DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clutch plate id
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 pm 

Greetings,

I was reassembling the F1 clutch and couldn't find any noticeable difference in the unfaced steel plates. The parts book shows a single steel plate (#067516530) and 6 others that have a different part number. I also notice a small dot cast into the driven hub and the numbers 1 and 2 stamped into the release mechanism next to two of the spring retention bolts. There's no reference in the manual. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks,

Gene

Post subject: Re: Clutch plate id
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:58 pm 

Gene.

If it is all together now you probably do not have a problem. The 1 and 2 are meaningless for us, as far as I can tell. The number and thickness of the plates has constantly been changed by Ducati over the decades, and who knows the source of yours --- original or aftermarket. I have stacks of these in all kinds of thickness. What is important is that the clutch stack is about 33.5mm thick, and that about 1/8th inch is visible below the big snap ring when all is bolted together. If I get a big one I put it on the bottom first. The dot on the steel clutch hub lines up with a small raised line on the aluminum "pushing plate" with the six pegs, below it; if not aligned the two parts will simply not mesh. On the wet aluminum hubs there is a small raised line matching the one below. And if you get a set of metal plates with small notches around the outside ---------- ignore them, or arrange them in symmetrical order around the basket to make you feel it is balanced.

MikeV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 am 

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I didn't measure the stack ht. but that's easy enough to do. I ran the bike up and down the street for the first time and the clutch dragged a bit. I pulled it apart and realized that I had the outside plate on the inside of the stack, so I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything else. I'm guessing that will solve the problem with the clutch drag.

Gene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:30 am 

By outside plate do you mean the one with friction material on one side and steel on the other? The steel faces out. MikeV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 am 

Mike,

Yes, I have the steel facing out. I do have one more question - any source for the locking tab for the clutch hub nut - the one I have is nearing it's last rodeo.

Thanks,

Gene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 pm 

ETD wrote:
Mike,

Yes, I have the steel facing out. I do have one more question - any source for the locking tab for the clutch hub nut - the one I have is nearing it's last rodeo.

Thanks,

Gene

Gene,
I have a small pile of shims, gaskets, seals and transmission parts. But I dont know the parts well enough to id by myself. If you send me a good photo or post one I will look.

See ya,
Clay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 pm 

Clay, I will take a picture this eve and post it. Thanks, Gene

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 pm 

Gene.

Yes, those seem scarce now. There is an F1B parts manual on this site, and the same part is used on the 750 Paso and Sport. Maybe Ducati still sells these. I have also used one of these (in photos), called Nord Lock, on both the alternator and clutch. And, Ducati later used the big Bellville washers on the many alternators.

MikeV

Attachment:
mpgTfPcuboCLVs2j_GVaoMg.jpg
mpgTfPcuboCLVs2j_GVaoMg.jpg [ 6.85 KiB | Viewed 1543 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm 

Reviving an old thread since I'm going thru the same now.

how about this for a lock washer? Once piece unit on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastener-014973283834-Washers/dp/B00L1IYTZC/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1515007524&sr=1-3&keywords=lock+washer&refinements=p_11%3A20mm

Attachments:
51Lxce9EIvL._AC_US218_.jpg
51Lxce9EIvL._AC_US218_.jpg [ 10.96 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]