DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sports valves on a Marzocchi fork
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:41 pm 

I have just received from Glyn Robinson (Sports Motorcycles in New Zealand) a valves kit to transform my Marzocchi 38mm non adjustable fork into a fork that can be adjusted for damping and rebound.

When you order a complete valves kit, you also get an adjusting tool plus new fork caps with a small plug on their top to let the adjusting tool enter the fork tubes. The adjusting tool is a double action tool. One handle serves to adjust the damping and the other handle serves to adjust the rebound.

I will provide a photo in a message to follow.

I will report on the installation of those valves. If they work well, it will be a very nice way to upgrade the non adjustable Marzocchi fork instead of replacing it.

Gilles Lachance

Post subject: Re: Sports valves on a Marzocchi fork
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:07 pm 

Here are the photos.

Attachments:
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 2309 times ]
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2309 times ]
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 2309 times ]
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 pm 

no matter what you do in de compression and rebound damping the Marzocchi forks still have a lot of stick slip . just modify the sliders and stancions to accept Kayaba sliding bushings . i found a guy that can hone the sliders to 39 mm for the bushings .
machine the top of the sliders for the top bushing .

Eldert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:20 pm 

On July 2 and 3, I rode my F1 for the first time, after the installation of Sports Valves, at the Calabogie, Ontario race track during a track week-end organized by the Ducati owners Club of Canada (DOCC).

I can testify that the Sports Valves installed in my Marzocchi 38mm fork performed very well.

For the fitment of these valves, I had to machine on a lathe 2 spacers for each fork tube. One to be installed below the valve and the other to be seated on the valve. These 2 spacers became necessary because the Marzocchi 38mm spring is not large enough to seat directly on the Valve without making obstruction to the oil flow.

I discussed the necessity and the dimensions of these spacers with Glyn Robinson and he recognized their necessity for this particular fork.

Here are some photos to give you an idea. My Marzocchi 38mm fork is now fully adjustable, for rebound and damping, by simply introducing the tool made by Glyn via the small hole on the top cap. Adjusting the fork takes only a few minutes and no oil is lost.

Those interested to get the dimensions of the two spacers I made can send me a private message.

Attachments:
IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG [ 880.47 KiB | Viewed 2136 times ]
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]
IMG_2479.JPG
IMG_2479.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 am 

Thanks for the report Gilles. I keep forgetting that Glyn has them now. MikeV

PS: got any overall pictures of the bike we can see?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:47 am 

Thanks for the write up Gilles.
These 38mm Marzocchi's employ a very peculiar design of damper rod. This creates more modifications for my valves to work correctly. Gilles purchased his valves from me a few months ago. Since then I have developed a replacement 38mm damper rod kit designed specifically for use the Sports valves. A turn key solution, and they are now for sale on the Sports m/c's website.

Additionally, I have made a conversion damper rod kit for the 40mm Marzocchi's and the 41.7 M1R's. Reason being they are both fitted with a compression damper tube, stick, thingy, in one leg (which doesn't actually do anything), and a rebound damper tube in the other leg (which doesn't work at all well either). My conversion kit comprises of a damper rod to suit the valves as a replacement for the compression leg, and additional parts to adapt the rod on the rebound leg.
I really don't know what on earth they were thinking when they designed the M1R's. It's like they had two fella's sat at drawing boards in different buildings unable to communicate. There you go fella's - one leg each, get on with it. Even the two stanchions are 30mm different in length !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:34 am 

Here are 3 photos to show you how it looks like. One of these photos show how the adjusting tool goes into the fork tube. It is a two into one tool. One handle adjust the damping and the other one adjust the rebound. You hold one handle while you turn the other.

As you can see, Glyn offering makes a very neat installation.

Gilles

Attachments:
IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 2011 times ]
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 2011 times ]
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 2011 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:46 am 

Thanks Gilles. Beautiful work. I was hoping for a full sideview fold-out of your bike, but you are busy there. MikeV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:58 am 

I will show you a photo of my F1 when the sun comes back.

My next move will be the installation of Sauro Collini left side cover (reproducing the works bikes of 1985-1986) plus an Elektronic Sachse ignition system with pick-up plate on the camshaft driving shaft on the left side of the engine.

The Sachse system offers 8 different advance curves plus 2 shut-off options at high rev.

Gilles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:09 pm 

I would even request "special notice" when you get to that Gilles. Have you bought the ignition unit yet? You can probably communicate better with Sauro than I can since my Italian Is mostly limited to bike parts, and using a translation program. Now I sound like Carlo, who does a good job with English.

Guess what? If you cannot tell, it has been raining for three days here in Oregon. Surprise!