DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake gaskets, substitute?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am 

The fat O-ring on the intake manifold, part number 066092570, and the rubber grommets on the stud bolts, part number 066092620 is not recognised by my local Ducati dealer.
They only have parts and part catalogs for bikes newer than -91. No luck when they looked up my part numbers.

Checked around, and it seems obsolete.

Stein Diense in Germany has one of them, and Ducati Manchester in the UK list both. But the postage is brutal when you want like $5 in parts and they charge $25 in postage to Norway. Besides I want to go riding now during the Easter holiday, not in mid may...

Are there a quick fix you guys use?
Any new numbers my dealer can check from newer bikes etc? Or are this Pantah specific parts ?

My front carburettor&cylinder is running lean, and I suspect some false air from the intake. Old and hard gaskets, so I thought I change them all just in case.
But surprisingly hard to get in my part of the world obviously....

Post subject: Re: Intake gaskets, substitute?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 am 

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-31314-T ... B00ID8IUJY

Hi Desmo Tutu
Using the old fat o-ring you can try to use the above silicone as an additional gasket and fill intake manifold seat with it.
The link is just to show what I mean.
You can find it on car part shop.
Hope this help.
Ciao
Filippo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 am 

Hello Tutu...
I have searched for ever, for those rubber grommets. Never had any luck. I'm thinking of giving these a try. With a little trimming they may work. Inside diameter made to fit over an 8mm stud. There are several sellers on ebay, and some of the caps look like they may have a better plating on them then others? Weber twin carb anti froth/vibration fitting.
Regards...
Flattop

Attachments:
intake grommet.jpg
intake grommet.jpg [ 105.89 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]
intake fitting.jpg
intake fitting.jpg [ 67.78 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]
carb intake fittings.jpg
carb intake fittings.jpg [ 134.67 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am 

You might try a industrial supply/ bearing store for the fat o rings It's a really good bet they are a common size with many applications. Many places can make up o rings using the right diameter rubber cordage and gluing the ends together. As for the rubber grommets with the washer, Many Japanese auto engines use similar seals on their valve cover hold down studs. Off the top of my head, the Toyota 22R engines had 8mm studs and I think the S2000 Honda or the late Accord V6 used a suitable grommet. It's worth a look at least.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 am 

Quote:
Many places can make up o rings using the right diameter rubber cordage and gluing the ends together

As engineer on board of a harbour-tug, we make those o-rings in house. Some are more than 2 feet in diameter soholding stock isn'tn Always easy.
Having a roll and a tube of glue is common.
It could take a bit of experimenting with thickness but as long as the o-ring presses hard against the outside of the groove, pretty much nothing can go wrong.
You could argue about the necessity of that setup but I never had any trouble with rigid mounted intakes. Just that bit easier to make the bends blend and when they are tight, they are tight. Of course I never had to endure citytraffic with a racebike :lol: :lol:

ciao
ducadini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm 

Hi Desmo Tutu - Saw your query regarding flex mounts for Pantah intake manifolds. The encapsulated types shown are made by Misab (Swedish) - have a look at their web site. Normally they make for Weber DCOE 40 - 48 size. These may be too large for the Pantah manifolds but the 8mm/5/16" flexible rubber stud washer kits would fit! I know this because I use this type for the twin Webers on my Lotus Elan and they work fine. You should be able to get suitably sized "O" rings from your local Bearing Supplier - easy if you have a pattern. Try to get "Viton" material as it resists ethanol in your fuel - good luck - Richie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 am 

I have seen them for sale but as you say the postage is a killer - $25 is cheap compared to what we sometimes have to pay to get a part sent to Australia. Doesn't help but I suggest you'll spend more time doing a bodge for questionable results than the $25 for the part. Who said the global economy made things cheaper??????