DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motor build for "Yellow Bike III"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 am 

Nice, that Steve. Really like the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm 

Those are nice looking aluminum parts there, Steve. The electrical box is especially neat if you look real close. I am getting confused about "the yellow bike" though. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

Hi Steve,
That is a handy looking engine stand you have there, what are the dimentions please?
Cheers,
Mike

PS - nice project, 'envy your skills!

Last edited by athleticroman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 am 

Thanks for the compliments, guys..

Hey, Dick - Palmer gets the credit for the seat - I agree; really nice design..

Mike - The stand (box) is made from 2x4s cut to 11 1/2" lengths and screwed together so the inner dimension are 8 1/2 x 12" and is really handy for stabilizing the motor..

MikeV - That's OK - I'm confused too. Seriously, the Yellow Bike III is being built for a customer in Australia (Basil) who contacted me back in the fall. He's flying over in July to take delivery and ride it at the Ducati Owners' Club event at Mosport - and then we'll ship it to OZ. My friend Bar Hodgson has Yellow Bike I and will have it at Mosport too and Palmer has YBII (and might join us as well in July). Remarkably, I don't have a Yellow Bike of my own; a problem I hope to address in 2014.

I'm really curious to see how this one comes out and what the motor Palmer's putting together gives us.

Yellow Bike I & II at Grattan.. http://loudbike.blogs.com/loud_bike/2011/08/1988_ducati_750_f1.html

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 am 

Mike V. here is a picture of the original "yellow bike" and it was yellow for it's 10 years racing in CCS.

Palmer

Attachments:
Race F1 001.jpg
Race F1 001.jpg [ 4.47 MiB | Viewed 1809 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 am 

Thanks Gary. I will add it to my collection. We need more engine build news. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm 

Ok, more engine building. Today we'll talk a little more about the slipper clutch install on the late model small case motor (1999 and newer 750 and 800 motors). The transmission input shafts are short in comparision to the 900 motors so you need to make a special clutch retaining nut that will hold the clutch on and also the spring for the slipper. You will also have to spend a little time spacing everything so nothing rubs when tighten down. For this motor I had to add a .040" thick shim in addition to the standard transmission primary gear to get it spaced far enough through the clutch cover so the clutch basket would turn. Also I had to remove the washer for the shift drum detent and grind the spring slightly. Some clutch baskets I have had to machine for clearence. The slipper clutch center hub has to be machined to expose more threads for the special nut and the spring retaining washer had to be machined to also fit on the special nut. It does take a little time to get everything to line up, but once done you shouldn't have any issues. For the push rod seal I used one out of my Ducati seal bag so I don't have a part number for it and I just made an aluminum retainer to screw into the other end of the special nut. Attached are some pictures that may help.

Palmer

Attachments:
DSCN9733.JPG
DSCN9733.JPG [ 4.39 MiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
DSCN9736.JPG
DSCN9736.JPG [ 4.3 MiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
DSCN9740.JPG
DSCN9740.JPG [ 4 MiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
DSCN9739.JPG
DSCN9739.JPG [ 4.1 MiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

Spent yesterday at the dyno with the DB1 racer and the Yellow Bike III - and Palmer knocked the ball out of the park with a best pull of 103 (that's right, 103) RWHP and 67ftlbs torque. And it's a really happy motor that sounds outrageously nice. Air/fuel was just about perfect at top revs with a 270 main... This thing will be a blast to ride - Yellow Bike I was seriously quick with 92RWHP and 62ftlbs torque, so this one will be even more fun. Congratulations, Palmer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sDPC5bvg8&feature=youtu.be

Now I can strip the bike and send the fork lowers, caliper adapters, clip-ons, triples, rear sets, rear caliper mount and fairing brackets out for polishing and paint the battery and breather boxes while I wait for the bodywork. The fasteners should start arriving next week.

The Bimota DB1 made 93RWHP (790 kit & converted heads with Monty cams), but that's another story..

Attachments:
YellowBike III Dyno.jpeg
YellowBike III Dyno.jpeg [ 2.55 MiB | Viewed 1558 times ]
Yellow Bike III Ducati 750 F1.JPG
Yellow Bike III Ducati 750 F1.JPG [ 2.97 MiB | Viewed 1558 times ]
Yellow Bike III Ducati 750 F1 Racer.JPG
Yellow Bike III Ducati 750 F1 Racer.JPG [ 2.8 MiB | Viewed 1558 times ]
DSC08436.JPG
DSC08436.JPG [ 3.16 MiB | Viewed 1558 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 am 

they're some pretty serious heads. what's been done to them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 pm 

Hey, Brad: They're converted Ally heads that we do through a CNC outfit in Montreal. Cranky Roller (Weber) got us pointed in the right direction given his experience converting the Ally heads to bigger valve/small plug - and the CNC shop did the rest. He does a ton of welding and then runs 11 CNC operations to the heads and the result is a sort of semi-bathtub with standard F1B valve sizes. I think what's working here is more port velocity that normal 'cause the starting point (Ally) and the end game (NCR #7s) made the guy work around some constraints that kept the port and valve sizes smaller than he normally would go. Whatever the case; that's 3 for 3 with these heads - The 750cc TT1 (NCR #7s) made 88 rwhp, the 790cc DB1 motor (Monty cams) made 93 and the 840cc motor Palmer built made 100+. Palmer went 1mm over on valve sizes and we used ST2 cams to your timing specification. Mikuni Pro-series 41s and Weber TT primaries dumping directly into an NCR replica open megga. I just kept throwing bigger mains at it and was shocked that it took a 280 to get 12.4:1 at top rpm.

Nice torque on all 3 motors as well. I was surprised that the DB1 motor really responded well to the open NCR replica system. The baffled Weber pipe worked well, but the motor pulled harder for longer with the open system.

I could have spent far more time on the dyno on each bike and improved the results, but the A/F was safe and the numbers were good enough for me.

Too bad you're on the other side of the planet... There's much more to be learned about these heads and tuning these old-school motors, but I get too impatient to really dig in and spend more time dyno'ing and documenting.

I'll post some more charts with the A/F scale when I have a chance to scan 'em.

If anyone wants a set of big plug heads converted, or F1 heads ported to the same spec we've been using, just send me a PM.

Pics of the TT1 heads below:

Attachments:
Intake V2.JPG
Intake V2.JPG [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 1491 times ]
Exhaust V2.JPG
Exhaust V2.JPG [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 1491 times ]
Exhaust V1.JPG
Exhaust V1.JPG [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 1491 times ]
Chamber V.JPG
Chamber V.JPG [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 1491 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next