DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F1 Crankcases
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 am 

Hello All,

new poster here! I'm currently restoring a DB1 but unfortunately the crankcases have been badly damaged (it looks like the chain had let go and they've been rewelded). As F1 cases are like hen's teeth, there seem to be several possibilities for replacement. Firstly, to use Paso cases, but the swinging arm pivot is different -has anyone done this mod? Secondly, later 750 cases-did the, say 1990, cases still use the bushes instead of needle rollers for the swinging arm bearings or were they changed sooner? Thirdly, something I haven't thought of yet!

Cheers, MikeJ

P.S with the Paso cases, the alloy plugs in the cranbkcases will press out and O/S bushes could be made, along with welded on rings to hold the oil seals and restore width, which is what I'm considering at the moment.

Post subject: Re: F1 Crankcases
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am 

Hi Mike The Paso coversion can be done. As yuo know the back is narrowed from the F1. Ive seen just spacers along with machined in seal cavities but like your appoach even if it means welding for the added width/support. Cases up to 1990 (sport) (and very limited 1991 SS) are identical and can be swapped in but be careful to add the oil restrictor feeding the internal passages to the heads (not there is the sport block).
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 am 

Gawd Bless you Guv'nor! :D

Cheers, MikeJ.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:10 pm 

Gawd Bless you Guv'nor! :D

Cheers, MikeJ.

P.S. Oops! not sure why this came up twice, still getting used to posting!

Last edited by MikeJ on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm 

Hello again Cranky,

could you please give me the gen. on the oil feed restrictor ? - do you need to do it on the Paso? and if it needs doing on the Sport what's actually involved?

Thanks, MikeJ.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm 

Hello MikeJ The paso should all ready have the restrictor. The Sport that has the oil cooled cylinders does not. Here is a copy of an early post from F1 tech.
A concern when doing the coversion is internal oil supply to the heads.
The older motors with air cooled fins (up to1988) had an oil restictor just above the oil filter in the passage up to the heads. Next time you change oil and have the filter off take a look up the center adapter and youll see it. 1989 on and the oil cooled cylinders came along. This restictor dowel was omitted and a restrictor style dowel was installed between the head and barrrel. When fitting a later lower to an earlier upper that has to be taken into account ie oil cooled or air cooled. This can all be bypassed by external feed lines to each head with each receiving a 1.25mm restrictor at the cam block. The oil style barrels wont work this way as they are fed from the internal supply passage.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 am 

Thanks again for the info., the original engine had a separate feed to the cams so I'll check that out as well,

Cheers, MikeJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 am 

This post is gold to me, Cranky. I have looked at those cylinder locating/oil galley dowels with puzzlement (and concern) for some time. I will be looking at my engine blocks closely now. Thanks so much, MikeV