DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: TT F1 Endurance replica
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:43 pm 

Hi all, this is my first post here and its a project post, LOL !

As a bit of background, I got into Post Classic racing when I was asked to ride Quills Moto Guzzi in CRMC, I was doing supermoto at the time (in fact I did both that year) and it was a good way of racing my Dad again on his RG500 in the same race and it was fun backing the Guzzi into corners. One thing led to another and this year I raced Dads RG and was doing pretty well until I got a bit fed up with racing in the Club so I stopped in July despite leading the Championship by I think just over 100 points. Before I stopped I bought a Monster engine to build a TTF1 Factory replica as the RG is a little fragile and not the easiest bike to ride on cold tyres and no wets, which is what we have to do in CRMC and we thought a light Duc would be pretty good, reliable and easier on the first lap. When I stopped I was going to sell the motors back on and go back to modern road racing, luckily a new Classic series was announced for 2012 with another Club and is televised too, so its all systems go again, woohoo !

So we started off by scaling up pictures and doing research on the frames, as everyone knows the basic dimensions of the engines are the same so its all pretty easy and we just had to make sure it all looked right. It turned out only 40mm higher than the RG on the drawings (we made the RG frame as well), which looks about right. We made a frame jig as a couple of people want a kit, and we are using cut down (by 20mm) R6 forks and a re-valved 996 Showa rear shock which we had to cut and re-weld the reservoir to get it in the frame (we may get an Ohlins after testing). As we aren’t running in the CRMC anymore we can now use the 900SS motor, but am undecided whether to reverse the rear head…we have started to re-work one head but I may just buy a normal one and stick that on instead.

Wheels will be Marvic or Dymag, 17” and I will use a 180 rear as there are more compounds available, ignition is Zeeltronic and we will delete the flywheel and use our own pick up rotor…who needs a flywheel anyway, LOL. The rest of the motor will be with all the usual race parts, Pistal pistons and stronger rods, lightened crank etc..slipper clutch too I suppose, but not essential for the first shake down tests.

The swing-arm is a fabricated one, complete with the two ribs as we wanted the detail so I made a press tool and formed the sides by using the 200 tonne press at work..it took 187 tonnes to press it..the 5000 series alloy is tough and strong stuff with the added bonus of self-hardening after welding. We have even got the open underside as original, its not boxed in on the underside so it looks authentic...well ish, I did try and get some extrusion so we could make it exactly as it was, but the suppliers I tried couldn’t help.
So, the frame is almost done apart from little brackets and stuff as we haven’t got a fairing or seat to fit and the swing arm we should have complete by early January so we should have a rolling chassis that will look more like a bike !

And the swingarm, we have welded the centre section in now and the two front pivot mounts so this pic is a few days old.

Anyway, I shall keep this project post updated as it unfolds !

Ciao

Post subject: Re: TT F1 Endurance replica
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm 

greetings jaydeetz,

excellent efforts so far.
did you use a nickle bronze or silver bronze
filler rod on the frame joints?
if you pics of the frame build &/or bronze
welding process feel free to post
and
of course -- looking forward to future posts
& pics.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:55 pm 

Looking good! We allready met on FB didn't we?

Jarno

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:13 pm 

Now this is what you call building a bike! And pressing out your own swingarm! Another humbling experience. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:43 pm 

archimedes wrote:
greetings jaydeetz,

excellent efforts so far.
did you use a nickle bronze or silver bronze
filler rod on the frame joints?
if you pics of the frame build &/or bronze
welding process feel free to post
and
of course -- looking forward to future posts
& pics.

Cheers dude, you know what... I have no idea what filler rod it is we use. My Dad does all the brazing but I do know the rod is 3mm. It is a grade he normally uses for T45 though, and what he has always used on the steel frames we do...so its always worked with no failures. Flux is Siflux I know that much. I do all the machining really, and a bit of alloy welding. We didnt want to Tig the steel as we have seen failures before on others, so we just stick to what we know.

TT1-F1 wrote:
Looking good! We allready met on FB didn't we?

Jarno

Jarno, yes I think we did mate !!
This forum will probably appreciate the build a little more..at least most people will know what an TT F1 is !!

618F1 wrote:
Now this is what you call building a bike! And pressing out your own swingarm! Another humbling experience. MikeV

Ha ha, cheers.
Its only metal at the end of the day and we do enjoy making the bikes...

but...thing is, we have an '09 R6 racebike in the workshop as one of our friends has bent a valve so we need to fix it for him...I had a sit on it and it took me back to my Supersport days...think after this season its back on 600's for me !!

Also, has anyone got any good contacts for a fairing and seat in the UK..I have no idea where to go for them. We have got a smashed top fairing, so we was going to repair and mate it to a bellypan with some re-work..but the seat???

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:55 pm 

Quote:
so its all systems go again, woohoo !
You're not kidding! Welcome. Very impressive project, best wishes with it, have fun and keep us posted.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 am 

I'll let you know where to get a decent seat unit from if you build me a swingarm like that baby! :D

Excellent work fella, wish I had an ounce of the skill that I keep seeing here on this forum!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am 

Now that project looks really impressive, (my type of project ). So cool to press your own swing arm. Please keep sending the photographs, I really do want to follow this one.

Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 am 

Thanks, for those interested here is the bottom half of the tool I made (in my dinnertimes, ahem) to form the ribs, the top half took longer as I had to machine away more material. I did have a pic on my works phone of it under the press, but I think I may have deleted it !

I almost got the two mating halves exactly in centre with each other, but it was 0.3mm out on one end...must be losing my touch now I am in the office, but in the first off pressing it came out OK so I never bothered about it, but you cant tell when its been formed unless you look for it - but now I have told you lot, dont tease me, LOL :D
Its also got radii on the ends (thats why the ends are round) because you cant press it with square edges as the metal cant be formed that way, but I think it gives it a modern-classic look and its a nod to the original, which seemed to be machined off flat for the adjuster area (I think they mist have started with a # style extrusion and machined the 'fins' off they didnt need).

In any case, I am glad we did it this way rather than have it just flat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm 

Awesome, please keep us up to date!
Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next