DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: TT F1 Endurance replica
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:35 pm 

No probs, I need an email addy to send it to though.

JD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:17 pm 

hizlordship@hotmail.com, think you.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:16 am 

Done !! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:48 pm 

We have nearly finished the plugs for the moulds, Dad was saying tonight that this build seems like its been going on for ages.
Tomorrow we will start laying on the glass ready to become the moulds for the fairing, seat and bellypan. We will also quickly make a clutch cover mould, but thats not so bad as its just laying over the original metal version. We are actually really pleased with how the fairing has come out, different to the road going ones, more aggressive, smaller and generally just that bit more racey! A carbon duct will be inserted once we know the dimensions for the oil cooler, but until we know the size we cant really do much, but the plan is to cut a hole and the duct go right up to the cooler in bare carbon...which will be unpainted.

Everything in the garage has been covered in white dust, so any engineering work has stopped, we cant start on teh motor till all this dirty work has finished really.

Dad in action !!

Worktable non-usable, and this was blown clean of dust !!
Crank dissasembled for weighing, and stock rods and pistons not needed anyway..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:34 pm 

Am getting racers withdrawal now, I really need to get out there !

So we pulled the plugs from the moulds, I stuck the fairing plug on to see how it looks (before we chuck it in the bin) cos I am a big kid and plonked the seat mould on just so we could see how it all looked. The seat looks kinda big, but we made it with enough material to trim it down.
Will leave the hole out for the cooler until we get one from the breakers.

Anyway, all the moulds are done now so we can start laying them up :)

Complete new bearings for the motor are needed, so once I get those its pretty much easy from now on in, have decided to use R6 calipers and master cylinder because they are quite good and the compounds are good too from EBC. The rear caliper will be a Brembo mini...off ebay, possibly one of those copies for £20 !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Bits and bats done, bits ordered from ebay such as oil cooler etc.

We sort of fitted the fairings today and got it down off the bench to get a lie of the land so to speak...wow, it feels like a big 250 and with 100hp and only 135kg we reckon this is going to be a really fun bike to race !!

Heres my Dad trying it out, all credit to him..fantastic engineer, racer and Super-Dad :D

The fairing edges and seat still need trimming and cutting but its looking good....however, the bottom of the fairing doesnt point down enough towards the front wheel- it sits kind of flat so we need to alter it which is no big deal, being up on teh bench and on a paddock stand we messed the angle of it up, doh !!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm 

Looking Great Jaydeetz your Dad and yourself ding a great job Front end looks really good and the fairing is real aggressive not too sure what way you said you cut it down but looks much better than mine are they flat slides that you are using ?
keep the pictures coming and if you happen to be doing another fairing could you put another name on the list
Congrats
Old Blue.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 pm 

oldblue wrote:
Looking Great Jaydeetz your Dad and yourself ding a great job Front end looks really good and the fairing is real aggressive not too sure what way you said you cut it down but looks much better than mine are they flat slides that you are using ?
keep the pictures coming and if you happen to be doing another fairing could you put another name on the list
Congrats
Old Blue.

Cheers Oldblue !

We cut out just over an inch below the blisters all the way accross the front and tilted it back as well a few degrees..we also brought in the sides of each side of the screen so they dont stick out as much. The blisters are also bigger than they were.

Yes, I have TM41 flatslides, pretty good looking carb but never used them before except a TM28 on my 160cc pit bike !! How different can they be? :D

Wont be making any fairings until this bike is done, but the reason we made a set of good moulds is to make more :-), so give us a holler or remind me later in the year !!

John

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:54 pm 

Been waiting on engine bearings to arrive and they did today, so we can start on building the motor back up and decking the cylinders etc.
We have had a TZ750 in to make pipes for, so thats taken a week and half to do that.

Not that much done on the F1 bike, except the rear brake mounting bracket and torque arm...we also made a frame brace so we can wheel it about without the engine in and machined the R6 wheel and spacers to fit.
The rear brake is actually a CNC mini 4 pot Brembo copy, I had it given to me by a mini-bike importer a couple of years ago who I used to ride for...it looks trick, but is obviously not period...I may change it later on for a 2 pot Brembo but with money running out fast I just need to get on track and sort out details later on.

My oil cooler arrived, decided to get the biggest one I could possibly fit and for £35 brand new its not too bad...it really does just fit too but should provide more than enough cooling. I cut off the side mounting brackets and will weld on top mounts and one single bottom one, just to stabilize it.

First race is in two weeks....I very much doubt its going to be race ready but I will be racing the F1 RG500 instead, so at least I can get out there. Its at Oulton Park and the prospect of racing the RG on sticky slicks, round Oulton is almost too much to bear, but going to give it my all and hopefully get on the rostrum or even better :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:55 pm 

Been following your build I only wish I had a 10th of your talent...what brand and supplier of the oil cooler?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next