DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: TT F1 Endurance replica
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 am 

Mallory park, final round of the ThundersportGB season.

This is my last meeting of the season and to be honest I am glad for it because there is so much work to do on the bike and riding it as is is becoming a little hard, especially in the Nationals...Club racing at Aintree is easy compared to these races and its going to get harder as next year there will be a few more bikes on the grid and with ex-wsb heritage too. Despite being a decent bike for what it is, its missing an extra 2 valves per head and water cooling.....but having said I would much rather race it in this series than a Classic series.

Friday PM
Turned up for Friday afternoon qualifying only as we werent doing the morning practice sessions...I had doubts whether I should go but there was still some work to do on the bike so it was impossible to set off that early - plus Dad was having a delivery of slates for the new workshop roof Friday AM anyway. We got there at 2pm to a full to bursting paddock and as I needed some new tyres I went off to get some as soon as we unloaded the bike. As luck would have it the Aprilia 450 Cup team next to us were chucking some Bridgestone R10 tyres away so they gave them to me, I stuck them on and qualified in 3rd on the grid behind an RSVR and a VTR SP2 - awesome, ha ha.
Its the first time Ive tried these tyres and I thought they were good, the front is more pointy than Pirellis so the steering is quicker, but to be honest I couldnt really tell that much difference in grip...but I am not so used to the bike yet anyway so I cant really comment in much detail.

Race 1 Saturday
Was in 5th place but the clutch started to slip badly so had to pull out. Turned out the clutch actuator rod seal had gone which was contaminating the already worn out clutch plates, so we sorted that out and put in some new (old) plates that a 1098 team had, just to be sure. Its sounding like a scrounging weekend...

Race 2 Saturday
Battling for 4th, finished 5th. The speed difference between my bike and the Aprilia 1000's and 750 IL4's is starting to become apparent now :-(
Brakes need sorting out as I didnt have the stopping power so I bought (yes bought) some new Performance Friction race pads.
Whats started out as the theory of it should go round corners and stop quicker isnt really coming to fruition as they can hold you up mid corner and they arent bad on the brakes either....

Race 3 Sunday
5th, the back tyre (which was free) had gone off, causing some serious slides around the 100mph Gerrards corner which we later realized was because the tyre was too soft and it was ripping up - or more than likely, the team was throwing it away cos it was knackered. I splashed out on a new harder back tyre from Bridgestone.

Race 4 Sunday
Was in the leading group of 5 and made my way up to 3rd place and everyting was OK-ish. It was running wide round Gerrards and I couldnt pull a tight line so lost around 5 bike lenghts and a lad snuck up the inside, either its the front tyre or geometry...nevertheless I was enjoying it and the new brakes were awesome. Lap 8 and i went into Gerrards and the clutch lever was solid, its happened before and the clutch retaining nut had come loose despite a new nut and new locking washer??!! So I had to pull out, gutted.
Managed a 56.1 second lap though, I am sure if it wasnt running wide I could do a mid 55 but we'll not know till next year.
As a comparison the quickest Elite 600 class are doing mid 52, the quickest lap in my races was 55 second....not that far off....but too far off if you know what I mean.

Winter Preperation and mods
As it stands now, its not a bad bike and there is so much potential.....to a point.

We go into the off season with some ideas, we need to get it on a dyno to find out what power it is giving. If its shows 90hp, then I will be happy because it means I can find more...but if its more like 100, then I am stuck with what I have. I dont want to go much higher than 105 and sacrifice reliability. One thing that we can do is bore out the carbs to 41mm and maybe give it some more advance, plus we can play around with the cam timing but I need to buy some adjustable pulleys or make some offset keys.

I need make some new shorter offset yokes to get it to hold a better line.
Need a new clutch pack, so might as well buy a slipper clutch for it.
Get a working rev counter.
Get the quick shifter up and running.
Paint the fairing.
Maybe a new tank with an extended back and wider sides as I have no where to rest my arms in the corners (just something I noticed).
Try a 2-2 exhaust system with one silencer in the seat and one at the side, 2-1 on a 90 degree v twin....hmm, the phase is going to be out for the scavengeing to have any effect...anyway, its development at the end of the day so its something to try and if it works weve found something else if not, then...well, thats the fun isnt it?

Roll on 2013 !!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:34 am 

jaydeetz wrote:
...well, thats the fun isnt it?
That is. Sounds like a good first season to me.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 am 

Hello jaydeetz,
Thanks for the build story and race reports.
If the racing and building bikes gets tiring, you have a calling in writing,,,,(look out Cathcart)
Enjoyed your stories.
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm 

graeme wrote:
Hello jaydeetz,
Thanks for the build story and race reports.
If the racing and building bikes gets tiring, you have a calling in writing,,,,(look out Cathcart)
Enjoyed your stories.
Graeme

Ha ha nice one Graeme, got a C for English...I dont think my grammar is good enough for journalism !

Heres a pic from the weekend...

Ducati F1...beating Gixxers since 2012 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm 

All painted, just the run on the seat needs flatting off and buffing (spraying in 1 degree temps is a nightmare).

Few mods over the winter, TM38 carbs bored to 40mm, new alloy clutch basket and plates, new silencer, re-valved rear shock...a few more things too.

First race in two weeks at Brands Hatch, first round of teh Golden Era Superbike series :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 am 

...................... all the best John !

how much offset do you have on your yokes ?

salut,

Dick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 am 

Dick le Dog wrote:

salut,

Dick

Hi Dick

They are Yamaha R6 yokes and as standard they are 40mm offset...which is a lot. In the pictures above it looks like there is a LOT of offset especially in the top yoke. This is because we have pushed the forks forwards in the top yoke, which pull the wheel backwards...effectively reducing the offset at the wheel contact (which is where it all matters).

Its a quick and dirty way of trying things without making parts first, by using an offset top hat in teh stem nut hole on the top yoke, we can quickly try things trackside.

But, having said all that we are making a set of 30mm yokes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm 

very nice bike, all handmade.......bravo

philippe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:04 am 

jaydeetz wrote:
Dick le Dog wrote:

salut,

Dick

Hi Dick

They are Yamaha R6 yokes and as standard they are 40mm offset...which is a lot. In the pictures above it looks like there is a LOT of offset especially in the top yoke. This is because we have pushed the forks forwards in the top yoke, which pull the wheel backwards...effectively reducing the offset at the wheel contact (which is where it all matters).

Its a quick and dirty way of trying things without making parts first, by using an offset top hat in teh stem nut hole on the top yoke, we can quickly try things trackside.

But, having said all that we are making a set of 30mm yokes.

when you do this, does this bend/twist the forks/triple clamps a little as they are no longer parallel? i've often been curious about how the offsetting of one triple relative to the other effects the way it all bolts up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am 

Yeah it does bend the bottom yoke a little, but you are only moving it slightly.

We used to do this on our R6 years back when we were doing British Supersport, moving it so the actual offset at the wheel was 35mm instead of 40mm to get it to turn and hold its line when leant right over just a little better. In fact, a few teams used to do it. The trick was to machine it so it looked stock and this required a 2mm offset top hat machined into the top yoke. ...there was/ is a lot of cheating going on...or 'bending the rulebook' if you dont like to admit to actually cheating.

But this bike requires 30mm offset, so its a little too much to flex the yoke from 40mm, so we have to make some..which I have now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next