DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clutch Pack
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm 

I'm hoping someone can school me on the correct order and stack height for the clutch plates that are used in the large diameter Pantah and Alazzurra wet clutch. The part numbers I have are 06611 6690 single sided driving disc. 06611 6670 driving disc and 06611 6530 driven disc. OEM Cagiva numbers. Hate to say it but I'm finding the factory manuals a little confusing at times.
Flattop

Post subject: Re: Clutch Pack
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm 

Here is my flippant answer Flattop - you worry too much.

If you look at the specs for different 600-750 wet clutch models over time you will see a myriad of specs (Falloon) from Ducati; it seems to me that they have not figured it out yet, after 45 years or so. 14, 15, 16 discs. And lately 18+. Who knows? And on various websites there were still complaints about slipping clutches past the year 2010. There were 3mm, 2.5mm, 1.5mm, and even 1mm driven discs; the driving discs are all about the same, so no choice there.

My answer is to build an alternating stack using 14 to 15 plates that leaves about 5mm of free space inside the circlip ring before it is all bolted up - only hand pressure. You may have to juggle thicks and thins. You may start with a driven steel plate on the bottom, or a fiber driving plate, whatever works as long as the unique top discs is there where it should be. The depth of the basket is your limit. The next question is what springs to use; the 2.45 or 2.70? Or, 3 of each?

And the there is the oil. Hah. Another factor. I would say avoid synthetic.

Just give it a go. Removing the clutch cover to try again is not as bad as the alternator side.

MikeV

Last edited by 618F1 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:30 pm 

It's all good Mike. The manuals are all over the place with numbers and placement. Whereas the aftermarket stuff makes no mention of the "specialty discs". I researched a bit more and the main thing is stack height regardless of disc thickness. What that height is, is the question. I've seen anywhere from 38 to 46mm.
Best Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:40 pm 

Very good. That is when i say to put (shove) everything together except the release plate and springs, and then measure between the inside of the retainer ring and the outer surface of the outside driving plate steel surface. 5mm to 4.5mm will be OK, but anything less will likely result in a poor release when you pull the lever; there will be a slow creep in neutral or difficulty in cleanly shifting. Sometimes you just have to go back in and substitute a thicker or thinner plate, or even add or remove one at the bottom. Oh, and when you put in the last steel driven disc it must not slip out of the top of the aluminum clutch hub - that certainly means the stack is too high! Finally, often we cannot really identify what parts we actually have (mixed and matched components), so a specific stack height is not that useful once modifications start. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 pm 

Here is something I found to be the opposite of what I thought would be correct. The clutch stack for the 750 Elefant actually starts with a driving disc and ends with the one side friction disc. Would that not cause undue wear to the bottom pressure plate? Photo is for model identification.

Attachments:
Screenshot (571).png
Screenshot (571).png [ 182 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]
Screenshot (573).png
Screenshot (573).png [ 176.6 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:43 pm 

Interesting find!