DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: forcella italia fork rebuild
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

Yes, a litre of oil AND a litre of Carlo's Chianti.

I used 10W Motorex Racing in my street F1 and 15W in my track TT. Same forks.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 pm 

So how are we going selling the 500 pieces? I will take half a dozen, who else is buying? What about Loud Bikes buying a lot?

I am finally cominmg home at the end of the month and will start the process of building up my F1 with all of the lovely parts about to be shipped by Steve as well as all others hoarded to date.
The fork seals is the achilles heal in this build.

Sumfun4me wrote:
I took a sample seal to a couple of seal manufacturers here in Perth, WA to see if they could make some reproductions. It turns out that they can, but the best price I gould get was $8.00 a piece (not bad in itself, but there's a minimum order of 500 units) :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:17 am 

There's more than one seal maker in the world?
A&B Seals in Brisbane "estimated" $45 per seal for a lot of 50, but he needed a sample which I don't have to give him.
There must be heaps of other small volume specialty seal makers?

Graeme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:30 am 

pantah_good wrote:
Yes, a litre of oil AND a litre of Carlo's Chianti.

I used 10W Motorex Racing in my street F1 and 15W in my track TT. Same forks.

Bill

Hello Friends, you must excuse me, I always joking, now I'll be very serious.

I believe that the best way to change the fork oil is to calculate the air chamber, as our friend said.

If you consider all the fork down, and remove the spring, you just measure with a metal rule using a small flashlight, you just touch the oil with the ends of the metal rule the oil moves automatically and you can not go wrong with no.

This solution is very useful when you want to change the oil without removing the sleeve from steel rod, if you measure from the top of the rod, the oil will always be accurate.

If you have built the fork seals, I'd take it a bit of kit.

Also I do not mind.

Hello Friends.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 pm 

I would like to report back to the forum having tested the combination of 10W Motorex Racing and Carlo's Chianti;

To be more scientific about the test we decided that rather than add the full litre in one go, we would add Carlo's Chianti incrementally (one glass at a time) and record the handling result. Below is what we discovered:

10w Motorex + 1 glass of Chianti: No appreciable change in handling noticed by our test rider or track sideobservers, but rider reported that he "felt warm and fuzzy" about the setting.

10w Motorex + 2 glasses of Chianti: Rider reports a greater confidence in the bike handling and says his optimism has increased, lap times remain about the same. Rider requests plate of cheese and biscuits.

10w Motorex + 3 glasses of Chianti:
Rider confidence in handling still increasing, but observers report that the bike is tending to "wander" a bit on the road. Rider confirms that he may have noticed the same but is unsure. Wind could be a factor to cause the "wander" and this may have caused to the drop in lap times?

10w Motorex + 4 glasses of Chianti: Slowest lap times recorded with this setting. Strangely this is this setting our test rider felt "happiest" about, even though our track side observers reported that the bike weaved dramatically down the straights and understeered hopelessly into the corners cutting off other riders testing at the circuit.

Conclusion:

I know what you are all thinking! We should not have introduced the cheese and biscuits as another variable into the test! And I agree. Clearly lap-times dropped after adding the cheese and biscuits, so this could be a factor in bringing down the lap-times and 3rd and 4th glasses of Chianti may have had little impact?

Certainly our results conclude that 1 to 2 glasses of Chianti won't hurt handling but the results don't say it improves handling any either. 3 to 4 glasses and/or the cheese and biscuits did affect lap-times negatively.

Our test riders feedback (after a mid afternoon snooze and some reflection) was, and I quote;

"At 4 glasses of Chianti, the F1 handled very much the same as a GP12, the front was very uncertain going into corners and although I was feeling very happy at the time, upon reflection, this was false, my confidence and trust in the bike had evaporated and my lap-times dropped accordingly"

:o :o Could we have inadvertently have stumbled upon the REAL cause of the handling issues of Rossi's Ducati? Is Jerry Burgess adding too much of Carlo's Chianti to the GP12? OR, is it the cheese and biscuits? :!: :!:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 pm 

+1 for cheese and biscuits. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 pm 

Oh c'mon now Mike, everbody knows that 1 test with 1 bike & rider is hardly conclusive. I say that a track day should be booked & (using your test as the control), we need to replicate the test with at least 20 rider / bikes to get a satisfactory result. Do you reckon any of the track authorities would be up for this little project?
Hey - we may even be able to get some funding from Ducati for this one (or at least they might supply the Chianti, cheese & biscuits)!

Disclaimer: this forum member does not endorse, promote or approve of the consumption of alcohol when riding or driving (now that would just be wrong).

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:36 pm 

Hi All,

Reviving an older thread but I figured someone would be interested.

I did Bill's fork seal fix and can confirm it works. Be careful cutting the the wiper off the old seal, as I got a little too zealous, but nothing some silicon couldn't fix and it's under the seal cup and invisible anyway. I've put about 150 km on F1 since and it's not leaking. A little stiff but that's because I put 10w oil in the forks and probably should have put 5w!

I hope this helps everyone else dealing with leaky Forcella seals.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm 

Thank you very much Chris, that's good to hear. I never got a chance to ride my F1 with that seal fix before selling it to finance the "Garage Find" F1 based racer. That bike needs fork seals, so I'll do it again. I appreciate your post.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm 

OK, so who knows a good workshop in Australia who could do the Bill Fork Fix for me? :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next