DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F3 CONVERSION INFORMATION NEEDED
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 am 

Hi Guys,

I just bought a F3 Ducati and intend to set it up as a cheap racer. I was wondering what is the biggest engine increase I can do and what is typically the best cylinder / head upgrade (Best being cheapest and preferably simplest) Maybe 500cc pantah? Bore and sleave what I got??

I have a set of 38mm Mikuni flat slides as well seperately and was thinkning they could work on a racer 500cc version, possible, worth it??

I have a spare second hand 750SS alloy swingarm I want to fit, can I run a 750ss rear rim, worth it??

Most liklely this stuff is covered and tell me to look if thats the case, but appreciate just some basics to start the search for what I need.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: F3 CONVERSION INFORMATION NEEDED
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:55 am 

There were 550 cc kits for the 350 F1, te ss swingarm will not fit the bigger hole in the F1 carters. Cheapest will be a paso, 750 sport, 600/750 ss/ monster engine with the 350 heads fitted I think.

Jarno

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm 

The alloy swingarms from an early 90's 750SS should fit as they used the same size swingarm pin as the ones from the Pantah, F1 and 750 Sport engines.

There maybe a problem with geometry though as the mounting point for the shock on the 750SS swingarm is further back. This is to allow for the rear exiting exhaust on the later engines, so you may need a longer shock. Still worth it in my opinion though, in order to get 17 inch wheels and a wide choice of tyres.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:46 pm 

Scope for tuning is pretty limited with the 350 heads, even with a 550 kit the engine runs out of breath at high revs.
finding a pair of 600/650 heads opens up lots of possibilities, like sticking them on a 750 bottom end.
a indiana bottom end fits without mods, a pantah bottom end needs new bushes for the swing arm pivot
but 650 heads are getting extremely rare....

if you can find the swingarm from a 750 sport ( the 89-90 16 inch ones), the swingarm slots right in , making room for a 17 inch rear.
That is what i plan to use on my F1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:53 am 

I was also thinking of finding a complete 650cc Alazuura engine from a wrecker and slotting it in as the easiest mechanical process as I have limited mech skills.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 pm 

ozzy909 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I just bought a F3 Ducati and intend to set it up as a cheap racer. I was wondering what is the biggest engine increase I can do and what is typically the best cylinder / head upgrade (Best being cheapest and preferably simplest) Maybe 500cc pantah? Bore and sleave what I got??

I have a set of 38mm Mikuni flat slides as well seperately and was thinkning they could work on a racer 500cc version, possible, worth it??

I have a spare second hand 750SS alloy swingarm I want to fit, can I run a 750ss rear rim, worth it??

Most liklely this stuff is covered and tell me to look if thats the case, but appreciate just some basics to start the search for what I need.

Thanks

Cheap racer? No such thing.. :D

Seriously, though - a motor swap (Ally) makes the most sense and preserves the F3 motor which aside from being a curiosity, has some value as it is. We did a "budget" F1 racer about 8 years ago using 17's and forks from a 750SS and the swing arm from a '90 Sport. ..Ground clearance was a bit of an issue with the shorter 750SS forks, but the bike was fun.

Regards,

Profile Personal album