DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: TT F1 Endurance replica
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm 

Ours easily fits THE 851 wheels we use with 180 rear so his will also (or R6 wheel)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:38 pm 

geo7863 wrote:
jaydeetz wrote:
TT1-F1 wrote:
That is some very nice work on the swingarm, it is really close to the original.
As it stands right next to my computer!

Jarno

Cheers Jarno.

We have to have some artistic license, so it would never be an exact copy..but near enough :D

Looks effing good mate! I take it it is for the standard Ducati SS/888/851/Monster type 3 spoke 5.5 x 17 rear wheel, with the standard 520 chain sprocket carrier and brake caliper carrier..for the width dimensions? if so gimme gimme gimme :D

The width is 240mm, I dont know what the standard Ducati wheel requirements are I'm afraid.

The R6 wheel will go in as we have tried it, but 10mm needs to be machined off the cush to get it central in the swingarm...from rough rack o eye measurements...in any case, it can be made to fit, the disc side is fine though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 am 

Well not much progress lately as works been kinda busy, but I picked up a front Dymag wheel and tried some 16.5" x 5.75" wheels in but a 190/ 420 is a bit too wide, so I will use 17 x 5.5 as the original plan.
The forks are in and when fully compressed there is 10mm gap from the tyre to the head, close but its what was on the drawing so we got the frame spot on. Result ! I need to get some 9.0 or 9.5 springs in the forks and re-valve them, but we know what works in these R6 forks so we have all the shim stack specs.

Head angle with 115mm fork travel before it hits the underneath of the triple clamp is a racey 23 degrees, thats with the swingarm at 10 degree angle, but it should be a good base setting. Peg mounts are on, and although there is no seat, it feels really nice a little more roomy that the RG...but christ, these F1 things are thin arent they !!! Felt like sitting on a BMX :D

Dad has started on the tank and last night we were finishing off the top and bottom halves, last week I machined up some clip ons as I usually make em out of steel and I wanted something different, also a steering damper fork mount and a petrol cap..in fact I went into work this morning to mill out the cap and complete it. I spent a bit of time on this, as I thought I would make a trick one, it took about 4 hours in total to complete and I made it up as I went along really, which is probably why no dimension is on a round number, but it looks good.

We picked up a broken F1 fairing off a friend, so last night when Dad was bashing the tank I was repairing the fairing that so we can make a mould from it - its actually in two pieces as he crashed at Brands Hatch with it. The ones you can buy seem quite high where the side of the screen goes making the bike look quite tall, so we are going to make it lower to look like the works bikes a little bit more.
The seat...I am not paying nearly £200 for a seat, thats ridiculous so we are to make our own. They seem quite easy anyway, with no real compound curves.

I have decided to go with ST2 cams....and begrudgingly, we are allowed to use the newer cylinder head....so its cheaper for me to have the exhaust coming out of the back. So thats what we may do to get the bike up and running and hunt round for another Horizontal ST2 cam later on and convert to Pantah spec, I am running out of cash and cams are rare without having to buy an engine just for one part.

I will get some pics of the bike this weekend, with wheels and tank....its looking smart !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:26 pm 

Just a few pics from todays work...
Managed to get the broken fairing together and plonked it on to get a lie of the land so to speak. It needs to be rotated higher at the back as it sits too flat.
Now just need to make the bits that are missing, namely the right hand side screen piece is totally gone and a bit of the other side. Then rienforce it all and that will be our buck for the mould.
The seat will require alittle more work, so will have to get some aloy mesh, or make a wooden buck as I havent decided yet and will come to it when I get to it I suppose.

Hey Dad, have you finished the tank...??

Oh, not welded it together, ha ha.
We put a baffle inside to stop the fuel from sloshing around and we started to make the top breather tank but will weld it on tomorrow. We have an R6 fuel tap that we will use, nice and neat and easy to use and it should flow enough fuel for the twin cylinder....we hope.

But, its looking mean without its bodywork on !!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:59 pm 

Totally intrigued with this build Jaydeetz keep up the good work
old blue

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 pm 

Cheers Oldblue !

Tonight we finished the tank off, we had made a breather tank for the top but we are worried about it distorting the top of the tank when we weld it, so we will leave it off and just have a tube with a one-way valve in it instead. Not how it was, but so be it.

I also repaired the top fairing and added the missing pieces and chopped out an inch above the oil cooler holes so the top bit above sits lower and is now smaller than it was. Looking from the side, it does look a lot like the works bikes now and less like a road F1 fairing I suppose. Just to fill it, reshape slightly and sand it down and add some integral scoops in the sides for the rear head cooling ducts - we were going to add some alloy scoops like they had, but it looks a bit rough !
We wont use hoover tube but will mould some sections in the side which will be be directed to the cylinder head....might do these in carbon too, just for extra trickness !

Will post more pics when we have something decent to show !!

Ciao

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:13 pm 

Not done much lately, I went out on Friday night...needless to say Saturday was written off completely. Bonus wise, I managed to get a date for next Saturday although how I did it remains a mystery as I cant remember !

The tank is done, bar mounting my cap on. We made it slide under the rear cross bar and it will be held with a rubber strap at the front. We made it slightly different to how it was, a bit higher in the back and the seat line will match it so it will look OK without looking like a weights been dropped in the middle of the bike.

The fairing is coming along nicely, after this pic was taken I was filling the front up with filler so we can sand it all down.

I am picking up a complete ST2 engine this week, for the cylinders, clutch and cams and Dad will use the crank for his 750 motor, I will also be picking up another 900SS rear head.

TM41 carbs have been purchased from the states, along with some Omega +2mm hi-comp pistons which must be the bargain of the century, they are brand new and I got them for £60 off ebay. All whats left for the motor, trick-bits wise are the Carrillo rods but I am tempted to buy a 748/ 916 gearbox for a closer ratio set...but will probably just see how it goes first.

Once we get the rear head we can start fabbing the exhaust system which will be 45mm out of the head tapering to 50mm over 150mm and then into 2-1 joining at 22" header lenght then going to 60mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:41 am 

Been doing the pipes this week, whilst Dad has started porting the heads and making the short inlet manifolds to match the TM41 carbs, the front being at 30 degree angle. He raised the port and will fill the floor, the port has been raised enough to break out into the top of the head so needed filling.

The pipes are turning into a bit of a 'mare, lot of head scratching. Well not really a nightmare, just lots of figuring out where the rear one should go. Turns out we had to go between the swingram shock bars and its ovalized slightly to fit between with the slip joing in there too and its tight for space especially with the underbracing, so its turned into a bit of a curly wurly but it all clears with the full swingarm movement (just) so should be fine. The front pipe is dead easy and meets the rear at the Y piece at about 25", bit longer than we hoped but we are stuck with the space constraints.

Rear lower mounting boss on the engine was in the way for the pipe, so we cut it off and I will machine it neater when we pull the motor..will save some weight too I suppose and its not needed for anything anyway.

Should get it all finished by this week as I got the Y piece welded on, just need to make it a slip connection to teh front pipe which needs finishing off and final tweaks (read more cutting, welding and rounding), need to make a silencer for it next.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:10 am 

Well I dont have much to show, but we have started making the buck for the seat...we actually made it from cardboard to get the shape spot on, coated it with resin to make it hard and this weekend we will fill it, sand it and make a mould from it. It looks pretty good and with the fairing on its starting to look like a proper bike.

We are missing the bellypan and this is where it gets hard due to the double and triple compound curvature but we have a friend who is lending us a bellypan mould from a Bimota that we can use just to get us started.

Countdown is starting...first race is Mallory Park, back end of April....tall order but we should be able to do it.

As a fun bit of detailing, I got Tech Publications here at work to make me a Veglia Borletti replica face for my 916 rev counter..its come out quite good as the designer is a classic car fanatic and he even desigend all the fonts to make sure it was correct. Its is a nod in the direction of how they were and I know its not a 360 degree sweep, but hey ho, however £15 for a 916 rev counter or £250 for a Berletti...I wont be too bothered about it really.
I need to make the needle black, but other than that it doesnt look too bad I suppose. I can use the original oil light as a power ON indicator and the red shift light LED will go just above where it says Veglia..all contained in one unit.

I have this as a pdf if anyone want a copy !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 pm 

I would love a copy!

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next