hospitality at Mosport, that was fun.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:16 pm 

I think you're right, Bill. I suspect that we'll see a good dozen or so TT1s and F1s in that class - maybe more if the idea catches some momentum..

..and thank you for letting me raid your fastener stash.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:08 am 

It was Show-up, Shut-up and Ride at Calabogie earlier this week and that meant that the Yellow Bike had to pass a 98db noise restriction. We put together a 18" x 6" can that had a perf core tapering from the reverse cone 3" outlet to a 2" outlet on the can and came in at 96db (frankly, a good bit of the noise was clutch and intake). Seat-of-the-pants indicated an increase in torque and (unfortunately) and drop in peak HP. Good news is that we can likely pass the sound check with a straight 3" perf core - bad news is that an excessive off-throttle, high rpm ringing sound (like a really loose two-stroke) turned into a clattering sound, so I parked the bike and rode the BMW all day yesterday.

Inspection under the rocker covers last night didn't turn up anything obvious, so I'll start digging deeper tonight..
Attachment:
FR3_5786muff.JPG
FR3_5786muff.JPG [ 445.56 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]
Attachment:
FR3_4855.JPG
FR3_4855.JPG [ 5.04 MiB | Viewed 1310 times ]
Attachment:
FR3_4200.JPG
FR3_4200.JPG [ 4.65 MiB | Viewed 1310 times ]
Attachment:
FR3_4851.JPG
FR3_4851.JPG [ 4.84 MiB | Viewed 1310 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 pm 

Sorry to hear that Steve. Sad to lose a good day on the track. Any warranty on that bike? MikeV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next