DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Returning her to stock
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 am 

You're correct Graeme. It is my understanding that Ian did a deal with Ducati whilst they were under administration & picked up all of their old stock parts. In fact, I believe it also extended to many of the (then) suppliers to Ducati, including Dellorto & Marzocchi.
Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 am 

Dukerdr wrote:
Wow, I didn't think any N.O.S. pipes for the F1 series were left laying around.

Wonder why it's bare, not black chromed?

The header that was on my bike appears to have been bare metal originally as there is no sign of any black finish anywhere on it.

I did end up "winning" the auction and am looking forward to receiving the part sometime in the next couple of weeks. I haven't been willing to ride her too much with the cracked header so having a new part will be a timely addition for Spring!

-tj in los gatos
http://www.gearheadexchange.net

1992 900SS
1991 851
1987 F1
1966 Mach 1 Replica
1957 Alfa Romeo 1900C SS
1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Veloce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 pm 

I'm happy to report that my F1 is now sporting a new exhaust header and is running much better. The NOS part from Gowanloch fit perfectly and the entire job was quick and easy. No more backfiring on closed throttle and she sounds beautiful with a healthy and crack free header. I even had a little time to go for a quick ride and as always remembered why I love this motorcycle so much. Of course I love all my Ducatis, but the F1 is the perfect blend of modern and vintage character. It's fun, something that I don't think can really be said of the 916, which despite its incredible performance is very serious, and really has too much power to be ridden on the street if you want to keep your license. I've said it before but it's interesting that the F1 feels more like my MachOne than my 851, despite being only four years removed from the latter. Riding this motorcycle reminds you of what the term "Italian character" used to mean. Having read the review of the new Panigale in Cycle World I was reminded of the design focus of Ducatis prior to about 1995. Visibility of dash lights, ergonomic switches, comfortable riding positions, instantly tractable power, and fit and finish all took a back seat to one thing; handling. And the handling of the F1 is telepathic. There's enough power to have fun with, but on the street you can ride it at 75% and have fun, which is not something you can do with most modern superbikes. Even the 916, aged and in retirement as she is, still has way more power than can be legally or safely used on public roads.

When I originally got the F1 I figured I'd restore it some day, but I don't think I'll ever do that. I love the patina that she carries and after all, they're only original once.

Ciao!
-tj in los gatos

1992 900SS
1991 851
1987 F1
1966 Mach 1 Replica
1957 Alfa Romeo 1900C SS
1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Veloce