DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I guess I need a coil change...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 am 

I would have to ask Dyna Tech Support about that.
http://dynaonline.com/contact/contact-us.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am 

Yes, I have sent them a question. Haven't received any feedback, so I posted here as well where the real F1 expertise are gathered.

What spark plug gap can i use with the Dynatek?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am 

I've always just used .7mm on plugs for Pantahs and Bevels regardless of coils, but again, I'm no electrician.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 pm 

Hey Tutu...
I've been doing some reading on ballast resistors and here's my take on them. Ballast resistors, through a process of heating up and cooling down, keep the coils from drawing too much voltage. Too much voltage equals early failure. Just because a coil is made for a twelve volt system, doesn't automatically mean it can handle twelve volts. I think you will find most coils on bikes that came with ballast resistors are actually rated at nine or ten volts. The question you should maybe asking Dyna is... can these coils handle twelve volts without shortening their lifespan?
Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 pm 

The more I think about it, I don't remember a ballast resistor on any of my bikes I've set up with Dyna coils. I'll guarantee there isn't one on my long time R90s I've resurrected as a street cafe from when I raced it, with all new from scratch wiring. And it has an almost car size 12V battery and a lot of miles with no ballast resistors. I say, mount the the coils up and go ride. Riding season is short in Norway, isn't it?
Bill

Attachments:
IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6157.JPG [ 127.16 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm 

pantah_good wrote:
The more I think about it, I don't remember a ballast resistor on any of my bikes I've set up with Dyna coils. I'll guarantee there isn't one on my long time R90s I've resurrected as a street cafe from when I raced it, with all new from scratch wiring. And it has an almost car size 12V battery and a lot of miles with no ballast resistors. I say, mount the the coils up and go ride. Riding season is short in Norway, isn't it?
Bill

Sheesh Bill.....we must have same illness!! We showed the Commandos previously, now you show this BMW Café.....lets see some more pics, you show me yours and I will show you mine.

Clay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 pm 

This poor thread has been so thoroughly hijacked at this point....but this forum doesn't have a general motorcycle related heading. Ok Clay, here are the latest pictures of my old girl from last year. Since then, I got its old street Koni shocks rebuilt at Ikon and are reinstalled. The seat still needs a decent pad made and painting to go along with its tank that Robbie did up last year. The chassis still shows every one of its 120K miles, but I am NOT taking it down for painting unless I absolutely have to pull the engine for some reason. It has had a lot of work over the years, way too many mods to list, but it is now just for easy fun riding, which is what it has always been really good at. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that I think the R90S is the best all around riding bike ever made in the last 50 years.
Bill

Attachments:
IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG [ 412.5 KiB | Viewed 848 times ]
IMG_20161214_113828684.jpg
IMG_20161214_113828684.jpg [ 4.28 MiB | Viewed 848 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:14 pm 

Hey Tutu,
We cant concentrate on one subject, sorry for getting off track. You are trying to get your bike running and we are out there in lala land. I will stay on track after this.

Bill.......thats super cool, thanx for showing. Here is an old chopped up R80. I havent figured out what I am going to do with it yet. Has a few old krauser and luftmeister pieces on it. Runs so good I havent been motivated to work on it.

Attachments:
20161023_160316.jpg
20161023_160316.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 840 times ]
20161228_120700.jpg
20161228_120700.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 840 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 am 

No problem with the highjacking, I might be tempted to put in a picture of my CB350 racer project... ;)
Your rides remind me of my wife. She looked like a Guzzi when I met her, now she is more like a BMW... 8-)

Bill, the riding season for an old man like me (50+) is getting shorter and shorter... Have a -97 900 SS/SL as my primary bike, so I have something to ride while tinkering with the F1. My first ride this year was in April when it was sunny and +3 Celsius(about 37F). These days the temperature is 22-23 C and its almost to hot 8-). Don't how it is in the US, but here in Norway we have five weeks holiday per year, so i'm soon of to our summer house for three weeks of boating and fishing. I do most riding in spring and autumn. Summers are for boating.. 8-)

Got a reply from Dynatek. They said there was no need to have the ballast when using the DC 10-1 coils, so I will skip them. Regarding plug gap they recommend to start with factory spec and then experiment
with larger openings if I want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

Clay, running good is what our old Boxers are best at. They never had the outright sex appeal of Ducati's, but after you have lived with one for a while, you learn to cut their looks a lot of slack.

Mr Tutu, I wouldn't touch your Guzzi / Beemer metaphor (analogy?) with a ten foot pole, but I'm glad it sounds like your Dyna coil questions are answered. Your weather sounds similar to here in Vermont, and please sneak some CB350 racer photos on before the moderator throws us off.